The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Love

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Love

Postby SliK » Nov 28th, '12, 01:53

I'll keep this one short, as I'm not well versed in this topic.

What is love, and why do we feel it?

I felt like I was in love when I was 18, she was my first serious girlfriend and it ended after 3 years. By the end I wasn't sure if I loved her. Since then, I've never felt 'love'. I don't even know if it was love that I felt for her, it was just that crazy excitement/nervousness that you feel at the start of any relationship. Then she was my best friend. Is that love?

I think love is really more of a choice than a feeling. I mean we (humans) can feel that excitement/nervousness for many people, but we choose to spend our lives with the ones we respect the most, or the most compatible, or the hottest, etc. I don't subscribe to the idea of a "soul mate".

So what is your take on it? How would you define love.. Do you think there is one person out there for everyone, or are we programmed to move on and 'fall in love' all over again?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Love

Postby CrashBand » Nov 28th, '12, 02:05

There is obviously not one person out there for everyone.

I'm not sure myself either, when it comes to love. I have certainly felt somewhat infatuated with someone and as of recent, I'm finding a break-up pretty hard to deal with - I pretty much got smashed 4 times a week for the last two weeks.

I think, I mainly miss the companionship and the fact someone is caring for you, rather than the actual person themselves. But I'm not too sure.
Last edited by CrashBand on Nov 28th, '12, 02:07, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby CrashBand » Nov 28th, '12, 02:06

I love eminem as well.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Block » Nov 28th, '12, 02:12

"Love is just a chemical by any other name" - Eyedea

He's right. Joe Rogan has talked about this many times in his podcasts. Love is a release of chemicals in your brain originally designed (as one theory goes) to protect the young from getting left behind / eaten, etc. It's a trick the mind plays on everyone for reproductive purposes. Everything we do in life, whether consciously or not, is for reproduction.

Have you ever hung around a girl and not been attracted to her AT ALL? Then one day you're thinking about her non-stop? That's because of the chemicals released in your brain while with her. Your body is telling you that she is mating material.
For $5...
Block
Renegade
Renegade

Location: Tried to die young with my true love; ended up a millionaire

Postby SliK » Nov 28th, '12, 02:16

Then why bother making people attracted to one another? I mean, I still want to fuck people that I don't love. So why introduce love at all, it isn't the driving force behind wanting to have sex.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Nov 28th, '12, 02:21

SliK wrote:Then why bother making people attracted to one another? I mean, I still want to fuck people that I don't love. So why introduce love at all, it isn't the driving force behind wanting to have sex.

Ah, lol.

For the same reason we have the urge to have sex. It's a force that increases chances of reproduction.

I saw an interesting TED talk on it, now I think back. Can't remember who it was though.

It was saying the reasons for love are pretty similar to lust. To increase our chance for reproduction.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby CrashBand » Nov 28th, '12, 02:23

Love's pretty interesting though. How we sacrifice ourselves for people that we love.

I guess it's all to do with passing down our genes though.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Block » Nov 28th, '12, 02:23

SliK wrote:Then why bother making people attracted to one another? I mean, I still want to fuck people that I don't love. So why introduce love at all, it isn't the driving force behind wanting to have sex.

I couldn't answer that. Human emotions are probably the single most complex phenomenon ever. Why do we have them? Who knows. Why dont we just live off instinct and sense ? Who knows.
For $5...
Block
Renegade
Renegade

Postby CrashBand » Nov 28th, '12, 02:26

Block wrote:

I couldn't answer that. Human emotions are probably the single most complex phenomenon ever. Why do we have them? Who knows. Why dont we just live off instinct and sense ? Who knows.

Surely love is a pretty instinctual behavior?

Animals show signs of love and compassion.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Block » Nov 28th, '12, 02:30

CrashBand wrote:
Block wrote:

Surely love is a pretty instinctual behavior?

Animals show signs of love and compassion.

I dont think I was clear. We do have natural instinct and common sense. But we dont live purely off of them like most animals. If I'm not mistaken, the only other species known to have true emotions are dolphins.

From a nature perspective, emotions are very counter-intuitive. They often times are more detrimental to our health and well-being than they are good.
For $5...
Block
Renegade
Renegade

Postby CrashBand » Nov 28th, '12, 02:52

That was me being an idiot, lol.

You said "Why dont we just live off instinct and sense".

But yeah, that was sort of what I was getting at as well - when questioning why we would die for loved ones.

I guess a lot of it can be pinned down to your genes carrying on. People were similarly perplexed why humans are altruistic.

But some of the ways we think and operate surely seems to be counter-intuitive, as you said.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Nov 28th, '12, 03:04

Love is the same as any other emotion, just a chemical reaction in your brain.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby CrashBand » Nov 28th, '12, 03:10

Way off topic. But I was thinking to myself the other day - the same chemical that's released during sex and some drugs which gives us pleasure/euphoria.

When we shit, we may have evolved to release a bit of that. Some shit's are just too damn good.

I mean, I'm talking our take-your-t-shirt-off shits.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Nov 28th, '12, 03:31

CrashBand wrote:Way off topic. But I was thinking to myself the other day - the same chemical that's released during sex and some drugs which gives us pleasure/euphoria.

When we shit, we may have evolved to release a bit of that. Some shit's are just too damn good.

I mean, I'm talking our take-your-t-shirt-off shits.

Maybe you're gay and your brain thinks the shit is a penis
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Block » Nov 28th, '12, 03:43

Lololol.
For $5...
Block
Renegade
Renegade

Next