The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Faggot

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Faggot

Postby Willy » Dec 8th, '12, 02:49

Always and currently contradict each other. But i give up for now you stubborn faggot :)

Also:

"I seriously think you are being a bit simple in thinking saying faggot as an insult isn't a major factor in prejudice towards gay people."

Prejudice towards gay people is a major factor in faggot being used as an insult.
You have it backwards.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Dec 8th, '12, 04:03

WilyMo021 wrote:Always and currently contradict each other. But i give up for now you stubborn faggot :)

Arguing semantics, when it's an irrelevant point.

Also:

"I seriously think you are being a bit simple in thinking saying faggot as an insult isn't a major factor in prejudice towards gay people."

Prejudice towards gay people is a major factor in faggot being used as an insult.
You have it backwards.

I agree with that. But it's holistic. - calling a gay person faggot is part of the prejudice - and is justifiably offensive.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Willy » Dec 8th, '12, 04:27

CrashBand wrote:
WilyMo021 wrote:Always and currently contradict each other. But i give up for now you stubborn faggot :)

Arguing semantics, when it's an irrelevant point.

Also:

You have it backwards.

I agree with that. But it's holistic. - calling a gay person faggot is part of the prejudice - and is justifiably offensive.

Welp now I really give up. :flower:

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Dec 8th, '12, 04:30

WilyMo021 wrote:Welp now I really give up. :flower:

Lol. :flower:

So your position:

You have no problem using faggot to insult gay people - as the word would be replaced anyway and it's not the source of the prejudice (obviously).

Or am I misrepresenting you?
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Willy » Dec 8th, '12, 04:52

My position:

I have a problem with people insulting gay people. I have no problem with the word "faggot" because the word is not intrinsically evil or the source of the prejudice. I call my friends faggots or fags sometimes and they are not gay. Saying that we shouldn't say this word or that word because it is offensive to some people only makes the words more offensive by placing a taboo around it. Remember back in kindergarten when kids would say cuss words and everyone would go "UMMMMMMMMM".

The fact is, faggot has been used, and is being used in ways that is NOT OFFENSIVE to fags. Look at this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=faggot

First definition: "In these times not really used if somebody is really a homosexual mostly used instead of calling somebody stupid or a loser."

Oh wait, there's more?

"A bundle of sticks"

"The Bottom in a BD/SM relationship"

"An extremely annoying, inconsiderate person most commonly associated with Harley riders. 2. A person who owns or frequently rides a Harley."

"A meatball, a traditional culinary dish popular in the United Kingdom. Often served with gravy and mushy processed peas. Any internet search for (faggots and peas) will show you the meatballs' authenticity. "

So "Faggot is used as an insult. Always" has been proven wrong. Same with "slut", "Niger", or any other word. You can't apply universal definitions to words that are constantly changing in meaning, adopting new meanings, and loses old meanings. No word will ALWAYS mean anything because language doesn't work like that. And also, you can't discredit Urban Dictionary as a source. Language is our attempt to communicate our thoughts, if these people are successfully using the words with the meanings they described, then they very much so are real definitions.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Dec 8th, '12, 05:32

Lol. You are arguing semantics at my statement that in everyday use - faggot is used as an insult - and it is. But let's drop this as it's irrelevant.

The insult faggot - meaning stupid person or loser - originated from a homophobic insult of gay people being a lesser form of human. And is still used as a homophobic insult.

So you have a problem with insulting gay people for being gay. Good. So you should have a problem with calling them a faggot.

And where me and you slightly differ is that you are fine with faggot as an insult - just meaning that someone is a fuckwit.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Willy » Dec 8th, '12, 05:37

How certain are you that faggot originated as a homophobic insult, not that it bears any weight against my argument? And the funny thing is, I was really good friends with a homo on my floor freshman year. One time he was looking at another dudes ass, and I told him to quit being such a faggot... we both shared a laugh. I have no problem with gay people, and yeah I guess that where me and you slightly differ is that you are fine with faggot as an insult - just meaning that someone is a fuckwit. But also faggot as a meatball, faggot as a Harley rider, and whatever other meanings faggot will adopt in the future. To me, it's about context and intent, not the word.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Dec 8th, '12, 06:44

Yeah same.

I just don't like faggot as an insult as a fuckwit or I can just understand why it should be considered offensive.

If you are talking about Harley that's fine then. I was sort of saying before that no one says that, lol.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Dec 8th, '12, 08:02

Who gives a fuck if they bypass the censor in a discussion about the word? Nobody is being called a nigger. I swear the admins and mods on this site only care about the stupidest fucking things and are too stupid to do anything that actually improves the site.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby SliK » Dec 8th, '12, 08:14

Menzo wrote:
SliK wrote:Menzo, I'm pretty sure we all stopped. Sometimes it is important to differentiate between 'er' and 'a' but surely typing n*gger or n*gga isn't bypassing the censor because we are censoring it ourselves.

That's considered bypassing the censor, unfortunately.

Alright, I didn't realise.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Blu » Dec 8th, '12, 08:25

classthe_king wrote:****er is one of my favorite words and I hate that I'm not allowed to say it (even though I do a lot)

When I stub my toe or drop my phone or something instead of my initial reaction being awh fuck or something like that it's usually awh ****er

LOLOL
Almostlity wrote:Grow up faggots

EminemInsider wrote:Jesus Christ, HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?!
Blu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby classthe_king » Dec 9th, '12, 01:19

Menzo wrote:
classthe_king wrote:Who gives a fuck if they bypass the censor in a discussion about the word? Nobody is being called a *****. I swear the admins and mods on this site only care about the stupidest fucking things and are too stupid to do anything that actually improves the site.

Oh, such a bad ass. Disses the censor system and implies to not care about whilst not going around it himself. Woah!

Because you guys would love to be the faggots to ban me for going around a censor. (Weird how I can say faggot but not the n word, while the whole purpose of this thread is how stupid and ridiculous that is.)
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby classthe_king » Dec 9th, '12, 06:29

Menzo wrote:But you said, "who gives a fuck" about bypassing the censor. Go ahead, bypass it. You won't, pussy. PUSSY!

In summation, respect the rules TR has established.

Yeah...you totally didn't understand what I was saying but then again I'm not surprised :coffee:
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby classthe_king » Dec 9th, '12, 20:01

Somebody posted this on reddit today

I'm gay, for the record, and people saying "faggot" on the internet doesn't bother me.
Why? Because most of the time they don't mean it as an insult or slur. And every time it's used in the non insult way, it's taking less power out of the people who want to use it as a slur.
Words are just that, words. They're strings of sounds with connotations given to them by society. And 4chan is taking an extremely negative connotation attached to the word "faggot" and making it less offensive. At the rate it's going, people simply won't be able to use faggot as an insult to gay people because it no longer means that.
It's already largely that way on the internet.
For example, imagine if you walked up to a mentally handicapped person and called him/her an idiot. Would people assume that you're commenting on his/her mental capabilities, or on something stupid he/she did? Or would people just assume you're angry at that person for one reason or another? It's more or less the same thing with "fag" and "faggot".
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby BigBoss » Dec 9th, '12, 20:05

ITT: OP, the grandmother of all faggots
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Debate