The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Obesity

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Obesity

Postby SliK » Dec 11th, '12, 01:41

Obesity is literally the only medical condition where the best advice would simply be to "walk it off". My view on this is completely biased - put the sausage down and go to the gym.

However, I'd like to hear from TR. Do you think it's a "disease", and people suffering from it should be treated the same as someone suffering from an actual disease, or do you feel that obese people are the only ones who should have to deal with their problems?

I don't think we should pay an obese man to sit at home on Goverment handouts because he is incapable (read: too fucking fat and lazy) to get a job.

Also, if someone has a bad knee, and they are playing hopscotch it is well within your right to say "be careful, this might damage your knee" but if you tell a fat person "don't eat that mars bar, you are adding to your obesity" they will take offense because it's a choice they're making. I hate when you hear them complain about clothes not fitting or having no energy - put down the maccas family meal you bought for yourself and walk around the block. It drives me crazy.

So.. Do you think obesity is a serious illness that should be treated with the same respect and level of seriousness as a normal illness, or do you think obese people are just making poor life choices like smokers? I don't know how the rules of transplants work but if smokers and alcoholics aren't allowed organ transplants then obese people shouldn't be either.

Thoughts?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Obesity

Postby Willy » Dec 11th, '12, 01:49

Agreed.

Something I find funny is how obese people socially adapt in order to compensate for their weight. You have the really nice ones that are basically big old teddy bears.. and sometimes you get the really fucking mean ones that shove me in lockers.. :(

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby classthe_king » Dec 11th, '12, 01:52

South Park's view on it is basically my view
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby SliK » Dec 11th, '12, 02:07

Menzo if he lost 40lbs he can lose another 40lbs.
I never see a "naturally fat" person eating fucking carrot sticks :coffee:
It's always cake and shit because "there's no point trying to lose weight because I'm naturally fat". As if. You probably tried for a week and caved in.

I think a much greater importance needs to be placed on educating people when they are young. I know of people who literally don't know any better. People who don't know sugar is a carb. People who think if something says "fat free" then it's healthy. :facepalm
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby ChristinaE12 » Dec 11th, '12, 02:16

A lot of them piss me off... Well, kinda. I don't really give a fuck about it/them. Until of course they start bitching about it. Then I'll get annoyed.

I also understand some people are just 'naturally' big or obese. As I am naturally thin. But, still very few are actually obese because of genetics/medical reasons. The rest need to quit bitching and do something about it.

People in general just irritate the fuck out of me though.
"If Life's a bitch and revenge is sweet... I'm the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet."

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Dec 11th, '12, 02:18

In my psychology class we talked about this. Genetics DO have an effect on obesity, but it's still possible to lose it. Just harder for people who are genetically effected.

As someone who used to be obese (360 pounds, now 230 and dropping), it's not a fucking disease. Just go running everyday and gym for 2 hours and you'll be fine.

Also,
Menzo wrote:Fat people piss me off.

And this, [quote="Menzo] fat people the cockiest motherfuckers in the world.[/quote]

Damn right, I had 0 confidence in myself. Now I can almost any girl I want.

Dat alpha.
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SoldierShady » Dec 11th, '12, 02:21

Obesity isn't a disease. The formula is pretty simple. If you eat a lot, you'll get fat. It happens on one's own accord. So that's that. My question however is that, if you're genetically predisposed per se, if you just eat the recommended daily 2000 calories per day (or whatever it is), will you still put on weight?

I'm so fucking glad I don't have to worry about getting fat, though. Like literally. I'm 5'10, 175lbs and I can eat whatever I want. #dinosaurmetabolism
Last edited by SoldierShady on Dec 11th, '12, 02:29, edited 2 times in total.
"So one last time, I'm back, 'fore it fades into black and it's all over, behold the final chapter in the saga, trying to recapture that lightning trapped in a bottle twice, the magic that started it all...tragic portrait of an artist tortured....trapped in his own drawings..." - Bruce.

SoldierShady
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Ticalrecords » Dec 11th, '12, 02:23

lolll that walk it off line is classic, that's a good point.

as far as obesity, i'd say the main problem is the kids see their parents eat like hogs and copy them and the fatness is perpetuated for generations. Moderation is not in their vocabulary and they don't seem to know the meaning of Excess either.

however, i wouldn't say that all fat people are lazy, they can be just as productive - sure they may take ten minutes longer on their lunch break - but other than that i don't think all of them are wasting away in front of the TV... or maybe they do, i wouldn't know. but its def NOT a disease lollll, that cracks me up everytime. unless you were born from fat fucks, then its in your genetics, and you got the deck stacked against you. but that doesn't mean you can't become healthy. it takes commitment.

@ the comment about fat people turned skinny being the cockiest, TRU DAT!
Ticalrecords
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SliK » Dec 11th, '12, 02:23

BigBoss wrote:Damn right, I had 0 confidence in myself. Now I can almost any girl I want.

Dat alpha.

Bitches love stretch marks.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby PAINKILLƎR » Dec 11th, '12, 02:25

ChristinaE12 wrote:People in general just irritate the fuck out of me though.
PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby BigBoss » Dec 11th, '12, 02:27

SliK wrote:
BigBoss wrote:Damn right, I had 0 confidence in myself. Now I can almost any girl I want.

Dat alpha.

Implying stretch marks can't fade.
Implying every fat person gets stretch marks
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SliK » Dec 11th, '12, 02:33

BigBoss wrote:
SliK wrote:

Dat alpha.

Implying stretch marks can't fade.
Implying every fat person gets stretch marks

Actually implying you can't get any girl you want.
Have your stretch marks faded yet? What about your loose skin, will that ever go away without surgery?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby BigBoss » Dec 11th, '12, 04:36

Hey dumbass, as long as you lose it in a good way you won't get loose skin.

And Menzo, obv I'm exaggerating but now that I'm buff and toned, I get more attention than I did before. That's what I mean.
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SliK » Dec 11th, '12, 04:59

BigBoss wrote:Hey dumbass, as long as you lose it in a good way you won't get loose skin.

We've all seen the biggest loser... you're not fooling anyone :y:
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby BigBoss » Dec 11th, '12, 05:00

Implying anything taken from TV is real.
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Next

Return to Serious Debate