The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Guns

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Guns

Postby ChristinaE12 » Dec 23rd, '12, 03:16

I've pretty much already addressed everything you said in prior posts..
"If Life's a bitch and revenge is sweet... I'm the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet."

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby psu24 » Dec 23rd, '12, 03:46

Citizens should only give up their weapons when the government and law enforcement do the same. I haven't read through every post but my position is simple, address the root of the problem. 1 in 5 Americans have some sort of mental illness. Someone who partakes in mass killing obviously has a problem, it's not like they wake up one day and decide they're going to kill. This guy clearly should have gotten help and had his parents paid any attention he may have gotten the help he needed and actually prevented this regardless of how many guns were at the house. 11,000 people die from guns in our country each year, 30,000 in auto accidents. Are you in favor of banning certain vehicles or banning alcohol? If not then it's total hipocrisy. I've never owned a gun in my life and have no plans on purchasing one but thinking banning guns will stop the violence and murders, while it may sound good, isn't true. The places in our country that don't allow weapons, "gun-free zones" have more crime. The criminals still find a way to get their hands on weapons. Creating laws and banning inanimate objects as a way to stop violence doesn't work and never will. We've already banned bath salts as well as other ridiculous things the last few years. You can't stop people from doing stupid and crazy things. I'm not really a big gun person if we could rid the whole world of them that would be great, it's just not realistic.
psu24
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby CrashBand » Dec 23rd, '12, 05:40

I always though it was "obvious point is obvious" that the gun laws/restrictions need to be reformed in the US.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Guess_Who » Dec 23rd, '12, 11:54

CrashBand wrote:I always though it was "obvious point is obvious" that the gun laws/restrictions need to be reformed in the US.

Yeah, but it seems everybody here from the U.S have a different mentality.

After the Connecticut shooting the arms sales have again increased dramatically and they are buying bulletproof backpacks for the kids.

Something is wrong with americans, and they guns policy, they are anchored in a tradiction that led every single retarded and insane to have a gun at home. Yet they keep defending their rights to own guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64G5FfG2 ... r_embedded
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SliK » Dec 23rd, '12, 13:24

Bulletproof backpacks :laughing:
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby NextEpisode » Dec 23rd, '12, 17:15

Guess_Who wrote:After the Connecticut shooting the arms sales have again increased dramatically and they are buying bulletproof backpacks for the kids.

As I pointed out earlier, the current mindset works like this;

Problem: Guns
Solution: More guns.

Who's the winner in all this mess? The arms industry/Weapon manufacturers.
NextEpisode
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ChristinaE12 » Dec 23rd, '12, 17:57

I love when people speak on shit they know nothing of. Or they are so biased it's ridiculous.

Two things...

Why are people not addressing the part that what you want will only remove the guns from the good, law abiding citizens who do things legal the first time. The 'criminals' will still have the guns. Why is this fact being ignored? And very well may be the most important. Why are drugs still available. Who exactly is using them? Criminals, non law abiding people, clearly.

Another is why not make cars and then alcohol illegal... The latter has absolutely no purpose at all. None. But yet no one says shit about it. Why? It causes far more deaths and the victims are completely innocent.

I'm more worried about getting taken out by a drunk driver than some random taking me out with a weapon. At least I have a weapon to protect myself from a gunman. I don't even see a drunk driver coming.

• One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving
• Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes
• Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities
• Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash

and more.. http://dui.lifetips.com/cat/61352/drunk ... index.html

Whats wrong with the picture here? Lets stop picking and choosing. Especially if you can't educate yourself. It's ridiculous.

/this shit is going to be clearly ignored and its obvious. So reply with more irrelevant bullshit.
"If Life's a bitch and revenge is sweet... I'm the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet."

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NextEpisode » Dec 23rd, '12, 20:12

ChristinaE12 wrote:I love when people speak on shit they know nothing of. Or they are so biased it's ridiculous.

Two things...

Why are people not addressing the part that what you want will only remove the guns from the good, law abiding citizens who do things legal the first time. The 'criminals' will still have the guns. Why is this fact being ignored? And very well may be the most important. Why are drugs still available. Who exactly is using them? Criminals, non law abiding people, clearly.

Another is why not make cars and then alcohol illegal... The latter has absolutely no purpose at all. None. But yet no one says shit about it. Why? It causes far more deaths and the victims are completely innocent.

I'm more worried about getting taken out by a drunk driver than some random taking me out with a weapon. At least I have a weapon to protect myself from a gunman. I don't even see a drunk driver coming.

• One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving
• Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes
• Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities
• Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash

and more.. http://dui.lifetips.com/cat/61352/drunk ... index.html

Whats wrong with the picture here? Lets stop picking and choosing. Especially if you can't educate yourself. It's ridiculous.

/this shit is going to be clearly ignored and its obvious. So reply with more irrelevant bullshit.

Thank you.

Let me try to address your two “statements”.

Statement 1, marked blue.

I mentioned this "problem" in a previous post. I do recognize that the proportion of legal citizens who are gun-owners are likely are drop more than the responding proportion for law-abiding citizens. This "problem" with proportion, I'd say, is the largest in the short-run, and is likely to get lower with time. That is, assuming that the government really makes an effort. I also think that, in general, a society with a mindset that is less-accepting to guns is to be preferred.

You also have to think of the alternative, should every person own a gun? Should every person have this gun with him/her all the time? I mean, we can't predict an attack from a random on the street? I.e. solving the consequences of guns, by increasing the flow of guns... I just read the other day that a US senator wanted every teacher to have access to a gun. What's next?

Someone mentioned earlier that quite a large proportion is born with mental illnesses. I think this was used as an argument not to reform the gun-laws (?). I don't agree. If a large proportion has problems with mental illness, we should - first and foremost - of course try to help these individuals to the largest extent possible. But we're not living in a perfect world, and we must accept that there will be exceptions; some people will still be excluded from treatment (etc...). And thus, it seems natural to reduce the potential damage these people can cause. How? Well, if the accessibility to guns was significantly reduced, that would be a step in the right direction. (Note that I'm not trying to make a case that all people with mental illnesses are bad or anything.)

Statement 2, marked blue.

There is a clear difference between guns and alcohol. The sole purpose of a gun is to shoot. (Whether it's for protection or not is another question). And when used, it will have direct-consequences on your surroundings. It is also sure to include a direct negative-effect.

Alcohol, on the other hand, only has direct effects on the person drinking it. It is likely to have indirect consequences, though, some of which that cause bad outcomes. But there are many things in this world that may have potential indirect consequences that are bad, when people make bad un-rational decisions. You mentioned the drinking-and-driving problems. Well, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the US has very "loose" and tolerant rules when it comes to the % level of alcohol in your blood and driving. If these rules were stricter, I'm sure the situation would be different. I also think the fact that you can get a driver’s license at 16 is a factor.

That said. Again, you have to consider the alternatives. Weigh pros against cons. Alcohol - in many cases (when used in the right amounts) - have positive extern-effects, in the sense that it can cause some people to be more social, and it may also enhance the experience for a lot of people. A large majority put more weight on the “positive effects” of alcohol compared to the potential “negative effects”. I don't think the same thing can be said for guns, however.

You could make an argument for a classification of alcohol as an illegal-drug, with quite a lot of supporting facts. But that's another discussion. And this post is already waaaay to long. So I'll stop here.

Merry Xmas!
NextEpisode
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ChristinaE12 » Dec 23rd, '12, 22:01

How is there a "clear" difference between guns and alcohol. There are more deaths directly related to alcohol by far than there is from guns. What's the excuse there.

You say to.. lets weigh the pros and cons but are completely leaving or ignoring the pros of guns. Do you know how many people who feed their families and others by using guns/hunting. Again you won't see that brought up. I'll say it again.. Guns are used far more positively than they are negatively. You just won't see that. Especially if you aren't from the US. But..No, lets just ignore that. You all seem to think cause there is a gun it's going to directly cause any harm somewhere down the road. An inanimate object. Not true at all.

Saying alcohol has only direct effects on the person using it is about as false as anything. I can say the same shit back around for guns.. It just isn't true though. I've showed proof to that otherwise. But we are going to ignore that because on the other hand alcohol can make someone feel better.

Also, it depends on what you mean by loose laws for drinking and driving. Every state is different. Some you can't have any alcohol at all and drive. Others you can have like .08 in your system. Regardless, these people are still breaking the law. Making it illegal wouldn't solve the problem. Same for guns.

You are completely missing the whole picture.. still.

Seriously we can go in circles. It's not getting anywhere.

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby cheeseburger » Dec 23rd, '12, 22:13

Are you fucking kidding me Christina? Guns are good cause they help people feed their families through hunting?
How the fuck do you think the rest of the world survive? Do you think we eat our own dogs and cats?
Besides, how many animals running around in the suburbs or inner citys require shooting?
Do you live in the 1800s?

You are beginning to insult me with your american waynof thinking. Pull your fucking gun out your ass and aknowledge that they have to go! Maybe not as a first step, but further down the road.
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
Theres no way you can save me
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ChristinaE12 » Dec 23rd, '12, 22:30

You already lost this debate. Get the fuck out of here. I'm speaking the complete truth you fucking idiot.

Is that how I do it..

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby cheeseburger » Dec 23rd, '12, 22:40

Whos said you were not telling the truth?

How did I lose? Just because I couldnt bare to discuss with you anymore and choose to leave?
There is no win/lose end to this debate. You want your fucking guns because they are fun to shoot with and can be helpful in stupid situiations that should be dealt with by other people. We other people who chose to live in 2012 and forward dont want any guns.

And stop saying alcohol and cars are more dangerous. More people have both cars and alcohol, which means more people end up dead or whatever.
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby psu24 » Dec 23rd, '12, 22:48

Christina is spot on, just keep educating with facts. Getting rid of all guns sounds great, but it's unrealistic. I used to be all for banning guns, then I turned 12. Then again these are probably the same people who think video games and movies cause violence as well. That's only true when you are fucked up to begin with. It's the people who need to change, mental health problems are all over in the US, that's the problem. Banning inanimate objects will do nothing to solve that. When you get rid of weapons you are only taking them away from people who do not commit violent crimes, basically taking away their right to defense and the violent criminals will continue to have them. I don't get what people don't understand about that.
psu24
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby cheeseburger » Dec 23rd, '12, 22:52

omg...

TAKE AWAY THE FUCKING GUNS AND DEAL WITH THE MENTAL ILLNES, CRIMINALS AND EVERYTHING ELSE THATS IN THE WAY OF A GUNFREE SOCIETY.

The rest of the world seems to have worked it out, so why not you?

Im out for real now, this shits ruins the christmas spirit...

Fucking cowboys.
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby psu24 » Dec 23rd, '12, 22:53

cheeseburger wrote:.And stop saying alcohol and cars are more dangerous. More people have both cars and alcohol, which means more people end up dead or whatever.

Wow seriously? No shit that's because more people purchase alcohol. Maybe we should make sure all alcohol bought is registered or just ban it all together, right? I mean it seems to have really worked with marijuana. Let's just ban anything that can even be perceived as dangerous and let men in suits run our lives, sounds like great fun.
psu24
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Debate