The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Was Albert Einstein Right About Buddhism?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Was Albert Einstein Right About Buddhism?

Postby AbramIsaac » Jan 28th, '13, 00:01

Albert Einstein wrote:The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism.

Time for some peaceful religious discussion.

Based on the general peaceful nature of the religion, and the lack of dogma associated with it, could Buddhism avoid the pitfalls of other theologies and be compatible with a changing world? For better or for worse, it's no secret that the Christian church in particular has resisted scientific progress when it may be incompatible with the preconceived notions of truth.

I say that in a historical context, because things may be different now. I know of scientists in the Catholic Church that don't look at the Bible as a straight-off historical document, and have a love for studying the universe that they feel their creator made. So I don't want to put forth a notion that I believe Christianity is by nature a close-minded religion, and I hope that no one misunderstands me there.

I'm just asking whether or not you believe that Einstein was right about Buddhism. This isn't about degrading another religion, or religion in general, but rather to open up a discussion from an academic perspective about the idea that Einstein put forth.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Was Albert Einstein Right About Buddhism?

Postby tadpole25 » Jan 28th, '13, 00:08

Here's the thing about Bhuddism though. There are different ways in believing in Buddhism.

Some Bhuddists believe in God and the concepts of Buddhism are incorporated into their religion.
Some Bhuddists don't believe in God at all.
Some Bhuddists believe that there are spiritual consequences such as nirvana/samsara for the actions.
Some Bhuddists don't believe in the spiritual, but do believe that the Bhuddist principles would increase fulfilment and happiness.
"I take yall diss as endearment - I love it when I hear it
Maybe words offensive - free speech I don't fear it
Maybe music can take us to a place so atmospheric
Beyond our greatest imagination, illuminatin' experience
If we open our ears and close our inhibitions, it's clear"
- Tadpole
tadpole25
Soldier
Soldier

Postby classthe_king » Jan 28th, '13, 00:10

I find Buddhism and most western philosophy intriguing and have been meaning to go check out some books on the topic to read about it some more.

In regards to your question, I think he was right about Buddhism being the religion that is most compatible with science and in a world where we wanted a religion I think Buddhism would be the best choice. However, I don't think there will be a religion of the future and I think that atheism/agnosticism will eventually be what everyone identifies themselves as.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby AbramIsaac » Jan 28th, '13, 00:23

classthe_king wrote:I find Buddhism and most western philosophy intriguing and have been meaning to go check out some books on the topic to read about it some more.

In regards to your question, I think he was right about Buddhism being the religion that is most compatible with science and in a world where we wanted a religion I think Buddhism would be the best choice. However, I don't think there will be a religion of the future and I think that atheism/agnosticism will eventually be what everyone identifies themselves as.

If you're looking for books, "Buddhism Without Beliefs" is a good one that clearly identifies the core practices of Buddhism and the fact that it is essentially a secular religion. "Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist" is by the same author, and basically chronicles his story on how he went from being a Buddhist monk to being a person of agnostic persuasion practicing the core teachings of Buddha.

He talks about how religion becomes what it is because of the churches, the practices, and the perceived need to have these things in order to reach enlightenment. He also talks about how the ideas of reincarnation and karma have been misinterpreted to make Buddhism fit the mold of a traditional religion.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby classthe_king » Jan 28th, '13, 00:27

AbramIsaac wrote:
classthe_king wrote:I find Buddhism and most western philosophy intriguing and have been meaning to go check out some books on the topic to read about it some more.

If you're looking for books, "Buddhism Without Beliefs" is a good one that clearly identifies the core practices of Buddhism and the fact that it is essentially a secular religion. "Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist" is by the same author, and basically chronicles his story on how he went from being a Buddhist monk to being a person of agnostic persuasion practicing the core teachings of Buddha.

He talks about how religion becomes what it is because of the churches, the practices, and the perceived need to have these things in order to reach enlightenment. He also talks about how the ideas of reincarnation and karma have been misinterpreted to make Buddhism fit the mold of a traditional religion.

That sounds great. I'll read it if our library has it. Honestly, if it wasn't for the language barrier I would love to go live in a Buddhist temple and just meditate and shit all day.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby BlueberryWun » May 6th, '13, 17:42

I could be mistaken but the whole concept of karma, reincarnation isn't even originally from Buddhisim is it?

MURDER, MURDER YOUNG G STRAPPED WITH HIS BURNER BURNER
BlueberryWun
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Serious Debate