The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Racism

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Racism

Postby SliK » Feb 20th, '13, 08:45

Person X is in an argument with an African American man, and the African American is frustrating Person X to the point that Person X feels very angry and dislikes this man (solely based on the argument and nothing to do with colour). Person X wants to hurt this man because he hates him, so he says the most hurtful thing he can to disparage this individual, so he makes a racial slur. Let's just say he uses the word nigger.

Person X is using a racial slur to hurt this man, but does that make him racist?

In my opinion it does not. There is a big difference between saying something horrible in the heat of the moment (Michael Richards) and having the belief that one colour or creed is superior/inferior to the rest (Hitler).

Person X certainly used a racial slur as a racist comment, but was it racism?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Racism

Postby Willy » Feb 20th, '13, 09:00

Agreed. You are trying to evoke a response.. it has nothing to do with actually being a racist. My roommates are saint-like but have the habit of screaming "nigger lover" during basketball games.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill You » Feb 20th, '13, 15:39

Yeah, making racial slurs doesn't make you a racist lol. Actually feeling hate for that race is racism. Feeling hate for an individual person isn't.
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby SajN » Feb 20th, '13, 15:42

I don't look at that as racism. Maybe it's offensive, but not racist.

In the situation you described, I think it's pretty pathetic to make a racial slur just because the argument isn't going well, and the skin color is different. I've never liked these kinda comments.
! Is He Nuts? No, He's InSajN !
SajN
The Almighty
The Almighty

Postby Trimss » Feb 20th, '13, 20:19

I don't know if it should be considered as racism, but even if it's not exactly that, it could be associated to it. If it's the first thing you really thought of to hurt him and it slips out of your mouth, it's maybe because you were already thinking about it.

But if you're saying it on purpose, it doesn't mean you're a racist, just a jackass lol.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby tadpole25 » Feb 20th, '13, 20:31

Everyone's racist. It's just a matter of extent.

Evolution decided that solidarity is an important part of life. We prefer people who are like us, most of the time.
"I take yall diss as endearment - I love it when I hear it
Maybe words offensive - free speech I don't fear it
Maybe music can take us to a place so atmospheric
Beyond our greatest imagination, illuminatin' experience
If we open our ears and close our inhibitions, it's clear"
- Tadpole
tadpole25
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Willy » Feb 20th, '13, 20:51

^Yep

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EminemBase » Feb 21st, '13, 00:38

Of course it doesn't.

We say "I'll kill you" or express thoughts which imply we want to seriously kill people or loathe them all the time, does that make us all serial killers or psychopaths...

Only if - you really feel that a race is X thing because of their race or prejudge them solely on that basis or use it as a reliable or meaningful basis for anything other than reference - then, you are.

If your friend or someone who annoys you is really fat and you're having an argument with them, you may resort to calling them "a fat cunt", doesn't mean you're prejudice against fat people, or women; it's just an obvious characteristic and shortcut to abuse.

We all notice each others differences (skin colour, height, weight, attractiveness) whether we admit it or not, which we should, as it's not wrong to notice or be conscious of difference, it's actually false and vomit-worthy, and deceitfully cowardly to pretend we don't have differences. But it's not racist to exploit that difference, even for abuse; that's just an obvious shortcut of provocation.

All depends about what you really feel, and why you say things. In the example you gave:

1. you feel angry.
2. you say 'that' to try and provoke, and hurt that person.

(no racist thoughts are involved there. The slur is an arbitrary provocation)

Remove the race aspect out of it and provoking and aiming to scold is what we do ANYWAY, so it's a mistake to give special credence or notice TO race, but people do because it's been more of a constant in history and tension. And a difference of which none of us control at all.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby SliK » Feb 21st, '13, 00:46

Well said, EmBase.

I was having this argument with someone in real life and she was arguing that someone who was truly not a racist wouldn't even have those racist thoughts. She said "I've never felt the need to bring race into an argument" (and lets face it, she is the benchmark of perfection :shakehead:).

I don't think it's unnatural to think those things sometimes, I do think it makes you an asshole if you say them, despite whether or not it is technically racist.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby EminemBase » Feb 21st, '13, 02:43

SliK wrote:Well said, EmBase.

I was having this argument with someone in real life and she was arguing that someone who was truly not a racist wouldn't even have those racist thoughts. She said "I've never felt the need to bring race into an argument" (and lets face it, she is the benchmark of perfection :shakehead:).

I don't think it's unnatural to think those things sometimes, I do think it makes you an asshole if you say them, despite whether or not it is technically racist.

Was she black though? Because all blacks are stupid.

Only thing I despise more than a racist is a black person. :8)
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby SliK » Feb 21st, '13, 04:08

I don't make friends with coloured people.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Hansen » Feb 21st, '13, 04:46

Nah not racism but still a bit edgy. I mean does 'X' absolutely have to use words involving somones race to provoke them though. I'm sure theres plenty of other more hurtful words in his vocabulary.
TrShady is just great. A place where pompousus blowhards can connect with other pompousus blowhards, and form a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Hansen
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Feb 21st, '13, 05:03

But, if you are saying "you fat cunt" / "you ugly cunt" as an insult, you may not have a prejudice against fat/ugly people. But by using it as an insult (negative connotations) you are virtually agreeing that it is "bad"/worse to be fat/ugly.

And the same for a racial slur. By saying it as an insult you are kind of "being okay with" the arbitrary negative connotations.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 21st, '13, 05:10

You're using a race-based slur. The term itself is racist, but that doesn't make you a racist. Granted, you are using hurtful terms with racial connotations as a tool, but that doesn't mean that you actually dislike people based on their race.

Racism as a tool. Much like slave owners used a race as a tool. 'Sall good is the point.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Feb 21st, '13, 05:13

Surely if you are okay with using it as a tool you are somewhat racist.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Next

Return to Serious Debate