The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Which word is more offensive: "Nigger" or "Faggot"?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Which word is more offensive: "Nigger" or "Faggot"?

Postby ganjakush56 » Mar 10th, '14, 17:36

SliK wrote:Faggots have been persecuted just as long as niggers have though.

slavery, jim crow laws, industrial prison complex, eugenics, etc. etc. etc. does not equal "persecution". The term 'faggot' comes from a time in European history, where gays were burned at the stake for violating some Christian paradigm. Burning at the stake is not nearly as bad as say being tarred and feathered or lynching kids for entertainment.
Dimethyltryptamine ;)

Ego: the pathology of human consciousness
ganjakush56
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Loch121 » Mar 10th, '14, 18:22

The word nigger is way more offensive than faggot, that's why homosexuals try to compare their struggle to the civil rights movement.
Loch121
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby ganjakush56 » Mar 10th, '14, 22:37

StayWideAwake wrote:Yeah I guess the "offensiveness" is entirely relative to who you ask. One last thing though just for the sake of fun facts:

ganjakush wrote:The term 'faggot' comes from a time in European history, where gays were burned at the stake for violating some Christian paradigm. Burning at the stake is not nearly as bad as say being tarred and feathered or lynching kids for entertainment.

Etymology Dictionary wrote:The oft-reprinted assertion that male homosexuals were called faggots because they were burned at the stake as punishment is an etymological urban legend. Burning was sometimes a punishment meted out to homosexuals in Christian Europe (on the suggestion of the Biblical fate of Sodom and Gomorrah), but in England, where parliament had made homosexuality a capital offense in 1533, hanging was the method prescribed. Any use of faggot in connection with public executions had long become an English historical obscurity by the time the word began to be used for "male homosexual" in 20th century American slang

It's use in regard to burning at the stake is traced back to the Latin word "fascis", meaning "bundle", or "bundle of wood"
Etymology Dictionary wrote:Especially used for burning heretics (emblematic of this from 1550s), so that phrase fire and faggot was used to indicate "punishment of a heretic." Heretics who recanted were required to wear an embroidered figure of a faggot (bundle of wood) on their sleeve, as an emblem and reminder of what they deserved.

So yes, it was used related to burning at the stake, but not because of homosexuality specifically. The term included homosexuals, but wasn't synonymous with it. That connotation came after the fact. I hope everyone feels really enlightened on proper use of bigotry haha

Hmm, I see. Thanks. I still stand by my observation tho, that historically, blacks have been in relatively worer historical settings than gays .
Dimethyltryptamine ;)

ganjakush56
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby SliK » Mar 11th, '14, 02:06

Ok then, lol... based off that logic, what term is more offensive, nigger or kyke?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby ganjakush56 » Mar 16th, '14, 06:53

SliK wrote:Ok then, lol... based off that logic, what term is more offensive, nigger or kyke?

...god dammit, they're both hella offensive. Fuck this thread.
Dimethyltryptamine ;)

ganjakush56
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby SliK » Mar 16th, '14, 10:37

I would say Kyke should be EVEN MORE offensive than nigger, given what Jewish people have suffered for thousands of years.

No such expression as "the K word" though.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby cement » Mar 16th, '14, 12:30

I think a gay nigger would be more offended by nigger than faggot
NIGGAGANG: takeover 2014.
GANG:
Rollef$en, €anadaPure, Blog$ Mcgoo$h, $atan, €harlotte, Never_€nough, Tru€ Wiz, €xcitaz, D€rdyPK, Th€VipBro, N-R-G, md€maz, €€D€€, $nakebeast (FULL MEMBER), HotDawg, Pudding, Aton€, Mistah €vil, Jo$himura
R.I.P. to my homeboy £I£BuffDa[OG], we done lost you on the streets but you aint forgotten hombre.
SNITCH:
Stanbase
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=170027
#FUCKJABBA
cement
Soldier
Soldier

Previous

Return to Serious Debate