The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

cynicism

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

cynicism

Postby righfield » Sep 28th, '13, 21:30

Well, alot of eminem fans can be very critical of em post comeback, but this isn't just happening to him. It seems every rapper/singer/tv show etc seems to get criticised if their around long enough. Fans seem to enjoy watching a celeb/tv show fail and they love to voice their opinion about they suck sooooo much now on every internet forum. So here's my question to you, has the internet made us cynical or have we been this way as a species way before the internet came along?
there are no actions just reactions
righfield
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: cynicism

Postby righfield » Sep 28th, '13, 21:57

Yeah, i'm very pessimistic, but thats about life in general. It just seems like everyones a ctitic now and it saddens me abit, Nobody i've met in person displays so much cynicism as forum goers
righfield
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Kill You » Sep 29th, '13, 01:12

Yeah I'm a little cynical myself. I try to be caring but it's hard when the world is filled with dipshits.
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Hadez » Sep 29th, '13, 02:33

I'll try to keep this related to entertainment since it was an example you mentioned, but it can be applied to many social issues as well.

I wouldn't say it's directly related to the internet. I think the internet is contributing to the vocalization of said cynicism, but I don't think we're more cynical because of it.

I think that in this day in age it's a combination of things: being spoiled, and feelings. I can't speak for other countries, but in America, we're a bunch of cry babies. Think about the hot topics of today, like gay marriage. Why can't gay people get married? Because "boo hoo hoo it makes me feel this kind of way and I feel that kind of way because back in my day blah blah and I think my opinion matters and cry cry feelings." "I don't like Eminem's new stuff because he can't capture the feeling I had back when I was 15 and I'm 25 now." You can only have your first time once (except, if someone is going to be a smart ass about it, in cases of memory loss). We get so emotional when we try to relive our childhood. The same applies to movies, books, etc... Bitch and complain because this Transformers movie isn't 100% what you experienced as a child. "That movie is shit because it didn't bring those feelings from 30 years ago, shame on everyone who likes this." Guess what, it's your kids' first time, that's why they like it. We are very defensive about our "feelings." So then why do we rage if Eminem were to repeat his style? Being spoiled.

We have, I'd say, at least 10x more options for every genre of music now. If you look back in history before the year 2000 (to keep things simple), you can come up with a top 20 list of best country singers ever. Today, not only do you have past artists to choose from, but the plethora of new ones today. There's ALWAYS something new coming because it's so easy to do, to be honest. Plus, I'd say you can almost double the number of rappers compared to country singers. "Eminem isn't giving me something new anymore, fuck him. I'm switching to this rapper I just started listening to. He's at least giving me something fresh." Guess what? You're getting your "It's new and exciting to me" feeling you use to had with Eminem. And you'll have the same opinion towards him as you have towards Eminem now.

In summation, we want everything the same for feelings sake, but we want everything different because we're spoiled and want/can get more more more and don't have to "settle" for the same. Thus the tug of war with your own opinions that cause you to hate everything. Nothing will ever be good enough.

EDIT: as far as the celeb bashing and such goes, that just comes with the personality of always having to go against the grain. some people like to be on the "this is popular" band wagon, and some go out of their way to hate the "this is popular" band wagon.
Hadez
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Willy » Sep 29th, '13, 17:47

What does cynicism mean - can't look up atm no internet.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Willy » Sep 29th, '13, 18:20

Well outside of family are we born with a natural distrust of others..? Given that we are... and if one had had a bunch of negative experiences with others one might become a cynic. Its definitely been around before just the internet... but the internet might convert or make a nigga more cynical. Nigga soup

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby righfield » Sep 29th, '13, 19:34

bigray, hadez and insane trex you guys all came up with brilliant answers. I agree with all of you guys tbh. Has anyone ever heard the expression rose tinted glasses? I think nostalgia plays a big role in the cynicism we feel. I have 3 younger siblings and some times I catch myself saying oh kids show were so much better when I was a kid or my generation was the last innocent generation, but then I realise that's bullshit and it's me wearing rose tinted glasses again. Anyone else get this?
righfield
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby UofLCard » Sep 29th, '13, 20:44

Certain websites such as Yahoo News has made me quite cynical about life. I try to stay away from there.
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Postby righfield » Sep 29th, '13, 22:43

News is poison to me. It focuses on the negative to get our attention.
righfield
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Amadeo » Sep 30th, '13, 15:47

You know what makes you cool? Being jaded. Being a critic. Being nonchalant.

You know what makes you uncool? Being enthusiastic/passionate about anything. If you are passionate about something enough to analyze it in detail, you are a nerd, and other people might call you out on it. You care too much, bro. You're too mad.

Being sincere is also not cool. Nor is correct punctuation and grammar.

u gotta be rly post-modern and edgy with the way u speak now, brah. using relaxed spelling/grammar that borders on leet speak makes ppl think im just a chill casual guy...hey, i def could use correct spelling if i wanted to, but im just so nonchalant lol. theres also the ironic element of surprise that im typing like an idiot but the content of my posts says otherwise...that makes ppl think im cool

Why bother adding good points to a discussion? Too risky. You have to sit there and think them up...pfft. Fuck that. Not to mention the danger of fucking up and making a bad point, and someone mocking you for it. Easier to just wait until someone else makes a bad point, and then you can mock it.

You can be the internet equivalent of the kid who goes around kicking over other people's sandcastles.
Amadeo
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby righfield » Oct 3rd, '13, 23:08

Amadeo wrote:You know what makes you cool? Being jaded. Being a critic. Being nonchalant.

You know what makes you uncool? Being enthusiastic/passionate about anything. If you are passionate about something enough to analyze it in detail, you are a nerd, and other people might call you out on it. You care too much, bro. You're too mad.

Being sincere is also not cool. Nor is correct punctuation and grammar.

u gotta be rly post-modern and edgy with the way u speak now, brah. using relaxed spelling/grammar that borders on leet speak makes ppl think im just a chill casual guy...hey, i def could use correct spelling if i wanted to, but im just so nonchalant lol. theres also the ironic element of surprise that im typing like an idiot but the content of my posts says otherwise...that makes ppl think im cool

Why bother adding good points to a discussion? Too risky. You have to sit there and think them up...pfft. Fuck that. Not to mention the danger of fucking up and making a bad point, and someone mocking you for it. Easier to just wait until someone else makes a bad point, and then you can mock it.

You can be the internet equivalent of the kid who goes around kicking over other people's sandcastles.

Are you reading my mind right now? I feel the exact same way.
righfield
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to Serious Debate