The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Intelligence (Definition, IQ tests, Importance)

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Intelligence (Definition, IQ tests, Importance)

Postby unmissingpiece » Nov 3rd, '13, 21:39

How would you define intelligence? Logic, creativity, abstract thought? Do you think intelligence has more correlation with nature or nurture? How accurate do you think IQ tests are?
unmissingpiece
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Intelligence (Definition, IQ tests, Importance)

Postby ladelsofgravy » Nov 3rd, '13, 21:51

IQ tests, in some way, measure overall intelligence but they are still domain knowledge. This is, in the same way, that winning a game of chess measures overall intelligence in some ways but is still domain knowledge.
TES > MMLP > MMLP2 > SSLP > Rec = Rel > Enc
ladelsofgravy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby CrashBand » Nov 14th, '13, 21:18

SWA implying that people wrongly discredit the accuracy of an IQ test due to scoring low, when he himself is wrongly crediting the accuracy because he scored (relatively) high.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby unmissingpiece » Nov 15th, '13, 02:19

Well, for me, I want to believe that IQ tests are accurate and all, because I was in the gifted program in elementary school. But the more I read into in, the more flawed the tests seem to be. I know a lot of really intelligent, well-rounded people who haven't been identified as "gifted," and many more who are far more articulate than I could ever be.

Do you think IQ changes overtime? Different studies have different results.
unmissingpiece
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby CrashBand » Nov 16th, '13, 01:17

I wasn't being serious, lol.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SliK » Nov 16th, '13, 01:32

IQ tests are fine, the WISC and the WAIS are great for measuring developmental milestones and how children and aldults compare against their peers. There are many different intelligence tests though to measure certain aspects of intelligence.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Hadez » Nov 16th, '13, 06:42

I think a lot of people mistake intelligence for educated. I know a guy that can remember a lot of information. He can absorb knowledge. But it boils down to just him being educated. He has the information, but cannot really utilize it. He doesn't have an answer for "Knowing what I know, what does this mean? What can I get from this?"

Having "knowledge" is all well and good, until it comes time to apply it to something and you can't. To me, that's when "intelligent" people come in. I've found in my life that the people I've met that I consider intelligent aren't necessarily the most "educated." Instead, the people who can apply logic to what information they DO have to come to a conclusion. So, I guess in a way you can say intelligent people better apply their experience to their unknowns.

I'll give a sample scenario to explain what I mean.
Person A is "knowledgeable" but not necessarily intelligent.
Person B is less knowledgeable but more "intelligent" than person A.

Person A is carrying a large wooden board on his shoulder, perpendicular to his body. However, it keeps falling off. He is taking physics in school and memorized the info. He knows that he needs to counter the weight of the board to get it to "balance" itself out on his shoulder. So, he has more of the board sticking out in front of him than in the back. The board will fall forward because gravity is pulling the longer "side" down. So, he uses his strength to lift against gravity to keep it up. The board is dropping because he's using his arms to hold the board up and they became fatigued.

Person B is given the same board to hold on his shoulder. He hasn't taken physics. However, by seeing how the board "reacts" to different lengths (forward or back) he deduces that he must counter gravity. What he does is has more sticking out behind him than in front. Gravity wants to pull the wood down behind him, making the front of the board move up. However, he rests his arm on the front of the board. The weight of his arm counters gravity pulling the back of the board, preventing the board from moving at all. Because he is using his arm's natural weight to his advantage, he is using less of his own energy and is able to carry the board.

Obviously this example is kinda ridiculous. I mean who doesn't know how to carry a board? But I think this explains what I mean. Person A knew a little about physics, but couldn't apply it. Person B knew little, if anything, about physics, but just figures this problem out on his own.
Hadez
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 16th, '13, 21:52

StayWideAwake wrote:Agreed about differentiating between intelligence and being knowledgeable or educated. Since DaVinci didn't have much of a formal education in Science scholars of the time brushed his ideas aside for a while assuming he didn't know what he was talking about. That turned out to be quite the incorrect assumption haha

"brushed his ideas aside", was that intentional? haha
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby unmissingpiece » Nov 16th, '13, 21:57

I agree with the knowledge/intelligence contrast. Although there is some correlation between the two.
unmissingpiece
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby dead prez » Nov 22nd, '13, 21:08

IQ tests are completely favor left brain thinkers, ergo they are worthless.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby classthe_king » Nov 22nd, '13, 21:18

dead prez wrote:IQ tests are completely favor left brain thinkers, ergo they are worthless.

Says the right brain thinker
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby SpiderDiaze » Nov 25th, '13, 14:20

Fuck intelligent people and all that shit, it's not what you know it's who you know.
TRShady's neighbourhood Spiderman!

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a spider can.
Spins a web, any size.
Catches thieves- just like flies.
Look out! Here comes the Spiderman.

ImageImage
SpiderDiaze
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Serious Debate