The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Capital Punishment

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Capital Punishment

Postby classthe_king » Nov 14th, '13, 18:28

Someone convince me to take their side because this is probably the only controversial stance I can't make up my mind over.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Re: Capital Punishment

Postby One Mic » Nov 14th, '13, 18:33

Troy Anthony Davis was an American man convicted of and executed for the August 19, 1989, murder of police officer Mark MacPhail in Savannah, Georgia.

One Mic
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Nov 14th, '13, 20:52

What's your problem with it?

We shouldn't have it :coffee:
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 14th, '13, 23:56

against..evidence can sometimes be wrong or falsified, plus is it the duty of the government to act out revenge on people?
its not very civilized and it hinders society
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 15th, '13, 00:17

bigray wrote:So Saddam and Osama should be alive I guess.

imprisoned for life
if they weren't already killed that is
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Nov 15th, '13, 00:31

bigray wrote:Fair enough but I'd shit and piss on them if I had a chance dead or alive.

That's an emotional and irrational stance that most people get.

Anyway, I'll wait for class to see if I can convince him.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 15th, '13, 03:12

Calandre wrote:
yoda you can call me wrote:
bigray wrote:So Saddam and Osama should be alive I guess.

imprisoned for life
if they weren't already killed that is

I confess I have a bit (just a "bit") of an issue with the "imprisoned for life" thing...

But, yes, they would be in prison

what's your issue brah?
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 15th, '13, 03:47

same time here brah, get some rest coz writing when tired leads to jibberish
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Snakebeast » Nov 15th, '13, 03:54

Thing is though, despite modern technology, there is always the possibility that the guy you convicted of a heinous crime is actually innocent. If he's alive, then you can at least let him out of jail (though of course, he'll never got those years back). But if he's dead......

I'm not for either side either, but this is something that should be considered too, in my opinion.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)
Snakebeast
Renegade
Renegade

Postby classthe_king » Nov 15th, '13, 04:50

Well for one I can't decide if I'm morally against killing someone for a sever enough crime or not. On one side, there's the free will argument that they didn't have any choice so you can't kill them for that and it would be possible to help them change. Using the same argument it might be out of their control and they're just a violent, irrational person by nature and it's better to kill them.

On the social side, evidence suggests that a state having capital punishment isn't really a deterrent so I guess that leans to being anti-cp but then there's all the taxpayer money you could save by just killing them rather than feeding and housing them for decades.

The you might kill an innocent man argument makes me also lean more towards anti-cp but most of the examples of that are from the 80's and I think with how far we've advanced with DNA and whatnot that it would be practically impossible for that to happen so idk
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Snakebeast » Nov 15th, '13, 04:53

Technology isn't, and will never be infallible. That's why it keeps improving.

There are certain people who really do need to be put down, though.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)
Snakebeast
Renegade
Renegade

Postby SliK » Nov 15th, '13, 06:14

Strongly in favour.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Nov 15th, '13, 07:02

classthe_king wrote:Well for one I can't decide if I'm morally against killing someone for a sever enough crime or not. On one side, there's the free will argument that they didn't have any choice so you can't kill them for that and it would be possible to help them change. Using the same argument it might be out of their control and they're just a violent, irrational person by nature and it's better to kill them.

On the social side, evidence suggests that a state having capital punishment isn't really a deterrent so I guess that leans to being anti-cp but then there's all the taxpayer money you could save by just killing them rather than feeding and housing them for decades.

The you might kill an innocent man argument makes me also lean more towards anti-cp but most of the examples of that are from the 80's and I think with how far we've advanced with DNA and whatnot that it would be practically impossible for that to happen so idk

Well yeah, you're half-way there in my opinion.

I haven't thought about my opposition to the death penalty at length, but my reasons can be gleaned from the general arguments for freewill (or the lack there-of).

Basically people don't DESERVE to be killed for something. It's an irrational feeling we get when someone commits a heinous crime because of the illusion of free-will. But it's irrational to want to kill someone purely because they "deserve it".

The only arguments that can be made for safety (i.e. a deterrent). As you said, it doesn't deter people.

So people don't deserve to be killed, and it doesn't deter people. SO the only argument you have left is saving money. No way in hell is that a good stand alone argument. Lets kill people (who don't deserve it) to save tax-payers money.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Nov 15th, '13, 07:08

Well if a dog attacks a person we kill the dog and that's pretty much the same thing

And what do you think about

"And a prior convicted sex offense against a four year old, why'd we let you live?"
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby SliK » Nov 15th, '13, 07:10

People who pose a legitimate threat to society deserve to to put down. Serial killers and mass murderes, mostly.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Next

Return to Serious Debate