The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

is nostalgia dangerous for proceeding in life

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: is nostalgia dangerous for proceeding in life

Postby Amadeo » Apr 23rd, '14, 16:35

Dwelling in the past is a waste of time, but most things are.

Everyone has things that they do that distract them from their goals or priorities...I wouldn't be worried if dwelling in the past is yours. It's better/healthier than what many other people do to piss their time away, like drinking and drugs.

I think most people have fond memories of their childhood and it's not just down to nostalgia. I think the world used to be a better place. There are too many people here now and too few resources to go around, so there are more angry people who feel they haven't got their fair share.
Amadeo
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Just Silver » Apr 23rd, '14, 16:36

Well said
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby TonyTilt » Apr 23rd, '14, 17:09

Amadeo wrote:Dwelling in the past is a waste of time, but most things are.

Everyone has things that they do that distract them from their goals or priorities...I wouldn't be worried if dwelling in the past is yours. It's better/healthier than what many other people do to piss their time away, like drinking and drugs.

I think most people have fond memories of their childhood and it's not just down to nostalgia. I think the world used to be a better place. There are too many people here now and too few resources to go around, so there are more angry people who feel they haven't got their fair share.

I was in Canada this weekend and when I came back to the US I realized that everybody here is just SO. DAMN. ANGRY. It blows my mind.
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Postby TonyTilt » Apr 23rd, '14, 18:28

Menzo wrote:Where in Canada? If it was southern Ontario then it's cuz we have so much pollution in the air we're constantly in a state of euphoria :flutter: :shifty:

Niagara Falls haha, the march to end marijuana prohibition was fucking awesome!!
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Postby TonyTilt » Apr 23rd, '14, 21:11

Menzo wrote:
TonyTilt wrote:
Menzo wrote:Where in Canada? If it was southern Ontario then it's cuz we have so much pollution in the air we're constantly in a state of euphoria :flutter: :shifty:

Niagara Falls haha, the march to end marijuana prohibition was fucking awesome!!

Dude you were like a half hour away from me

Faaaack I was gunna post that I was there just in case anyone else was there!

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Postby TheBoss123 » Apr 23rd, '14, 23:33

Amadeo wrote:Dwelling in the past is a waste of time, but most things are.

I agree with you about dwelling in the past. learning from experiences is important but dwelling on it only serves to stress you out.

But with the rest of what you said, the world is definitly not a worse place, people gravitate towards their childhood because that is their comfort zone, that was the time in their life where they didnt have to be worried or stressed about anything. The world is actually a better place, and it will continue to improve, as education improves, as tolerance improves, crime is down etc. The only reason these things appear more apparent is because of the way we give and receive information now, we're so much more connected, also news sources use events that are considered upsetting or bad, because thats what attracts people to watch. The world isnt worse, its just easier to see the negative than it is on the positive.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Amadeo » Apr 24th, '14, 03:16

TheBoss123 wrote:But with the rest of what you said, the world is definitly not a worse place, people gravitate towards their childhood because that is their comfort zone, that was the time in their life where they didnt have to be worried or stressed about anything. The world is actually a better place, and it will continue to improve, as education improves, as tolerance improves, crime is down etc. The only reason these things appear more apparent is because of the way we give and receive information now, we're so much more connected, also news sources use events that are considered upsetting or bad, because thats what attracts people to watch. The world isnt worse, its just easier to see the negative than it is on the positive.

Well, it's a fact that there were about 5 billion people in the world when I was young. There are now 7 billion people.

It's also a fact that oil companies have not been finding as much oil in recent times as they were when I was young. There is far less fossil fuel available. The economy and unemployment rates in my country and many others is a lot worse off.

This is not the kind of deal where one thing gets worse and another thing gets better, either. It doesn't work like that when water and oil are depleting. Not to mention all the countries that have obtained nuclear weapons now compared to when I was young.

The world is shittier. Do you think it will matter at all that we're more "tolerant" of one another when everything starts running out? And crime is only going to increase if poverty is going to increase (which it will).

Better medicine is a good thing, yes, but it ultimately won't matter. Many medicines are made from fossil fuel. Our entire society hinges on fossil fuels and they're running out and the oil is all in the Middle East, which is a complete warzone full of nutjobs. When I was a kid there were still nutjobs like Saddam Hussein, but now those nutjobs actually do have nuclear weapons.
Last edited by Amadeo on Apr 24th, '14, 03:32, edited 2 times in total.
Amadeo
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby EminemInsider » Apr 24th, '14, 03:21

One word for why the world (or at least the United States) is worse now: iPhone.

This article basically summarizes life in the US over the past 7 years or so: http://www.returnofkings.com/32975/were ... ne-zombies

Modern technology just takes the life out of life. It makes me think the Unabomber had a point.
Canning: What will it say on your tombstone?
Charlie Sheen: Something dot com.

Canibus & Eminem Converse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWB62t2_wJE
EminemInsider
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mdemaz » Apr 24th, '14, 07:29

Bad nostalgia sucks, like, good memories of friends that you don't talk to anymore.

It's probably the worst feeling ever.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby yoda you can call me » Apr 24th, '14, 12:29

Nostalgia can be good, when i drink, i shot some tunes on that remind of awesome times. But there's been times where i've fixated on the past for to long, it's not healthy. You've got to find the right balance
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby TheBoss123 » Apr 26th, '14, 07:18

Amadeo wrote:
TheBoss123 wrote:But with the rest of what you said, the world is definitly not a worse place, people gravitate towards their childhood because that is their comfort zone, that was the time in their life where they didnt have to be worried or stressed about anything. The world is actually a better place, and it will continue to improve, as education improves, as tolerance improves, crime is down etc. The only reason these things appear more apparent is because of the way we give and receive information now, we're so much more connected, also news sources use events that are considered upsetting or bad, because thats what attracts people to watch. The world isnt worse, its just easier to see the negative than it is on the positive.

Well, it's a fact that there were about 5 billion people in the world when I was young. There are now 7 billion people.

It's also a fact that oil companies have not been finding as much oil in recent times as they were when I was young. There is far less fossil fuel available. The economy and unemployment rates in my country and many others is a lot worse off.

This is not the kind of deal where one thing gets worse and another thing gets better, either. It doesn't work like that when water and oil are depleting. Not to mention all the countries that have obtained nuclear weapons now compared to when I was young.

The world is shittier. Do you think it will matter at all that we're more "tolerant" of one another when everything starts running out? And crime is only going to increase if poverty is going to increase (which it will).

Better medicine is a good thing, yes, but it ultimately won't matter. Many medicines are made from fossil fuel. Our entire society hinges on fossil fuels and they're running out and the oil is all in the Middle East, which is a complete warzone full of nutjobs. When I was a kid there were still nutjobs like Saddam Hussein, but now those nutjobs actually do have nuclear weapons.

I entirely disagree, but i guess we'll find out wont we haha or our children will. I dont mean to dismiss your points, because i see when youre coming from, im not oblivious to our dependence on oil either, because that is a huge problem, but id like to believe we'll figure it out. I still stand by what i said, and i dont believe the world is shittier, If i can find the statistics im using as a basis for my thinking, ill link them in here. I shouldnt have said "etc" because that really doesnt make my point clear at all. I probably wont convince anyone of anything, but i just find reading this section of the forum interesting lol.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim Fiasco » Apr 26th, '14, 09:03

Hmm, I think my only "problem" is that people I've grown up idolizing and being a fan of, are all past their prime or retired from what they're doing, so it kinda sucks that I don't get to "experience" them at their best. However, all those idols have been my age now when I was a kid/teenager so it's a cycle I guess. Now, it's our time to be the idols to somebody else :D

Other than that, until I turn 30 I don't have any problems really with the passage of time.

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Hopsinshadie » Apr 27th, '14, 11:49

Charlotte wrote:I'm one of those persons that remembers every detail. Like, every damn detail.

Me too. Is that why u like me, cuz u can relate?
Da MEDIA made into me a modern-day Genghis KHAN AT aint NO GAME DOG!
    Try to argue It was just entertainment dawg Entertainment DOG!
ImageImage ImageImage
Hopsinshadie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby cement » Apr 27th, '14, 13:49

lel hopsinshadie finna gove charlotte his noodle
NIGGAGANG: takeover 2014.
GANG:
Rollef$en, €anadaPure, Blog$ Mcgoo$h, $atan, €harlotte, Never_€nough, Tru€ Wiz, €xcitaz, D€rdyPK, Th€VipBro, N-R-G, md€maz, €€D€€, $nakebeast (FULL MEMBER), HotDawg, Pudding, Aton€, Mistah €vil, Jo$himura
R.I.P. to my homeboy £I£BuffDa[OG], we done lost you on the streets but you aint forgotten hombre.
SNITCH:
Stanbase
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=170027
#FUCKJABBA
cement
Soldier
Soldier

Previous

Return to Serious Debate