The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Are we more narcissistic than ever before?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Are we more narcissistic than ever before?

Postby yoda you can call me » Aug 29th, '14, 18:54

There was once a young man named Narcissus who was so vain that he fell in love with his own reflection in the water and died. In some versions of the mythological tale from Ancient Greece, Narcissus was transformed into a flower that today carries the name narcissus, or daffodil.

Like the flower, narcissism has continued to flourish in modern culture. “Selfie” was awarded word of the year in 2013 by the Oxford Dictionary. Capturing an image of oneself – once the purview of despondent artists – has become an international pastime. Even politicians rode the trend taking selfies at memorial services. Celebrities continued to be, well, celebrated as well. Miley Cyrus ended 2013 as the most searched person on Google, with Drake and Kim Kardashian coming in at the number two and three spots. Between them they have more “followers” than the population of an average country. And, as both Miley Cyrus’s career trajectory and research findings suggest, the importance of fame is more prominent than ever before.

In recent weeks, we’ve seen the Ice Bucket challenge thrive, but it has been revealed that less than half of people doing the challenge are actually donating. So, for some, is it really about awareness for ALS or self-promotion?

Read more on site

my facebook (yes i'm on it :shakehead: ) has recently been plagued with friends and family doing that damn ice bucket challenge, and i doubt half of them have them have made a contribution to anything,. I got nominated but fuck that, id rather just make a donation. Also, i was at a funeral a few months back and at the wake, certain family members decided it would be an appropriate time to take a selfie and post it on facebook :o) there's way too much ego these days. SMH

Thoughts?
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Are we more narcissistic than ever before?

Postby TonyTilt » Aug 29th, '14, 19:08

My thoughts are everything you said is true and our society sucks fat dick.
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Postby TheBoss123 » Aug 29th, '14, 19:14

I dont think so. I think we as humans are riddled with insecurities and care deeply about our own self image. We have always been this way, and I think now people are simply given more tools to express their narcissism, which I dont even think is always a bad thing.

With the ALS thing, it does more good, even if some of its principles are silly, its still spreading awareness for a disease, and helps those suffering from it/ that will suffer from it in the future.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fleka » Aug 29th, '14, 20:30

Aone10 wrote:I think people are just as narcissistic as they've always been, only now they have a means to show you just how narcissistic they really can be.

This. You nailed it.
Fleka
Role Model
Role Model

Postby ganjakush56 » Aug 29th, '14, 21:36

Fleka wrote:
Aone10 wrote:I think people are just as narcissistic as they've always been, only now they have a means to show you just how narcissistic they really can be.

This. You nailed it.

However, this assumed narcissism is rooted in Western philosophy and modern Western science. People have not always been this way; it is quite the contrary. According the evolution of Western philosophy, this evolved conception of self and ego that we experience today is a fairly new understanding if we compare it to the total time span of human consciousness. The Archaic period of Western thought was spanned far longer than the modern, contemporary Western thought that we utilize and experience today.
Dimethyltryptamine ;)

Ego: the pathology of human consciousness
ganjakush56
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Guess_Who » Aug 30th, '14, 10:51

Yes, we are. That's the way our society evolved. Think about how your grandparents lived. Maybe people wanted to be more than the neighbour back then, but now with the internet and stuff the competition became bigger.

I know people who don't enjoy to go somewhere because they are taking pics all the time and waiting to see how many likes they get, for some people is a drama if their pictures doesn't get likes enough.

Girls competing about who looks more hot on their profile pic, the selfies...now here is a trend everybody doing the ice bucket thing, of course almost noone is donating, the important thing is do it and make it as cool as possible.

Time ago people were exposed to their friends, family...now with the social networking, there is an increased exposure of people not only to their friends but to the whole world.
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yoda you can call me » Aug 30th, '14, 19:36

Yikes @ my errors, i was sleep doe. Good points guys.

TheBoss123 wrote:I dont think so. I think we as humans are riddled with insecurities and care deeply about our own self image. We have always been this way, and I think now people are simply given more tools to express their narcissism, which I dont even think is always a bad thing.

When would you say narcissism is a good thing?
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby TheBoss123 » Aug 31st, '14, 05:49

Yoda wrote:Yikes @ my errors, i was sleep doe. Good points guys.

TheBoss123 wrote:I dont think so. I think we as humans are riddled with insecurities and care deeply about our own self image. We have always been this way, and I think now people are simply given more tools to express their narcissism, which I dont even think is always a bad thing.

When would you say narcissism is a good thing?

Given the definition is "excessive" interest in ones self, I misspoke. But the rest of what I said I feel is still true. The ability to express our self-absorbedness has just become easier to do.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby slims » Aug 31st, '14, 19:20

i think people are more sell absorbed (than they've ever been before). A big part of it is because of social media and the internet in general. everyone seems to have this 'i have to one up this person' mentality.
slim shady, naughty rotten rhymer
- not an original sig but one from a different site I joined before this one.
slims
Renegade
Renegade

Postby runSA » Sep 1st, '14, 02:37

we are only more narcissistic now because of our culture. A lot of our stars and celebrities promote this self importantce image. People need to realize that alot of these stars have this image to entertain. Hell even im guilty of it on a small scale when i play football.Social media also allows narcissism because it lets people show off on a small scale to all of their followers. Obsession over anything is bad and that includes obsession over yourself
"This world is mine for the taking, make me king as we move toward a new world order"
-Eminem
RIP TR 2005-2014
We live on at http://www.hiphopshelter.com
runSA
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guess_Who » Sep 1st, '14, 11:06

We take care more about the looks these days. The image. We are in economic crisis but there is more plastic surgeries than ever.

Put facebook, twitter and instagram in the hands of someone who needs to be admired by everybody...
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Return to Serious Debate