The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Video exposes street harassment in New York

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Video exposes street harassment in New York

Postby Charlotte » Oct 29th, '14, 22:43

Well sorry Mrs. I do what's right and if people don't do what I do they're wrong.

If you tell a guy off, he's not gonna stop, he's just gonna start stupid discussion with you. and I don't have time for that nonsense. That doesn't mean I don't know my "worth", it means I know my "worth" good enough that those people are not worth my time as long as no one's physically harassing me.
Yo soy la princesa, comprende mis white lines.
Charlotte
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Guess_Who » Oct 29th, '14, 22:49

To be honest sometimes the best is just keep walking and ignore them, if you go into a discussion with them, depending who is the person it can be tricky. I only did it when someone touched me, for example like EG said, if someone grabbs your ass in the street or something like that. I also did it in night clubs with very young guys.

But another guys I prefer not to mess with. It makes you feel vulnerable but....
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby EG. » Oct 29th, '14, 23:33

U know it happens so fast, by the time you get over the shock and realize what happened hes long gone
EG.
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mdemaz » Oct 29th, '14, 23:36

dam
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Oct 29th, '14, 23:38

Calandre wrote:
Charlotte wrote:as long as no one's physically harassing me.
If somebody, male or female, grabs my ass in the street, that's "physical harassment" in my book.

ass grabbing a female is something i do by the third time i see said female. I'm not joking, its meant to be complimantary, it means i have enough interest in the texture of that ass that i decided to feel it. do you enjoy going to a club and not getting groped or hit on? lol
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Oct 29th, '14, 23:47

Calandre wrote:
Devil'sAdvocate wrote:ass grabbing a female is something i do by the third time i see said female. I'm not joking, its meant to be complimantary, it means i have enough interest in the texture of that ass that i decided to feel it. do you enjoy going to a club and not getting groped or hit on? lol

You are saying you already know this girl.
We are talking about unsolicited attention by random guys.

I did not even read the topic. but i do know some assholes who do that... the best thing you can do is just take in stride and be okay with it, some of them want you to get all mad and react... like i said these guys are assholes.

the problem is, this is something that can't be fixed, too many variables.
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby shadyblogger » Oct 29th, '14, 23:59

Damn
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby EG. » Oct 30th, '14, 00:26

Calandre wrote:
EG. wrote:U know it happens so fast, by the time you get over the shock and realize what happened hes long gone

Next time think of me and tell him to grab his fucking mum's ass
And then think of, let's say bigray, and kick him in the balls

lol nah
EG.
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadyblogger » Oct 30th, '14, 00:32

Calandre's fucking dirty
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby MistaVijilantee » Oct 30th, '14, 10:30

If I'm walking down the street and we make eye contact for more than 3 seconds - even if we don't know each other - I will 80 percent of the time say some sort of greeting whether that's 'hey' or 'how's it going?' or some other brief passing small talk purely because it makes me feel awkward otherwise.
I don't know if that's just an Australian thing to do but most people I know do it.

Obviously I can't speak from the perspective of a female but put yourselves in some of the dudes shoes who are being attacked for making innocent comments, we are so quick to accuse and abuse people for no particular reason.
However a lot of the stuff they were saying came across as mad sleazy, not just the words but the way they said it and the environment they were in.
YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK

Check out my latest song: https://www.triplejunearthed.com/artist ... vijilantee

Vijilantee on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTN150 ... gEP76MWJZw

Like Vijilantee on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iamjvp
MistaVijilantee
Soldier
Soldier

Postby brady50 » Oct 30th, '14, 11:14

True Wiz wrote:
MistaVijilantee wrote:If I'm walking down the street and we make eye contact for more than 3 seconds - even if we don't know each other - I will 80 percent of the time say some sort of greeting whether that's 'hey' or 'how's it going?' or some other brief passing small talk purely because it makes me feel awkward otherwise.
I don't know if that's just an Australian thing to do but most people I know do it.

Yeah, my Dad always told me to say hello to people when you walk past them. I think it's an Australian thing lol

I normally only do it to middle aged-old people, lol. And I don't do it in situations where I can get stuck in a conversation, like at a bus stop. But if I'm walking past someone in the street, I'll say hey. It's polite, and could make someone who has had a crap day feel a little bit better
brady50
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Guess_Who » Oct 30th, '14, 12:03

True Wiz wrote:
MistaVijilantee wrote:If I'm walking down the street and we make eye contact for more than 3 seconds - even if we don't know each other - I will 80 percent of the time say some sort of greeting whether that's 'hey' or 'how's it going?' or some other brief passing small talk purely because it makes me feel awkward otherwise.

Yeah, my Dad always told me to say hello to people when you walk past them. I think it's an Australian thing lol

hahaha, I must be really rude, would never cross my mind to say something to someone just because there was some eye contact....
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby boonim » Oct 30th, '14, 13:56

Devil'sAdvocate wrote:
Calandre wrote:
Devil'sAdvocate wrote:ass grabbing a female is something i do by the third time i see said female. I'm not joking, its meant to be complimantary, it means i have enough interest in the texture of that ass that i decided to feel it. do you enjoy going to a club and not getting groped or hit on? lol

You are saying you already know this girl.
We are talking about unsolicited attention by random guys.

I did not even read the topic. but i do know some assholes who do that... the best thing you can do is just take in stride and be okay with it, some of them want you to get all mad and react... like i said these guys are assholes.

the problem is, this is something that can't be fixed, too many variables.

Doing nothing "normalizes" the behaviour. Girls in society expect to be harassed and boys expect to do the harassing -- it becomes part of the culture and is no longer a big deal. What is required is some sort of mass movement where a majority of women make an issue of it a majority of the time. And to make it a mass movement, people need to talk about it -- a lot -- highlight the issue, generate awareness, etc.

On an individual level, taking your protest to the extreme (say, calling a policeman) can seriously scare many of these guys and traumatize them into correct behaviour for life!
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Charlotte » Oct 30th, '14, 14:08

Well it's good these kinda videos are circulating around so people see that it happens a lot. A lot of guys think we're exaggerating and say "it doesn't happen THAT much". But it does. So yeah. Maybe they'll realize soon.
Yo soy la princesa, comprende mis white lines.
Charlotte
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby boonim » Oct 30th, '14, 14:22

True Wiz wrote:The woman in this video has a victims mentality. It's obvious she went to places that would attract attention.

I think it's good that it raises awareness of the problem, but this is nothing but propaganda.

So, she was asking for it? What if she was a woman who lived there or had to go to work there?

This woman did it to make a point and it is a point worth making -- this kind of harassment is very wide-spread, but a lot of people (men and women) are in denial and don't think it is that big a deal, or that it is that widespread.

Edit: on second thoughts, I don't know why this woman did it, but it doesn't invalidate the point.
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Debate