The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Video exposes street harassment in New York

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Video exposes street harassment in New York

Postby boonim » Oct 30th, '14, 15:02

True Wiz wrote:
boonim wrote:
True Wiz wrote:The woman in this video has a victims mentality. It's obvious she went to places that would attract attention.

I think it's good that it raises awareness of the problem, but this is nothing but propaganda.

So, she was asking for it? What if she was a woman who lived there or had to go to work there?

I don't think you fully understand what I meant.

She went to what looked like low income areas, where most people don't learn proper etiquette.

I'm all for the protection of women's rights, but I feel that some feminists use it as a way to bully men into a corner.

I understood you perfectly. It's just that you cannot excuse someone's bad behaviour just because they don't know any better. You do that for children, not for adults.

This is a similar argument made in cases of rape -- "Why did you get drunk? Why did you wear the tight dress? Why go to the club in a tight dress and get drunk and talk to a stranger? Didn't you realize there would be men who think it's ok to take advantage?" It is absolutely true that there is a large element of personal responsibility. But just because the woman was irresponsible does not mean it's ok for the men to harass/rape.

It's a societal issue and not "just" a women's issue which affects only women -- it affects men too (but only those who have wives/girlfriends, daughters and mothers and female relatives and friends :) ). I am simply saying that society (men and women) should recognize street harassment as a widespread problem and not treat it as "one of those things boys do because they don't know any better that girls have to put up with".

Anyway, just my two cents...
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby boonim » Oct 30th, '14, 15:23

True Wiz wrote:What? You kind of lost me a little. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way either.

I was saying that this woman was trying to present a biased agenda, and did this by going to areas of New York where she'd be most likely to be harassed.

I wasn't talking about women in general. Just this woman in particular.

Yes, even if the agenda is biased (she may just be doing it to get fame), the point of harrassment being widespread is valid and hopefully educates the public. But I'm afraid people will focus on the messenger more than on the message.
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby boonim » Oct 30th, '14, 15:32

That said, don't know if this has been posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/walking-in-nyc-as-a-man-funny-or-die_n_6072664.html

Men have problems too.
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby boonim » Oct 30th, '14, 15:41

True Wiz wrote:I think that was a joke lol

It may seem like a funny video (they may just be doing it for the clicks), but that doesn't make their point invalid.

:shifty:
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby SajN » Oct 30th, '14, 17:08

Hage wrote:"HARASSMENT"

'Have a nice evening'
'How are you doing this morning'

damn I harass people on a daily basis :*(

Yeah, I hadn't watched the video, and expected some harsh/dirty stuff said against the girl. Just watched it, and it's usually only those things that you said. How is that harassment? lol

Not saying it doesn't occur, I know it does.
! Is He Nuts? No, He's InSajN !
SajN
The Almighty
The Almighty

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 31st, '14, 02:20

smug
Last edited by DetroitSkills on Nov 2nd, '14, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby MistaVijilantee » Oct 31st, '14, 07:18

What's the girl in the videos name, she fine. :wub:
YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK

Check out my latest song: https://www.triplejunearthed.com/artist ... vijilantee

Vijilantee on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTN150 ... gEP76MWJZw

Like Vijilantee on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iamjvp
MistaVijilantee
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 31st, '14, 09:07

MistaVijilantee wrote:What's the girl in the videos name, she fine. :wub:

this 2
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby mdemaz » Oct 31st, '14, 09:15

I think this girl has mental problems or got raped by her dad when she was a kid.

This is just normal street banter for New York. Somewhere else like a small town or whatever, people wouldn't even say anything to her. This is not a serious problem worldwide at all and it's not something that can be changed. It's human nature.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby DƎRDYPK » Oct 31st, '14, 09:17

mdemaz wrote:I think this girl has mental problems or got raped by her dad when she was a kid.

she has that look in her eye that says "I will kill everything & everyone with a dick" 13bh
DƎRDYPK
Stanmilton
Stanmilton

Postby Atone » Oct 31st, '14, 09:41

Lol that video exposed nothing but how stuck up a female is at times, sexual harassment? sure, maybe 3 or 4 instances in that entire video,

but have a nice day, good evening, how are you and hell beautiful? no, not harassment,

if thats harassment than damn, i've done it a billion times, when i go out in public i make it an effort to make people smile, i've walkied up to random girls and usually i say this exact thing

"in case nobody has told you today, i think you are beautiful, and i hope that i make you smile" and then i walk away, i've done it at parks, in stores, hell one day i said it to a cashier at Wal-Mart,

one day there was a girl looking at the weight loss products at wal mart, she was maybe, 17? idk, probably 190 pounds, now, last year, i decided to get myself in shape and bought some weight loss products from wal mart so i decided to0 help her a bit, she was already holding one of the bottles i used, but shye was unsure if she should choose that, or, something else, so i gave her my advice and told her which product helped me lost 30 pounds, i then walked away, but decided to go back up to her, both her mom and dad were standing there and i told her "I just thopught i'd tell you that with or without tghe weight loss you are a very beautiful girl right now and you don't even NEED to lose weight"

holy hell if thats sexual harassment than she sure didn't show any discomfort cuz she hugged me right there, and her dad even thanked me as i walked away, THAT GIRL KNEW HOW TO TAKE A COMPLIMENT, why is it that so many other females take it as a man trying to get in their pants?
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SliK » Oct 31st, '14, 10:18

I don't see this as "men" I see this as "men of colour". You say men harass, I say coloured people harass.

You paint with your brush and I'll paint with mine.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Trimss » Oct 31st, '14, 10:25

Atone wrote:Lol that video exposed nothing but how stuck up a female is at times, sexual harassment? sure, maybe 3 or 4 instances in that entire video,

but have a nice day, good evening, how are you and hell beautiful? no, not harassment,

if thats harassment than damn, i've done it a billion times, when i go out in public i make it an effort to make people smile, i've walkied up to random girls and usually i say this exact thing

"in case nobody has told you today, i think you are beautiful, and i hope that i make you smile" and then i walk away, i've done it at parks, in stores, hell one day i said it to a cashier at Wal-Mart,

one day there was a girl looking at the weight loss products at wal mart, she was maybe, 17? idk, probably 190 pounds, now, last year, i decided to get myself in shape and bought some weight loss products from wal mart so i decided to0 help her a bit, she was already holding one of the bottles i used, but shye was unsure if she should choose that, or, something else, so i gave her my advice and told her which product helped me lost 30 pounds, i then walked away, but decided to go back up to her, both her mom and dad were standing there and i told her "I just thopught i'd tell you that with or without tghe weight loss you are a very beautiful girl right now and you don't even NEED to lose weight"

holy hell if thats sexual harassment than she sure didn't show any discomfort cuz she hugged me right there, and her dad even thanked me as i walked away, THAT GIRL KNEW HOW TO TAKE A COMPLIMENT, why is it that so many other females take it as a man trying to get in their pants?

Cringe
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 31st, '14, 10:26

Atone wrote:Lol that video exposed nothing but how stuck up a female is at times, sexual harassment? sure, maybe 3 or 4 instances in that entire video,

ur fuckin right
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby slims » Oct 31st, '14, 20:19

A lot of those guys were just making kind conversation, not harassing her.
I've never even heard of this street harassment until tumblr.
slim shady, naughty rotten rhymer
- not an original sig but one from a different site I joined before this one.
slims
Renegade
Renegade

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Debate