The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

do u think their should be an age limit to be amish

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

do u think their should be an age limit to be amish

Postby topdawgizalaw » Nov 10th, '05, 23:12

like u have to be at least 14 or so, so that u can experience the life of electricity and know what u would be missing
topdawgizalaw
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Coccoa » Nov 10th, '05, 23:52

What is amish?
Coccoa
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Shadyluva » Nov 11th, '05, 00:46

Em_Young wrote:What is amish?

exactly^^
=]
lifee is GREAT
=]
Shadyluva
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby topdawgizalaw » Nov 11th, '05, 00:48

most amish people live in lancaster, pa and they originate from dutch heritage. they do not believe in the belief of electricity of any kind, electric lights, running water , none of that. they have amish settlements taht people visit to learn about amish culture and also amish are homeschooled, uve never heard about amish ppl b4
topdawgizalaw
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Coccoa » Nov 11th, '05, 12:41

Well i knew that alot of dutch live in Pennsylvania but i could never imagine sumthin like that.
Coccoa
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby yoshi » Nov 11th, '05, 17:37

you mean mormons? :p
Maybe wrote:I'm so awesome, I don't mind looking desperate.

Chet wrote:Fuck House. If I wanted to watch a sarcastic person in the medical field, I would stalk Yoshi :8)
yoshi
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Coccoa » Nov 11th, '05, 17:43

I dunno their name.
Coccoa
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Curious » Nov 13th, '05, 14:10

To Yoshi: Amish and Mormons are not the same, they're two different Christian groups.
Secondly, the Amish have a term called "Rumspringa" which is a period of time lasting from months to years where the Amish adolescents are released from the Church and its rules and live "in the real world" so that they can party, work, and whatever else they want to do before they finally make a conscious decision to become baptized and thus join the religion for good. So the rule you're advertising for already exists. Whether or not it actually is a free choice to join the religion is a different matter, since all ties to their Amish families will be severed if they don't join...
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby SoniK » Jan 4th, '06, 20:08

lol that kinda shit is beyond me...i got love for all people...but seriously!!
SoniK
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby shady_soldierz » Jan 5th, '06, 09:59

wtf does amish mean?
shady_soldierz
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Prodeo » Jan 5th, '06, 18:43

yes there should be an age limit for being amish and actually for joining any sect (don't know the right word, a religious group where they actually 'brainwash' the ppl and shit) cause if you grow up constantly being brainwashed how can you make a real choice about joining or not...

btw not believing in electricity? like wtf: electricity exist you can't not believe in it... stupid ppl imho
Prodeo
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Curious » Jan 6th, '06, 20:22

Sarah wrote:
shady_soldierz wrote:wtf does amish mean?

lol thats what i'm still questioning, even though it was kinda explained, i still have no idea lol

The Amish are a very conservative Christian group; most of them live in the US and Canada (especially Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana).
They try to preserve the European rural culture of the late 17th century and avoid many of the inventions and conveniences of the modern world and they isolate themselves from the general American and Canadian society.

They believe in many of the same things as other Christian groups:
- adult baptism
- the Trinity, the virgin birth, incarnation, sinless life as well as crucifixion, resurrection ascension, and atonement of Jesus Christ.
- life after death with eternal reward in Heaven or punishment in Hell
- The Bible's authors were inspired by God and the Bible is inerrant and to be literally.
- Satan exists as a living entity

The Amish live very differently from modern American people:
- most of them speak a German dialect called Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch), but also learn English at school.
- they wear very specific clothing: Men usually dress in a plain, dark colored suit. Women usually wear a plain colored dress with long sleeves, bonnet and apron. The men also grow beards according to the laws of the Old Testament
- generally the Amish don't allow their members to own cars or other motor vehicles but will ride in cars when needed. They don't use electricity, have radios, TV, computers, have phones in the homes etc.
- they're self-sustaining and don't collect social security, unemployment insurance or welfare etc.
- they generally don't allow themselves to be photographed
- they only allow marriage between members of the Amish group

As I mentioned before, some Amish groups practice a tradition called rumspringa ("running around"). It's a period of time where teens aged 16 and older are released from the strict rules of the sect. They can date, go out with friends, go to parties, drink alcohol, wear whatever clothes they want etc. The idea is to make sure that the young ppl make a conscious decision to become baptised and join the community, which most of them do.
Last edited by Curious on Jan 8th, '06, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby emmkayy41 » Jan 6th, '06, 22:15

how could you have an age limit to be amish...
its a way of life

thats like saying should there be and age requirment on being catholic or jewish
emmkayy41
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Coccoa » Jan 6th, '06, 22:58

Amish are ghettofied people or gathered up at retardation centers?
Coccoa
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Prodeo » Jan 8th, '06, 02:32

emmkayy41 wrote:how could you have an age limit to be amish...
its a way of life

thats like saying should there be and age requirment on being catholic or jewish

being catholic or jewish is slighty more normal then amish...
jews and christians don't isolate themselves from society that's the big difference with all those sects
Prodeo
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Next

Return to Serious Debate