The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Should Gays Be Aloud To Marry?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Postby Curious » Jan 1st, '06, 23:22

ASPIRINE wrote:
Curious wrote:^Yes, a lot of kids grow up without a dad or a mom, either because they died or walked out on them or the parents got divorced. And i do think that it's better for a kid to have two adults in their lives to love and guide them than one, regardless of what sex those adults might have - they get twice the amount of love and support.
Yoshi, you say you don't see any hope for these kids because ppl are intolerant but that's exactly what we need to change, starting with our own attitudes to ppl of different races, sexual orientations etc. The point about changing 2000 years of tradition is that luckily ppl have become smarter during the last 2000 years and have found out that all human beings have equal worth regardless of their sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc. and therefore should have equal rights. Gay ppl are ppl just like everybody else, they're just attracted ppl of their own sex - to me that's no more controversial than me being attracted to specific types of guys (tall, sporty etc. ;) )

Becoming a gay nation doesnt mean u progress, i dont know why u protect them and y u consider it normal. U say its something natural, yet u have no facts to prove it, it can be as natural as a desease, but wat makes u believe its for our own good. Im not saying exterminate them, Im saying that they are just ppl of opinion and Y the hell should they have special laws.

Come on Asp, giving gay ppl the right to marry and adopt doesn't mean that we're about to create a gay nation, that's ridiculous. it simply means that we acknowledge all ppl's basic rights regardless of their sex, colour of skin, sexual orientation etc.
i consider homosexuality "normal" because i tend to judge ppl on their personal qualities and not their skin or sexual orientation - their sexual preferences are their business, as long as they're not doing anything illegal, just as well as my sexual preferences are my business. That ppl are homosexual doesn't make them less worth as human beings.
It is a fact that ppl are not brought up to be homosexuals - if that were the case there would e.g. be a greater percentage of homosexual children raised by homosexual parents than by heterosexuals and there's absolutely no scientific evidence to support this. Homosexuality is not something you choose, many ppl try to fight it because they're ashamed of it and it scares them, it's not something they choose to be because it's cool or to provoke other ppl. In some countries gay ppl risk their lives just by being gay...

Giving gay ppl the right to marry isn't giving them special laws it's exactly the opposite: giving them the same rights as everyone else has. Gay ppl have had the right to marry in my country for years, they haven't turned the rest of society into a gay community yet, and i seriously doubt they plan to do so.
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Curious » Jan 1st, '06, 23:37

ASPIRINE wrote:
Ur telling me im not allowed to consider it "normal" but ur doing the oposite thing in exactly the same thing.

i'm not sure i understand what you mean by that sentence?

Theres no way to prove it to be normal or not, so lets stick to tradition and fuctionality.

It is strycture in society that makes it organised and inspires progress. Not ooutrage of gay beliefes, coz if we let them get married we will not win anything, and it wont make us civilized.

sticking to tradition has never meant progress - if we'd stuck to tradition, we'd still be living in the dark ages.
and as for functionality, tell me what the functionality of marriage is? in modern society marriage has nothing to do with either procreation or financial support of women or the family, it's a symbol of love and commitment, not much else, except that it gives you some practical advantages such as tax benefits. and if marriage is pretty much reduced to a symbol of love and commitment, why shouldn't gay ppl be allowed to prove their love and commitment to each other?
you believe in societal structure, i believe in basic human values as the core to human progress - what we'll win by letting gay ppl marry is to acknowledge basic human rights and increase tolerance, and tolerance makes ppl more civilised - prejudice never has.
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AspirinE » Jan 1st, '06, 23:37

Damn it... ill type u an essay on how homosexuallity is immoral and harmfull to society in near future -_-
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby Curious » Jan 1st, '06, 23:44

ASPIRINE wrote:Damn it... ill type u an essay on how homosexuallity is immoral and harmfull to society in near future -_-

the thing just is that homosexuality isn't immoral and harmful to society ;) that idea is just something certain ppl invented in the past as a tool to control and oppress other ppl
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AspirinE » Jan 1st, '06, 23:58

Curious wrote:
ASPIRINE wrote:Damn it... ill type u an essay on how homosexuallity is immoral and harmfull to society in near future -_-

the thing just is that homosexuality isn't immoral and harmful to society ;) that idea is just something certain ppl invented in the past as a tool to control and oppress other ppl

well there are two sides to the story

why should u be able to disrespect other ppls opinion
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby Curious » Jan 2nd, '06, 00:43

ASPIRINE wrote:
Curious wrote:

well there are two sides to the story

why should u be able to disrespect other ppls opinion

i'm debating, not disrespecting other ppls opinion, and if that's the feeling you get i'm sorry that wasn't my intention. Debating is all about arguing you case and that's what i'm trying to do - i thoroughly disagree with you on this subject, so i do try to select my arguments carefully but may not always succeed.
we've grown up in very different societies and environments which will necessarily have had an impact on our attitudes towards societal and human values - i've grown up in a very liberal country with a high level of social conscience which was the first country in the world to legalise gay marriage in 1989, so i've got hands on experience with the influence gay marriage has on society and there hasn't been a gay revolution in Denmark, so i really think your worries in that area are unfounded. generally i just really wish that ppl would try to look past other ppls sexual orientation and view them as human beings instead, we all have the same basic wants and needs.
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AspirinE » Jan 2nd, '06, 00:55

well i grew up in a fag free country , and we have the most gorgeous women on the planet. The fact that guys pay atention to women more, actually drives them to be more competitive and evolutionised(socially) there are two sides to the story. U have negleted all the sideeffects and moral issues against fags.

The colledge i studdy in has loads of fags that go to art class.

Now how on earth can a fag be more creative just coz hes a fag, its just not right. The way i percieve it is they crave for attention and want to find a way to stand out.

Now i have no problem with them doing watever in their privacy. but wen they use their sexuality as show off i have a problem. Thats mainly the reason i would never support their marrige.
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby Curious » Jan 2nd, '06, 01:13

ASPIRINE wrote:well i grew up in a fag free country , and we have the most gorgeous women on the planet. The fact that guys pay atention to women more, actually drives them to be more competitive and evolutionised(socially) there are two sides to the story. U have negleted all the sideeffects and moral issues against fags.

The colledge i studdy in has loads of fags that go to art class.

Now how on earth can a fag be more creative just coz hes a fag, its just not right. The way i percieve it is they crave for attention and want to find a way to stand out.

Now i have no problem with them doing watever in their privacy. but wen they use their sexuality as show off i have a problem. Thats mainly the reason i would never support their marrige.

i highly doubt that you grew up in a country with no homosexuals, they just couldn't live out their sexuality because of fear of repercussions. whether women in your country are more gorgeous than women anywhere else on the planet depends on taste - if you ask my bf he'd say that the most gorgeous women are in DK, a French guy would probably say that French girls are the hottest. And where's the proof that guys become more evolutionised from paying attention to women? lots of ppl would argue that it's lust for power that drives ppl to become more competitive.
i'm not neglecting any side effects or moral issues, i just don't believe in them, especially not the moral issues - most of the moral arguments are basically based on religious arguments, and i don't believe that moral arguments invented several hundred years ago are necessarily still valid in a developed society.

I don't get why you have a problem with gay ppl taking art classes - if that's the way the want to make a living and they have the talent, why not? That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their sexuality but their personality as a whole. Maybe they take art classes because that's one of the few "businesses" where it's actually ok to be gay.

i agree that some gay ppl try to stand out and show off, but there are plenty of heterosexual ppl who do that as well. Most gay ppl live normal lives in normal jobs and keep their sexual orientation to themselves.
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AspirinE » Jan 2nd, '06, 01:19

I have no problem against ordinarry fags but the ones that do it for public and protest to get married , to hell with them

I wasnt being 100% serious with the woman statement.

But the fag thing. No there arnt any fags protesting to get married, it feels fine.
coz ppl have different standarts.

Wat im really tryna say is that acceptance of homosexuality is not a way to show civilisation.
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby Curious » Jan 2nd, '06, 01:26

ASPIRINE wrote:I have no problem against ordinarry fags but the ones that do it for public and protest to get married , to hell with them

okay, at least we can agree on that one :happy: - nobody should marry just to cause public attention

Wat im really tryna say is that acceptance of homosexuality is not a way to show civilisation.

right, but tolerance and respect for basic human rights are ways of showing civilisation and acceptance of homosexuality is tolerance and respect for basic human rights...
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AspirinE » Jan 2nd, '06, 01:39

well i dont consider homosexuality a human right.

to me its like someone saying, that them being nazi is a human right.
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby stealth » Jan 2nd, '06, 09:57

no
stealth
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Curious » Jan 2nd, '06, 10:22

ASPIRINE wrote:well i dont consider homosexuality a human right.

The UN Declaration of Human Rights states that:

Article 1.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Article 2.
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.(...)

I do consider homosexuality a basic human right, since all ppl are entitled to equal rights without distinction of any kind.

Article 19 of the declaration states that
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
If you look at this article and article 2, to be a Nazi could actually also be considered a basic human right - you're entitled to believe that the white race is superior to other races, just as you reserve the right to believe that homosexuals are inferior to heterosexuals yourself. But there's a difference between the right to hold an opinion and to actively seek to enforce that policy by taking other ppls lives (article 3: everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person). In my country Nazism is not forbidden, they have a radio station - exactly because everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression - however, that freedom is limited by a law against racism stating that you're not allowed to publicly express opinions which are threatening, mocking or degrading other ppl due to their race, skin colour, national or ethnic origin, beliefs or sexual preferences.
Curious
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AspirinE » Jan 2nd, '06, 10:25

Their free, ok , but how come they get an extra option of marriage.

Ur missing the point once againg, im not saying they dont hav the right to live and lets keep them captive, im saying they shouldnt be aloud to married, oz this is the case were tradition is bette.
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby AspirinE » Jan 2nd, '06, 10:39

Curious wrote:
ASPIRINE wrote:well i dont consider homosexuality a human right.

The UN Declaration of Human Rights states that:

Article 1.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Article 2.
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.(...)

I do consider homosexuality a basic human right, since all ppl are entitled to equal rights without distinction of any kind.

Article 19 of the declaration states that
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
If you look at this article and article 2, to be a Nazi could actually also be considered a basic human right - you're entitled to believe that the white race is superior to other races, just as you reserve the right to believe that homosexuals are inferior to heterosexuals yourself. But there's a difference between the right to hold an opinion and to actively seek to enforce that policy by taking other ppls lives (article 3: everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person). In my country Nazism is not forbidden, they have a radio station - exactly because everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression - however, that freedom is limited by a law against racism stating that you're not allowed to publicly express opinions which are threatening, mocking or degrading other ppl due to their race, skin colour, national or ethnic origin, beliefs or sexual preferences.

Ohh and by the way , someone could also use these rules to be necrophiliac
or be watever kind of wierdo.

There is no solid point...
AspirinE
Django
Django

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Debate