The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Watch out for Recovery

All questions and discussions on Eminem to be found here.

Watch out for Recovery

Postby Imawonderwall » Feb 1st, '12, 07:12

In the last year or so Relapse has gained a lot of fans and respect. I think the same can be expected for Recovery, but even more so since Recovery is a better album.

Relapse is aging like wine, but why? Isn't it still the same album that got tons of hate in 09? It's the same album, but its not by the same artist. When Eminem came back everyone was anxious for a return to the golden era of the early 2000's. We wanted the most illest, most drugged up, Detroit made rapper to ever grab a mic, back. Instead, we got tracks with funny voices and BS content that sounded way too much like the horrible moments of Encore we tried so hard to forget. The performances weren't quite legendary, and the interviews were awkward at best. We didn't hate the music, we hated the fact that our rap hero was gone and unable to re create the kind of music we all fell in love with.

Then Em started appearing more confident. A Westwood freestyle and BET cypher generated some positive buzz, and the performances starting getting better. His interviews got more chill, and out of nowhere his feature on Drake's Forever came out. Forever had the best flow, lyrics and attitude we had seen in years. It made you say "damn.." for the first time in years. You heard it at your college parties. You heard it on the radio. Even Lebron was bumping that shit. Eminem had been back, but Em had just returned. That was followed up by two bomb ass verses with lil Wayne and B.O.B then suddenly everyone was hyped again. Not because he dropped three good verses, but because we could see Em was capable of making classic material and being the greatest again.

Then Not Afraid dropped. No accents, real content, sick style and overall great song. Thats when Relapse starting gaining appreciation cause we got the joke. It stopped being looked at like the best he could do, and started being looked at like the lyrical experiment it was.
Recovery has its flaws but it's without a doubt a great album. If you disagree I think you should go back and listen to it again. It's full of classic moments, and intense storytelling of someone going through drug withdraw, and gaining back control of their life. In the end I think its going to be listed as a classic for what it is. A necessary step in his life and rap recovery "no pun intended".

IMO Throw it Up is a joke verse and a metaphor for him "killing" off that style of yelling and bad punch lines no one liked. Fresh buzz off an ill BET cypher and upcoming features with real rappers has me more pumped for new material than ever. We're about to be hit with the best Em since 2003. I honestly believe that. Soon, the "Eminem is done" thoughts will disappear, and the GOAT legacy will continue. Recovery will find its way back into our playlists and the appreciation will start.

With its bad punchlines and all Recovery will stop being looked at as the best Em could do, and start being seen for what it is. The story of an artist recapturing his spot at the top while battling through personal struggles. Struggle doesn't come without some bad, and neither does Recovery, but it also makes one stronger and can lead to greatness. Recovery did and soon everyone's going to agree.
Imawonderwall
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Re: Watch out for Recovery

Postby SlipperyMooseCakes » Feb 1st, '12, 07:28

That's pretty much exactly my opinion on the state of Eminem right now.
And everything's spinning
You're beginin' to think women
are swimming in pink linen again in the sink
Then in a couple of minutes that bottle of Guinness is finished

SlipperyMooseCakes
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Stanforever » Feb 1st, '12, 07:36

Impressive bro.
Welcome
i'd rather be hated for who i am than loved for who i am not-Kurt Cobain
Stanforever
Soldier
Soldier

Postby cheeseburger » Feb 1st, '12, 07:55

Somebody give this guy a beer :b: :worship:
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
Theres no way you can save me
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Trimss » Feb 1st, '12, 08:04

I'm only scared to hear tha Richard/dick collab, after that I'm okay with anything.
Plus he started producing again, so I really wish one of his verses on the SL album is on his own beat, so we can hear what a full produced Eminem song sounds like in 2012.
I think we could get a solo album for christmas.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Feb 1st, '12, 09:41

Daaaaaamn, definitely agree! Welcome to TR. I've said that too. Recovery is great.
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby slimshady18 » Feb 1st, '12, 10:45

I just can't wait for the new album.I think it's going to be really great.and it's going to sell a shitload of albums.because it is EMINEM.lol
great post
slimshady18
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby master360 » Feb 1st, '12, 10:49

:y: :8)
"just let our spirits live on, through our lyrics that you hear in our songs and we can..."
master360
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mathers » Feb 1st, '12, 10:53

:worship: :worship:
Fuck top five, bitch, I'm top four
And that includes Biggie and Pac, whore
And I got an Evil Twin
So who the fuck do you think that third and that fourth spot's for?
Mathers
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Kill You » Feb 1st, '12, 11:49

Good post, I'm still fairly new too so welcome. :y:
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Innovation » Feb 1st, '12, 11:59

The best first post I've seen. Very well thought out and I fully agree, welcome to TR.
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby cityfan31 » Feb 1st, '12, 12:12

Every fan is guilty of assuming the latest material will be the style he adopts for the rest of time. In reality, he changes things very frequently. It's all about context.

Good post!
cityfan31
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SoldierShady » Feb 1st, '12, 12:22

Someone get this man TWO beers :worship:
"So one last time, I'm back, 'fore it fades into black and it's all over, behold the final chapter in the saga, trying to recapture that lightning trapped in a bottle twice, the magic that started it all...tragic portrait of an artist tortured....trapped in his own drawings..." - Bruce.

SoldierShady
Renegade
Renegade

Postby S.T.A.N. » Feb 1st, '12, 13:27

The Dark Knight Rises.
NO.1 Eminem Fan on TR!
S.T.A.N.
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 2PointOBoy » Feb 1st, '12, 13:54

:worship: Great first post. Great post, period :y:

I feel that Recovery actually put Relapse in better light too. When Relapse first came out, I wasn't overly impressed, like most others, but I knew it wasn't a wack album by any stretch of imagination. I too shared the disappointment of it not being on par with the kind of material you would expect from an Eminem album... A lot of the disappointment among critics and the fans, as you said, also was because of the fact that everyone was anticipating the old Em to make a comeback. But looking back now, after being reassured by the music on Recovery and its success, that Em hadn't lost the genius of yesteryear and that he could still make stuff that appealed to the masses and that you could relate to, I now look at Relapse as the sheer brilliant lyrical concept album that it is. The album is indeed aging like wine.

Em managed to merge both being lyrical, having interesting subject matter and enjoyability on the songs on Relapse, which most other artists who are super-lyrical fail to do.

I am so glad he managed to pull off an album like Recovery, although I have to admit I am turned-off by the corny punchlines. But Recovery is an undeniable top-class album at the end of the day.

I honestly hope that Throw It Up verse was the last of whatever you can call it as and pray to God that Em ain't shooting for the obvious on "Richard." With the huge new fanbase created by Recovery, if from now on, Eminem can put out decent verses on those upcoming features & the D12 album, he can create history with his next record.
They say the good die young... Proof, YOU'RE NEVER OVER.

A lot of the links/pics I've posted in the last year or so, if they're dead, there is a probability that I have archived it on Archive.today.

If you need to reach me for any reason, message me on Hip Hop Shelter.
2PointOBoy
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Eminem