The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Bad Guy vs. Stan

All questions and discussions on Eminem to be found here.

Bad Guy v. Stan

Bad Guy
28%
Stan
72%

Total votes : 119

Re: Bad Guy vs. Stan

Postby momentsgolden » Nov 11th, '13, 01:30

No song with

"i reached my full potential, i peaked"

or "i'm talking alot of shit and i am backing it all up"

could ever be better than Stan.

The hook on stan is better. Its more poetic than the hook on Bad Guy.

He wrote a great story. But sometimes there is unnecessary verbiage. "Until i bury you" sounds cool but "drive into the sunset" is an obvious play to either increase the imagery or to rhyme. Either way, it sounds unnecessary.

Stan blurred the lines of what is real or not. Not just in terms of the writing, but the sad and sombre tone of the song adds a social commentary element to the song that is gripping. Tbh, i thought it was a true story for YEARS until i googled it. Its that real.

The rain on Stan's production is so beautiful. So soothing. A great highlight. It comes and goes with context too which is amazing.

Add to that, the visuals for Stan exist, are amazing. He has performed it with Elton John and it gave him legitimacy as a writer and it is obvious which wins. No, Eminembase might be articulate but don't judge the forum as a hoard of sheep without just cause.

Stan ftw
Songs of the year

Tech N9ne- Gods, Ft Krizz Kaliko and Kutt Calhoun.
momentsgolden
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EndoveProduct » Nov 11th, '13, 02:01

4Corners wrote:Stan is a 10/10 classic, timeless track.

Bad Guy is a 9.5 really good track.
EndoveProduct
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Trilla » Nov 11th, '13, 02:11

kpprasa wrote:
Minimii wrote:Stan the whole song is great, bad guy is monotonous as shit and sucks other than the last minute or w/e.
Only "good" thing is that it's surprising but thats only the 1st listen, no reason to listen it 2 times.

No, just no. :shakehead:
There's no way that you can say BG is monotonous and sucks while saying Stan is interesting, varied, and awesome. That's just hypocritical.

"Stan" is interesting because the dialogue keeps you on your toes. The idea of a fan disturbed by fantasies of Eminem as something new, and never really explored in rap before. "Stan" IS awesome.

Sequels are never better than the original, usually because the artist tries to use a new technique for the original. If Eminem kept the same style of dialogue between Matthew and Eminem, and some great voice acting and a different beat were applied, then I truly believe the song could be considered on the same level of "Stan".
mononym wrote:mononym approves Trilla

Tragic portrait of an artist tortured
Trapped in his own drawings

But in my head there’s a voice in the back and it hollas
After the track is demolished
I am your lack of a conscience

I’m your time that’s almost up that you haven’t acknowledged
Grab for some water but I’m that pill that’s too jagged to swallow
Trilla
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby 4Corners » Nov 11th, '13, 02:13

Sequels are never better than the original....true.

But sequels have been done right and a good job has been done on them.

I think Em succeeded with Bad Guy as a Stan sequel, it's a great track and worthy follow up, just not the timeless classic the original was.

I think he did the same with the album, it's a very good album, just not a perfect classic the way MMLP was.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Trilla » Nov 11th, '13, 02:23

4Corners wrote:Sequels are never better than the original....true.

But sequels have been done right and a good job has been done on them.

I think Em succeeded with Bad Guy as a Stan sequel, it's a great track and worthy follow up, just not the timeless classic the original was.

I think he did the same with the album, it's a very good album, just not a perfect classic the way MMLP was.

Off-topic, but, 4Corners, you're one of the best members on this site.

I do also believe BG is a pretty good sequel.
mononym wrote:mononym approves Trilla

Tragic portrait of an artist tortured
Trapped in his own drawings

But in my head there’s a voice in the back and it hollas
After the track is demolished
I am your lack of a conscience

I’m your time that’s almost up that you haven’t acknowledged
Grab for some water but I’m that pill that’s too jagged to swallow
Trilla
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby whore to a chainsaw » Nov 11th, '13, 02:47

EminemBase wrote:"Stan", by far. No question.

Easily a more compelling work of art - in "Bad Guy", Em initially is describing things happening as Matthew as apposed to organic thought setting the scenes as in "Stan" and "Kim"... this is a much more pedestrian style which is what most rappers do...

Because of that, it can never be more amazing than "Stan". "Stan" always feels live, whether you listen to it now or 50 years from now, because it's the thoughts of the characters organically happening in communication and then live action...

It'd almost be like if Em rapped as "Stan" like... "I wrote the letter, in detail, I posted it - you never got back" as apposed to just naturally saying "I wrote you but you still ain't calling?". One is like a detached description, the other is a character communicating...

So it can never 'feel' more alive due to that.

The part where Matthew is yelling at Em and from then on is genius though. And it could have easily rivaled "Stan" if it were all in that kind of live action style.

That style is more compelling because it makes it seem as if the recording is incidental... the characters are just communicating as they would and it feels as if you're listening in on it... which is what makes it feel alive. In comparison, Matthew acknowledging the listener / that this is a song by saying things like 'I sneak vengefully' removes that effect, so now we know the character knows they are a character in a song. As apposed to them just 'living' their thoughts and actions.

I really respect you as a poster.

I've been lurking here since around the time the "I'm having a Relapse" freestyle came out.

I don't agree with you in regards to everything... In fact, considering the amount of very specific things you bring up there are probably 100+ things I disagree with you with... But one fact stands;

You are an amazing poster, critical thinker, eloquent writer and fantastic at expressing what are often abstract thoughts to those that may feel the same way but lack the ability to verbalize specifically what you are getting across in your posts.

I am genuinely looking forward to engaging in friendly debate with you in regards to some things in the future. :y:
whore to a chainsaw
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby The Asshole » Nov 11th, '13, 02:56

Stan is definitely the one I would say is better just because the concept was so original and something you never heard or would expect to hear. But that last verse when the beat switches on bad guy :flutter: one of my favorite verses on the album.
The Asshole
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby mr jones » Nov 11th, '13, 02:59

i think its too early to tell. i listen to bad guy more now but tha'ts prob cause its new
Now that I'm gone, just carry on,
don't mourn,
Rejoice,
Everytime you read the words of my posts.
Just know that,
I'm looking down on you smiling,
And I didn't feel a thing,
So baby don't feel no pain,
Just smile back.
mr jones
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Mr Change » Nov 11th, '13, 02:59

Stan is better obviously but Bad Guy is a great song in it's own right.

I think the last couple of minutes of Bad Guy rivals the heights of Stan.
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

"Soon as I stopped saying I gave a fuck
Haters started to appreciate my art
And it just breaks my heart to look at all the pain I caused
But what am I gonna do when the rage is gone?
And the lights go out in that trailer park?"
Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby whore to a chainsaw » Nov 11th, '13, 03:12

Think about how brilliant a song would have to be to even be stacked up against Stan considering how long Stan has been a monumental milestone in the career of one of the if not THE most important musical artists in your life... the moments in your life corresponding with the music he's created and you've associated with so many emotions and experiences throughout your lives.

Your memories, although unrelated to the subject nature of the songs themselves... are intertwined with the melodies in old songs of your favorite musicians.

Think how big "Stan" was.

Now, consider how big a song must be to even rival that now that you've got a whole time-capsule/era of your life and all of the emotions that come alongside it in your memories attached to the song "Stan."

Now, something is good enough to even be placed in contrast to it.

Really think about that before deciding "Stan" is WAY better.

I think it's really close, although "Stan" DOES win for me. Still, my opinion could be influenced by a LOT more than just the quality of the song itself without me even being consciously aware of it.
whore to a chainsaw
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Minimii » Nov 11th, '13, 20:24

jinofthewind wrote:I've changed my mind. I've found the WOAT poster on any forum. I respect YouTube comments and iTunes reviews more than your crappy opinion.

your loss
Cause you'll never take my pride from me
It'll have to be bribed from me"
- marshall "sellout" mathers
Minimii
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Nov 11th, '13, 20:59

Stan, and it's not even close, shame on some of you...
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby Kill You » Nov 11th, '13, 21:00

Devil'sAdvocate wrote:Stan, and it's not even close, shame on some of you...

Why? Stan doesn't necessarily hit with everyone...I was honestly more taken aback and pleased with Bad Guy on first listen...sorry bro. Stan is a bit overrated imo.
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby LolBurn » Nov 11th, '13, 21:04

the only reason that stan hits harder for some is because of the music video
LolBurn
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby kkaniff » Nov 11th, '13, 21:06

Bad Guy.
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
Stuck out like a sore thumb, so I gave them the finger
There is only one God, the Crippled Godd
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Eminem