The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Debbie "doesn't want anything to get in the way" of reunion

All questions and discussions on Eminem to be found here.

Debbie "doesn't want anything to get in the way" of reunion

Postby Amaranthine » Apr 8th, '14, 04:30

DETROIT, MI -- Eminem’s mother Debbie Mathers would like nothing more than to improve her estranged relationship with her son, a longtime friend and former agent told MLive.com.

And that opportunity could present itself before or after a much-anticipated short film for the rapper’s song “Headlights” is likely released this spring.

“She doesn’t want me to comment to the press,” said Neal Alpert, who contacted Mathers on Monday after MLive’s request to speak with her. “So I have to respect her wishes. She doesn’t want anything to get in the way of a possible reunion with her son.”

Eminem’s video for “Headlights,” a song that addresses his relationship with his mother and appears to make amends, is expected to be directed by Spike Lee.

Lee confirmed on his Twitter page last week that he was in Detroit to work on the short film about Eminem’s past and described it as “historic.”

But it’s unclear if Mathers has had some type of involvement in the creative process for the film or could make a cameo.

Dennis Dennehy, Eminem’s publicist, declined to comment on the matter and referred to the “Headlights,” featured on the rappers’s most recent Marshall Mathers LP 2 album, as his side of the story.

“Eminem has addressed it all in the song,” Dennehy wrote in an e-mail. “We have no further comment.”

Attempts to reach Debbie Mathers, who raised her son primarily in Detroit and Warren, were unsuccessful. Messages left Monday weren't returned.

Eminem mentions in “Headlights” lyrics directed at his mother that “to this day we remain estranged and I hate it though, ‘cause you ain’t even get to witness your grandbabies grow.”

Lyrics in “Headlights” also mention that his mother’s “mental state is deteriorating slow.”

Alpert claims he isn’t sure if Mathers is involved in the “Headlights” short film, but said she seems to be in good health and spirits.

“I don’t know, to be honest with you, because this is all news to me,” Alpert said of the “Headlights” film. “To my knowledge, she is doing OK.”

Alpert added that Mathers has “barely had any interaction” with Eminem, whose real name is Marshall Mathers, since the “Headlights” song was released last fall.
Eminem has addressed it all in the song." - Dennis Dennehy, rapper's publicist, on "Headlights" lyrics and relationship with his mother.

The rapper, better known as Slim Shady, issues an apology to his mother in “Headlights” for harsh and abusive lyrics dating back to 1999 that were used in several songs including “My Name Is” and “My Mom.”

Plans for a “Headlights” short film surfaced over the weekend after the Instagram account for Eminem posted Saturday a photo of him with Lee that mentioned it was taken in Detroit for a “Headlights” shoot.

The message attached to the photo: “Spike came out to The D for the "Headlights ... Coming soon."

Alpert said he wasn’t sure when Debbie Mathers last talked to her son, but insisted that she’s been “very open to a reconciliation” for years.

Debbie Mathers sued her son for defamation in 2001 and wanted $11 million for his portrayal of her in songs, but reportedly settled for $25,000.

She co-wrote a 259-page book called “My Son Marshall, My Son Eminem” that was released in 2007 and co-written by New York journalist Annette Witheridge.

The book, upon its release, was described by the publisher as “the inside truth about Marshall Bruce Mathers III” that attempts to “untangle the outspoken and enigmatic alter egos Eminem and Slim Shady.”

“She’s never not considered him her son,” Alpert said. “As long as this whole thing has played out, she has never stopped loving him. I can tell you that right now.”

Witheridge told MLive she spent more than a year working with Debbie Mathers on the book and agrees with Alpert the matriarch seems eager to repair the relationship.

“Nothing would make Debbie happier than if Eminem were to make amends with her,” Witheridge said. “She has longed to have a proper relationship with him for many, many years.

“I don’t know if she’d like to explain to him what happened when she sued him … but she has never stopped loving him.”

Witheridge believes that Debbie Mathers would rather like a private meeting with her son to “bury the hatchet” instead of some type of role in Eminem’s “Headlights” film.

“I think she would prefer not to be in the spotlight because of his fans,” Witheridge said. “I do know that when he first became famous and was singing about Debbie, that she would get fans throwing chewing gum at her in the shopping mall and it would get stuck in her hair.

“She became the most hated mother in America.”

The fact both sides are at least willing to make an effort toward reconciliation after years of drama appears to show some type of progress.

Source
You should read this.
I break my back to give you my art, you steal my thoughts
It's like driving a spike through my heart

Geno wrote:I don't wanna have a kid with Zabe tbh.
Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: Debbie "doesn't want anything to get in the way" of reun

Postby gutawafang » Apr 8th, '14, 04:36

That was a good read. I thought they reconciled. I mean they can reconcile anytime right? No need for press, no need for any sort of discussion man. What's the point? Just meet each other and say sorry. These celebs make it harder than it looks.
ADD ME ON PS4: gutawafang
Currently playing: Destiny
TR Rap Battle Record: 23-8
gutawafang
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Hopsinshadie » Apr 8th, '14, 13:00

What ever happened to Cleaning Out My Closet? Eminem has changed dog! How come? How come you changed dog? How come, you don't ever spit no more, you've been gone so long, how come how come how come.

Anyone know the song How Come? when Eminem will still a mother fukcing gangster??? FUCK MAN!!!! I want Shady only!!!! None of this pop shit dog!!!! AHHHHHH what a strange world we live in!
Da MEDIA made into me a modern-day Genghis KHAN AT aint NO GAME DOG!
    Try to argue It was just entertainment dawg Entertainment DOG!
ImageImage ImageImage
Hopsinshadie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Raul » Apr 8th, '14, 13:17

:'( good read :'(

#encorefam
Raul
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Mathers » Apr 8th, '14, 13:34

When was the last time he saw her?
Fuck top five, bitch, I'm top four
And that includes Biggie and Pac, whore
And I got an Evil Twin
So who the fuck do you think that third and that fourth spot's for?
Mathers
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Shpongle » Apr 8th, '14, 14:00

Debbie on the Headlights video :worship:
Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RSoares » Apr 8th, '14, 14:33

Nice read. It's weird they barely interacted with each other after 5 months, though.
RSoares
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mathers » Apr 8th, '14, 14:50

“I do know that when he first became famous and was singing about Debbie, that she would get fans throwing chewing gum at her in the shopping mall and it would get stuck in her hair.

That's just not right. :(
Fuck top five, bitch, I'm top four
And that includes Biggie and Pac, whore
And I got an Evil Twin
So who the fuck do you think that third and that fourth spot's for?
Mathers
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby StanBase » Apr 8th, '14, 14:54

Hopsinshadie wrote:What ever happened to Cleaning Out My Closet? Eminem has changed dog! How come? How come you changed dog? How come, you don't ever spit no more, you've been gone so long, how come how come how come.

Anyone know the song How Come? when Eminem will still a mother fukcing gangster??? FUCK MAN!!!! I want Shady only!!!! None of this pop shit dog!!!! AHHHHHH what a strange world we live in!

Raul wrote::'( good read :'(
Rollefsen wrote:this guy is THE Spongebob.

Menzo wrote:one of my lowkey favourite 'newcomers' atm.

cement wrote:youre that real nikka
StanBase
Soldier
Soldier

Postby James Deuce » Apr 8th, '14, 15:15

I would want to reconcile with my son too if he was a multi-millionaire.
James Deuce
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Excita » Apr 8th, '14, 15:17

Hopsinshadie wrote:What ever happened to Cleaning Out My Closet? Eminem has changed dog! How come? How come you changed dog? How come, you don't ever spit no more, you've been gone so long, how come how come how come.

What the fuck happened to you?

Back in the days you even tried to troll, now your posts are full of bullshit.

HOW COME.
Excita
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Raul » Apr 8th, '14, 15:17

James Deuce wrote:I would want to reconcile with my son too if he was a multi-millionaire.

he was already a multi millionaire since 2000-2001, I guess... your point doesn't make sense :sweating:

#encorefam
Raul
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby James Deuce » Apr 8th, '14, 15:46

Raul wrote:
James Deuce wrote:I would want to reconcile with my son too if he was a multi-millionaire.

he was already a multi millionaire since 2000-2001, I guess... your point doesn't make sense :sweating:

He also was very much against talking to her at that time. Now that he is seemingly willing to "forgive" her and perhaps build a somewhat coherent relationship with her, it's in her best interest to oblige him.
James Deuce
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Excita » Apr 8th, '14, 15:48

You think Debbie would get those moneys anyways?

What's the point of your post, man? :D
Excita
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DetroitSkills » Apr 8th, '14, 16:07

Good read
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader