The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Was Stan Premature?

All questions and discussions on Eminem to be found here.

Re: Was Stan Premature?

Postby Amadeo » Aug 14th, '14, 01:57

sbolli1 wrote:Em was confident enough in knowing just how big MMLP was going to be. That's one of the most amazing things about MMLP, how he basically foresaw the popularity and backlash that would eventually come from releasing the album.

This. He wrote the album with a huge audience in mind because he knew the album was going to have a huge audience.

He always kind of exaggerated his level of popularity, even back on songs like My Name Is, which he wrote when he was only popular in the underground. "You know you blew up when the women rush your stands/And try to touch your hands like some screaming Usher fans." You can just tell that when he was writing that song he was thinking, "I got signed by Dre. This song is catchy. I'm brilliant. Yeah, this'll blow up."

If you market yourself as larger than life, people are going to eventually start believing it. And by the time 2001/2002 rolled around, Eminem was no longer exaggerating because he was indeed huge.

bingo bongo wrote:I find myself feeling the same about the whole homophobia thing. I mean, I think his constant jabs at people who got offended for his use of the word faggot should have come after MMLP. It's like he wrote Criminal foreshadowing the reactions of the public to the previous songs in the album

He wasn't really taking jabs at people for his use of the word "faggot" because up until the MMLP era he had barely even used the word. He didn't use it once on SSLP, and he only had one homosexual reference on SSLP. And yet he was still accused of homophobia.

He was only using the word "faggot" all the time because he knew by introducing that word into the mix, the Timothy Whites of the world who called SSLP homophobic would get even angrier.
Last edited by Amadeo on Aug 14th, '14, 02:16, edited 2 times in total.
Amadeo
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Was Stan Premature?

Postby DetroitSkills » Aug 14th, '14, 02:05

em9386 wrote:No but Stan probably came prematurely. OH! :smoking:

:laughing:
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader