The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Give me a reason to like Recovery/MMLP2

All questions and discussions on Eminem to be found here.

Re: Give me a reason to like Recovery/MMLP2

Postby EarlShady » Aug 27th, '14, 09:32

Lowdownandshifty wrote:
kkaniff wrote:
im not going to force
myself to like them and find a reason to because im a fan boy like some people on here.

Or maybe, just maybe, we actually like them?

oh yeah like when The Monster came out and everyone was wtf is this shit after they thought it was going to be some crazy Slim Shady track, and than after a few weeks they all change there mind because its 'grown on them', more like they listened to it enough that they developed some sought of stockholm syndrome. Than you have the bunch who like Stronger than i was.........
I agree with this.

In my opinion MMLP2 is a pretty average album that had a lot of potential. He basically has songs on it that fans of any of his albums could like, especially if you take all the bonus tracks into consideration. The album to me also tried a lot of new and creative things like 'Rhyme Or Reason' and 'So Far'. Overall I think the sequencing of the album and the bonus tracks not being included kills it for me. Songs like 'Groundhog Day' and 'Don't Front' are great and show that Em can still make straight up Hip-Hop tracks. I have a personal custom tracklist of the album modeled more after the original MMLP, and it works a lot better for me even tho I think it only brings the album from being an average 5/10 to a strong 7/10.

Relapse is one of my favorite Eminem albums especially if you really understand the concept behind it. Its really Em's only real concept album and I feel if a song like 'My Darling' was in between 'Dr. West' and '3 AM', the albums concept would have been a lot more clear. Recovery is an album that does not work at all for me, I appreciate its place in the Em's career but overall I think its garbage. If Em wanted to make a pop album, I would have been fine as long as it was good pop. The pop he put out on Recovery is an awkward corny attempt to scream fast punchline rap over mainstream production with mediocre pop features.

I personally even like Encore more than MMLP2, and I can understand some people thinking I'm crazy but I look at it like this. I share Danny Brown's views on it. Its a look at someone in a very dark place struggling with addiction but actually showing what it does to him rather than him reflecting on it. The songs that are bad are so bad that I find them hilarious just for the pure fact that Em gave zero fucks when making them, and the songs that are good are really good especially bonus tracks like 'We As Americans' and 'Love You More'. The album is a really strange but interesting album in my opinion and that's why I even like it more than MMLP2 which just feels like an album that had potential but just ended up being all over the place with no real direction.

I rank his discography like this

1. MMLP (just perfect, a masterpiece)
2. SSLP/EP (I love the EP, reminds me of Earl's first project 'EARL', well the other way around)
3. Relapse/Refill (I use all the Relapse/Refill tracks to make 2 discs of 14 tracks since he never finished it)
4. The Eminem Show (great album just has a lot of filler in my opinion that holds it back)
5. Encore (like I said I find it strange, interesting, and at times so bad its good)
6. MMLP2/Bonus Tracks (pretty good album but failed on its potential)
7. Infinite (just straight classic hip-hop but lacks any real substance or unique direction)
8. Recovery (does not work at all, its a bad attempt at a pop rap album)
EarlShady
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby kkaniff » Aug 27th, '14, 09:51

I appreciate its place in the Em's career but overall I think its garbage.
If Em wanted to make a pop album, I would have been fine as long as it was good pop.
The pop he put out on Recovery
is an awkward corny attempt to scream fast punchline rap over mainstream production with mediocre pop features.

Yup, pretty sure that is all Recovery is.
:coffee:
SSLP was a cringe attempt at shock jock rapping with misogynistic undertones.
Horrible album.
Also, and I've been wanting to say this, once you hit submit, your opinion ceases to be just your opinion, and becomes an invitation for people ti disagree with/discuss it.
With that said, I disagree with it, and I think you're wrong.
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
Stuck out like a sore thumb, so I gave them the finger
There is only one God, the Crippled Godd
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mr Evil » Aug 27th, '14, 12:26

kkaniff wrote:SSLP was a cringe attempt at shock jock rapping with misogynistic undertones.
Horrible album.

I'm sure you're kidding but just to make sure.... You are kidding, right?
S/O to Bizarre for wearing a WonderBra

CanadaPure wrote:Mr Evil and I will have to mud wrestle with Hesky to get him under control
Horse wrote:Evil for 2015 vet
Mr Evil
Soldier
Soldier

Postby kkaniff » Aug 27th, '14, 12:53

I'm sure you're kidding but just to make sure.... You are kidding, right?

Lol, yeah.
Was trying to make a point.
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
Stuck out like a sore thumb, so I gave them the finger
There is only one God, the Crippled Godd
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

Previous

Return to Eminem