The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

"Rihanna saved Eminem from becoming a relic" - NY Times

All questions and discussions on Eminem to be found here.

Re: "Rihanna saved Eminem from becoming a relic" - NY Times

Postby TheBoss123 » Aug 18th, '14, 22:46

Lol holy shit that was terrible. I don't understand how anyone could put their hands to the keyboard and type such blatantly fabricated nonsensical bull shit. Haha the comments on this thread are gold though.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Chalky » Aug 18th, '14, 22:48

The only thing Rihanna has saved was Eminem growing up to be the 40 year old virgin (meaning she fucked him)
Chalky
Soldier
Soldier

Postby kkaniff » Aug 18th, '14, 22:56

I read it, twice.
Nobody cares that it's not an uptight panning, it's still so obviously/evidently untrue that it's hard to believe that there isn't any malicious intent or bias.
What he or she is saying flies in the face of common sense.
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
Stuck out like a sore thumb, so I gave them the finger
There is only one God, the Crippled Godd
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Erowid » Aug 18th, '14, 23:06

kkaniff wrote:I read it, twice.
Nobody cares that it's not an uptight panning, it's still so obviously/evidently untrue that it's hard to believe that there isn't any malicious intent or bias.
What he or she is saying flies in the face of common sense.

Where are the factual inaccuracies though? No really, I'd like to be on the same page here.
Erowid
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby kkaniff » Aug 18th, '14, 23:23

Where are the factual inaccuracies though? No really, I'd like to be on the same page here.

Really?
supplicant in need of a handout. But in 2014, he is merely a galaxy-size cult favorite

Really?
See SWA's post.
far from the center of pop culture, leaning heavily on reputation and largely failing to innovate.

Really?
Recovery is arguably his most successful album and is the second best selling album of this decade, how does that not imply tremendous impact on pop culture?
What has saved him from just being a prodigiously gifted relic is Rihanna.

Really?
And that's just the first 11 or so lines.

Do you really need someone to point it out?
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Trimss » Aug 18th, '14, 23:24

Oh well. I've read many reviews in which people said Em was better than Rihanna and really brought a lot of energy on the stage.

Now of course LTWYL helped a lot, and so did The Monster. And I agree he also needs to innovate a bit more, but they make it seem like hes washed up while hes the best selling rapper of 2013 and MMLP 2 was critically well accepted.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby kkaniff » Aug 18th, '14, 23:33

"Innovate more"?
Not sure what you mean.
Also, spot-on StayWideAwake
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DetroitSkills » Aug 18th, '14, 23:50

lol stopped reading and disregarded thread as soon as i seen "pop" :coffee:
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Erowid » Aug 19th, '14, 00:28

kkaniff wrote:

Really?
supplicant in need of a handout. But in 2014, he is merely a galaxy-size cult favorite

Really?
See SWA's post.

far from the center of pop culture, leaning heavily on reputation and largely failing to innovate.

Really?
Recovery is arguably his most successful album and is the second best selling album of this decade, how does that not imply tremendous impact on pop culture?
What has saved him from just being a prodigiously gifted relic is Rihanna.

Really?
And that's just the first 11 or so lines.

Do you really need someone to point it out?

Ok, where to start. First off, I asked for factual inaccuracies, not impressions/opinions that you disagree with, however preposterous they may seem to you. "Jennifer Lawrence is hideous" is not a factual inaccuracy, ludicrous as it may seem to many/most... it's an opinion. Just like this review.

They didn't CALL him a "supplicant in need of a handout", they said "it's hard to IMAGINE him" as one. Then they go on to explain that Rihanna provides something for Em-- a wider audience. Hey, it's true. Even if he would have sold out without her, he almost certainly sold out harder WITH her (By the way, I don't mean sold out like he's a sellout, I mean like, sell out arenas.) It's just common sense. You combine Em fans with Rihanna fans, you're going to end up with more people than if it was just one or the other.

Ok, so what exactly does Recovery's success prove? Kind of might suggest a cult-like following, perhaps? Loyal, rabid fans? Sure. Does it prove that it was innovative? No, it doesn't. And maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but I'd like to see how you guys would react if I tried to call Taylor Swift's "Red" (which beat Em's "Eminem Show" record) "innovative". And Recovery came out over 4 years ago, so I'm not sure why we're taking it to be representative of this particular stage of his career. Besides, he said he was "one of the most transformative pop stars of the 2000s" (that includes 2010), and "still a multiplatinum star". He's not kissing his ass, but he IS giving at least SOME credit where it's due.

And they DIDN'T SAY he didn't/doesn't sell.

And... are we really arguing that Em is super-duper famous and popular right now? Dude. I'm obviously not saying he's not good, or that people don't know who Eminem IS anymore, or that his name doesn't still carry a lot of weight, but is he part of the central zeitgeist? Sorry, but no, he's objectively not. Please visit the early 2000s, if you need something to compare the current state of affairs to.
Erowid
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Emperor » Aug 19th, '14, 13:32

Mr Goat wrote:The only thing Rihanna has saved was Eminem growing up to be the 40 year old virgin (meaning she fucked him)

But he already made a human with his penis
Emperor
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Josh » Aug 19th, '14, 13:38

the guy who wrote this shit , is a retard
“In six days God created the heavens and the earth. On the seventh day, Stanley Kubrick sent everything back for modifications.”

#TeamPalvin
#ProtectLoseYourself
Arni da Goat

ImageImage

scrapig wrote:im a sick fuck, just ask Josh.
Josh
Soldier
Soldier

Postby electroencephalogram » Aug 19th, '14, 13:41

I don't disagree with the article. The problem is the title. The title doesn't really even fit the article. The article focuses mainly on how they teamed up for business rather than creativity (true imo), and how it's an awaked pairing (also true imo).

The title is priming you guys to interpret the article in a certain way. Forget that, and just read it.
electroencephalogram
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mdemaz » Aug 19th, '14, 13:51

joshimura wrote:the guy who wrote this shit , is a retard

This, Eminem was still relevant even when he was almost dead. Everyone wouldn't stop talking about him.

Fuck outta here.
Last edited by mdemaz on Aug 22nd, '14, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby dshady89 » Aug 19th, '14, 16:01

Eminem has sold triple the amount of Albums Rihanna has, comparing their last three albums tho. And he already went to the Billboard No. 1 before any song with Rihanna came out, with Not Afraid.

Rihanna should save herself.
dshady89
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby csw621 » Aug 19th, '14, 16:13

didn't read thread poverty article
#teamitaliansausage #Encorefam
Never hit someone unless you got a reason. If there ain't a reason, make one up and start swinging.
csw621
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Eminem