The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Shady XV General Discussion

All questions and discussions on Eminem to be found here.

Re: Shady XV General Discussion

Postby bcooper21 » Nov 29th, '14, 17:44

So i guess there going with this since iggy thing is done.

Randomly over 20 some articles went up about this lol
http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/11/28/eminem-rihanna-hooking-up-shady-xv-song-album-relationship/
bcooper21
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby csw621 » Nov 29th, '14, 18:18

Iggy is done
#teamitaliansausage #Encorefam
Never hit someone unless you got a reason. If there ain't a reason, make one up and start swinging.
csw621
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Marshall Rin » Nov 29th, '14, 18:55

please anyone noticed Marshall's flow in Fine Line is like which song?? i couldnt put my finger on.
Shady Maniac
Marshall Rin
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Crazee » Nov 29th, '14, 18:56

These people really don't understand that a joke lyric in a random non-serious song is not meant to be taken literally. I mean, rappers talk about celebrity girls they're sexing all the time. Nobody ever says this shit about other rappers, do they?

I'd understand if he made a song about Rhianna like Kanye did about KimK.....

Anyways, still loving this album. The whole on or off beat thing is overblown. Being able to ride a beat is a skill, and it makes albums great to listen to and bump in your car. That said, someone can ride a beat without spitting the same way everyone else. Like with Detroit VS Everybody...just because Royce and Big Sean ride the beat a particular way, it doesn't meant that's the only way to do it. That's what makes posse songs interesting. Everyone spits different.

There are certain beats you can't rap a certain way on...I doubt anyone would do a Snoop Dogg slow flow on "Nigga What, Nigga Who" for instance.

People like what they like, though. No reason for people to get bashed for not digging this flow, as long as they don't bash people who like it as blind stans who worship everything Em puts out.
Crazee
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Shady-Yo » Nov 29th, '14, 19:18

Shady-Yo
Renegade
Renegade

Postby 4Corners » Nov 29th, '14, 19:24

Right For Me 2nd and 3rd verses dont really bug me. The fast word cramming there sounds ight. The first verse is still meh though to me.

I like the flow on Shady XV though the last 30 sec before the acapella is meh. Fine Line i love the beat and hook. Verses have some good moments but its still kinda iffy on the flow. The constant raising and lowering of the voice, the random instant pauses between words and shit. Still a decent song though.

Just dont feel this was near as good as Relapse stuff or Recovery, let alone HTS or MMLP2. Just my two cents.

I hope his next work is more like Bad Guy, Groundhog Day, Baby, Brainless, Evil Twin, etc.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazee » Nov 29th, '14, 19:36

SWA dropping knowledge, respect.

I remember when I started rapping in my teenage years. One thing I was told to stay away from is to always flow in exact rhythm to the beat. You want to be in sync with it obviously but I was told it was boring and it limited you to have to rap a certain way. Instead of conforming your flow to the beat and blending in, you want to stand out. That's why I found myself listening to artists that kept their flow unique and switched their style up. There's nothing wrong with rappers that keep a consistent flow on every beat(like Jadakiss), though you can argue they have to limit their production choices to mesh with their sound. Anyways...

I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea but check this Three Six Mafia song featuring Twista...

http://youtu.be/ZTTJzEhN4H0 (Twista's verse starts at around 2:59)

You have Three Six rapping the way they do hitting every snare...and it sounds fine if you dig their sound. Then Twista comes in and takes the same beat that 3-6 are rapping on with a deliberate slow flow and goes double time with some nice verbal gymnastics. The flows are completely different but they're both on rhythm with the beat. I'll always prefer the Twista style, but I'm from Chicago so that's expected...

Admittedly, much of this is not based on anything objective. People like what sounds good to their ears. Obviously, some flows are objectively bad. Almost everything else is a matter of opinion. It's just like production. People have trouble differentiating what is obviously bad and what just doesn't sync up with their musical palette. I think I'm in danger of sounding pretentious now, though.
Crazee
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Crazee » Nov 29th, '14, 19:40

StayWideAwake wrote:Guts Over Fear may have come out before Vegas...but we shouldn't let meaningless things like chronology get in the way of the truthfulness of this article.

We're supposed to take these writers serious like they're experts at everything when they can't even do a freaking google search. Fucking Wikipedia, how does it work?

Edit: Didn't mean to double post, I thought someone posted after me. Sorry.
Crazee
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby kkaniff » Nov 29th, '14, 19:45

@SWA and @Crazee
:worship: :worship:
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
Stuck out like a sore thumb, so I gave them the finger
There is only one God, the Crippled Godd
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TheBoss123 » Nov 29th, '14, 19:54

I can see why people would find some of the flows off-putting, for me, it was because of some of the flows that the musicality of the song was lost on me at points. Songs like Right For Me and Fine Line in particular had me impressed but not in a way that made me feel happy to be listening or hype as fuck about a new Eminem song. They arent choppy or off-beat, people should probably articulate what they mean better otherwise we're going to keep getting at each other. We've also entirely sucked the meaning out of the word "choppy" just like we did to "cringeworthy."

This album was lyrically amazing, I was blown away by that aspect, and Em was also funny as fuck on large portions of the album. Vegas had me grinning the entire time and the Fack line on shady xv had me dead as fuck.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby infinite2hts » Nov 29th, '14, 20:15

Songs on side projects should not be taken as an absolute indication of future sound of Eminem (however they do give a loose indication of his next direction).
i feel Eminem deliberately does more experimentations with flows and delivery on side projects, collabs or other non album songs. Look at - HTS, Our House, the new busta collab, shady xv, Richard, etc. In all these em was pretty much trying out new flows. By doing this he can see how fans are reacting. And if the reception is bad than at least he did not fuck up a solo album, in which case a bad reception of the delivery can be far more damaging (see how people reacted to accents on relapse).
And notice how his raps on side projects and collabs have redundant subject matter. In this way he surprises people when he releases his solo album. (i remember when i was lurking this forum 2 years back, people were afraid that his new album will have songs only about fast foods, kmart, over yelling delivery)
infinite2hts
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby csw621 » Nov 29th, '14, 20:43

#TeamSWA
#teamitaliansausage #Encorefam
Never hit someone unless you got a reason. If there ain't a reason, make one up and start swinging.
csw621
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 29th, '14, 20:43

The last 2 pages have contained nothing but ether tbfh
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby College Dropout » Nov 29th, '14, 21:17

Relevancy wrote:Oh shit I had totally forgotten about this album, I listened to it when it first leaked and it got pretty boring so I lost all interest. Only songs that are good are Fine Line and Psychopath Killer>>>>

Maybe after a second listen it will gain my attention, sorry but I don't like to hear Em rap fast, say like 1,000 in a brief stanza, and have bad ears for beats. Em lost soul on his music, he now just raps for the sake of it, Idc if this wasn't an album, but he could have put more songs that could be called that, songs..

I have to agree on this one. For example, Vegas sounds more like a freestyle than a song.
"The plan was to drink until the pain over, but what's worse, the pain or the hangover?"
College Dropout
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby TheBoss123 » Nov 29th, '14, 21:27

Can we stop fighting for like 5 seconds and appreciate how funny Eminem was on this project, there were parts of the title track that had me laughing out loud, same with Vegas.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Eminem