The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

New Stat Quo Interview

Check here to read and discuss latest news and media from the Shady / Aftermath family.

New Stat Quo Interview

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Apr 11th, '08, 16:46

At the height of the Shady/Aftermath takeover of the rap industry, no one signed to the label could do wrong. D12, Lloyd Banks, 50 Cent, Young Buck and Obie Trice all collected platinum plaques, some more than one, while the rest of the industry tried their hardest to keep up.

In 2003, a young rapper from Atlanta by the name of Stat Quo was brought into the fold and was said to be the second coming of Southern hip-hop. His lyrical abilities and wide range of subject matter was highly praised and it seemed as if Stat Quo was the next in line to take the reigns as Shady royalty.

With appearances on other artists’ records as well as video games his buzz only grew. He was also a large part of the success of Eminem’s triple platinum The Re-Up, a compilation album that showcased the Shady roster.

Now, it is 2008, and the highly anticipated debut album, Statlanta is still nowhere in sight. There are no release dates set and it remains to be seen if it will come out at all.

Sixshot.com caught up with Stat Quo to discuss Eminem and Dr. Dre, the hold up on his album, and if he thinks he’ll be a part of the Shady team for much longer.

The first question I wanna ask you and I know you must get this every five minutes but when can we expect the album?

Hey man, I don’t even wanna say no more. I don’t even know, you know what I mean? (Laughs) I’m just doing my thing over here man, just making music and to be honest with you, I really don’t know. That’s out of my control and I don’t make that decision.

The thing that has me curious is when people in the Shady/Aftermath fold don’t release an album they usually seem to get dropped pretty quick.

That’s what I thought too. That’s what I thought. I mean, a lot of people think getting dropped is a bad thing but sometimes if an artist gets dropped it could be like a relief for them. Some people they let go but some people they hold captive.

At this point, do you feel like you’re being held captive?

I’m not saying I feel like that, I’m just stating the facts, you know.

You’re definitely not a typical “Down South” rapper, how is it that you manage to keep your sound so diverse?

I just do my thing man. I don’t wanna be categorized and put into a box. I’ll put out a record like “We Get Higher” and all the underground heads and them will love it then I’ll turn around and do a “My Ride” which is some straight A-Town type shit. Then I’ll hop on a Dre beat and do my thing. I just don’t wanna be boxed in so I do what I’m feeling; it’s all based on my personality.

What’s it like for you working with Dre and Eminem?

It’s definitely a good look man. I learned a lot from those guys as far as how to conduct myself as an artist, as a man, and as a parent. They’re both great dudes. I take a lot of their knowledge and apply it to my life and myself. It’s really a good look. You’re working with the best.

Do you have a personal relationship with Dre and Em too or is it strictly business?

Yeah, you know, it’s a family atmosphere. If I need advice on certain issues I can go them. At the same time, its business too so the relationship is back and forth.

What’s the general feeling about your album in the building, not only from you but also from others? Do they want it to come out?

Yeah, everybody wants it to come out but the people that want it to come out aren’t in the position to make those decisions. The company has priorities and those priorities have to be met. Until my situation is a priority I guess it’s whatever. If I made the decision about when an album comes out the public would have been had an album from me. I’ll tell you this, I got all the records and if it keeps up like this I’m just gonna let the people hear it, I’ll put it out myself. I want people to hear this album and if the situation doesn’t come up then, let’s just put it this way, the people are going to hear it regardless.

At the end of the day, in your heart and in your mind, do you feel like it’s gonna come out on Shady?

I don’t know man. Who knows? At this point my patience is definitely wearing thin. It’s Shady and Aftermath, it’s both. I guess certain people don’t want it to come out. Sometimes it’s a bad thing when there’s too many cooks in the kitchen. It happens.

It’s strange because everything you drop gets an excellent response. Why do you feel the fans are riding with you so hard?

I think I try and I think a lot of other artists don’t. They don’t care what they put out. They’re doing it just to do it. They don’t put any heart into it. As human being we have natural instincts so the fans can tell if a dude is really trying. If he is trying, obviously they’re gonna feel that and they’re gonna appreciate that. I think when people hear my music they can tell that I really care and it’s not just about a dollar for me and how much money I’m gonna make on it.

Aight, let’s be honest, Statlanta is done, is it a classic?

Ah man, that’s like when people say are you the greatest rapper? Of course I wanna say that about myself but I like when the people deem something to be a classic. Biggie didn’t deem his albums to be classics. When Scarface was putting The Diary out or The Fix he wasn’t thinking himself that it was a classic. It was the people that called it classic. Reasonable Doubt was classic. Illmatic was classic. Blueprint was a classic. The reason why these albums were classics was because the people said they were. That’s how I’m gonna let my stuff be judged.

The Re-Up did real well and you were featured on that a lot. Did that help widen your audience?

It was dope. A lot of that material was for a mixtape we were doing. There was a lot of material for that in there. Em and Paul just figured we should make it an album. It was a good platform for the artists to showcase our skills and shine. Anytime you sell three million records worldwide you’re audience is gonna get bigger.

Your flow and subject matter are real different. Who are some people that influenced you musically?

Scarface, Bun B, Pimp C, 8 Ball & MJG, Biggie, Pac, Jay-Z, Outkast, N.W.A, and Eminem. They all had a great deal to do with how I’m doing my thing.

Coming from the South, were the East Coast artists big down there?

Yeah, I mean we got to hear all the different music that came in from Cali, New York, and Miami. If you lived in New York you probably didn’t get to hear what we were doing in the South because you had your own movement but in the South we got to hear everything.

Besides the album, what are you working on that we can look out for?

To be real with you, I’m working on another album. Statlanta is done so I’m working on my second album to come out after that. I don’t have a title yet; I’m still trying to figure it out. With Statlanta, it just kinda came along as I was making music and this one is the same way. I’m tryna do it like Prince where he recorded albums back to back to back and he just chilled and he didn’t really have to do anything. He made timeless music so it doesn’t matter when you put it out, it’s gonna be great regardless. All I do is record; I got a studio in my basement. I write for other artists too, that’s how I keep the lights on.

You write for other artists a lot?

Yeah, I write for some of ya'll favorite MC’s and R&B singers. I would never say names; they probably don’t want that to be known.

You said your patience is wearing thin as far as the album coming out. Are there ever any tense moments between you, Em, and Dre about the release?

Nah, we don’t get down like that. We don’t have no tense moments because that’s not the nature of the relationship.

So they just tell you to be patient?

Some things are just out of the control of what they got goin’ on. You see what’s going on with rap man. Flo-Rida had one of the biggest records ever and he came out and did what? Rap sales are different. Kanye West would have sold ten million copies. If that same album would have come out in like 1998 with the same momentum, Kanye would have sold ten million records. Everybody is just trying to figure out what’s going on and regroup and I happen to be caught right in the middle of that.

I promise you this and I promise all my fans that have supported me that you will hear Statlanta; it’s coming and let’s say the curtain will unveil itself soon. And the performance will be something you wanna see. The truth will be brought to the light so everybody can see what the fuck is going on.

,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Re: New Stat Quo Interview

Postby RapName » Apr 11th, '08, 17:43

Man, i really don't see the issue. The album is done. Slim and Dre obviously have no problem with Stat, so what is the fucking problem?
Anyway, I hope to see it in stores some time soon. Maybe even this year. It's gonne be dope, no doubt.
strikeboy wrote:Hey Alaine. I like young girls obviously and I don't get the oppurtunity to talk to them at all in fact. Well, I don't care really what you're like on the inside and I just really want you to come to bed with me. Would you do that if you could? Even if you were just average on the outside (but not fat) I could like you if you sounded smart.

:laughing:
GoodGirlsGetGutted wrote:Em is average at best without The Eminem Show.
RapName
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SajN » Apr 11th, '08, 17:44

RapName wrote:Man, i really don't see the issue. The album is done. Slim and Dre obviously have no problem with Stat, so what is the fucking problem?
Anyway, I hope to see it in stores some time soon. Maybe even this year. It's gonne be dope, no doubt.

Same question with rest of the Shady/Aftermath albums... so it's not a surprise it ain't out yet.....

Thanks for news....
! Is He Nuts? No, He's InSajN !
SajN
The Almighty
The Almighty

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Apr 11th, '08, 18:30

like ive sayed in thos forum 10000 times, dre and eminem dont have a say in when the album is released, the record label do, interscope obviously dont see stat quo as a big enough profit for him to release anything right now, he doesnt have a big buzz and i hardly see him spoken about anywere, most likely once dre and eminem become more active they'll do alot of public apearences and interviews with stat quo and once that happens theyll release the album to ride on the hype sarounding dre and em
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby SajN » Apr 11th, '08, 18:45

,-,'-{Bar}-',-, wrote:like ive sayed in thos forum 10000 times, dre and eminem dont have a say in when the album is released, the record label do, interscope obviously dont see stat quo as a big enough profit for him to release anything right now, he doesnt have a big buzz and i hardly see him spoken about anywere, most likely once dre and eminem become more active they'll do alot of public apearences and interviews with stat quo and once that happens theyll release the album to ride on the hype sarounding dre and em

Yeah I know that.
I just said that it wasn't a surprise that the album from the label is released... :sweating:
! Is He Nuts? No, He's InSajN !
SajN
The Almighty
The Almighty

Postby blitches » Apr 11th, '08, 20:52

he can at least put out more mixtapes to grow a buzz...................... (coughs) like cashis (coughs). :whistle:
blitches
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Epidemik » Apr 11th, '08, 21:19

damn jimmy iovine...someone needs to shoot him
Epidemik
Omnipotent
Omnipotent

Postby Pistolpoppin » Apr 12th, '08, 00:18

Album sales are gettin worse and worse everyday, so by delaying the realease further it is going to most likely result in lower sales. If he dropped in 2004 he would have had much higher album sales than lets say if he dropped 2moro.
Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit
Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish
But I'm debated disputed hated and viewed in America
as a motherfuckin drug addict - like you didn't experiment?
Pistolpoppin
Soldier
Soldier

Postby jigglinj » Apr 12th, '08, 02:54

stat needs to put out his album out and stop being a pussy :p
jigglinj
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Tornado » Apr 12th, '08, 03:37

only surprise is that stat is stll around..id be pretty pissed if i was him. sine 03, everyone except bobby creek has had a album or ep b4 him..and all he gets is a feat on encore and a few tracks on the re-up :shakehead:
3K & Out
Tornado
Role Model
Role Model

Postby ZaBaX55X » Apr 12th, '08, 15:37

man i feel like statlanta needs to drop on Shady/Aftermath not no where elese he needs to do it like fif and say FUCK INTERSCOPE :tounge2: stat would'ove been the Dopest southern artist ever no dout :) but the way its going i dont know anymore
REST IN PEACE PROOF
ZaBaX55X
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Return to Shady / Aftermath News