The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

50 Cent Defends Gangsta Rap, Speaks On Alicia Keys Interview

Check here to read and discuss latest news and media from the Shady / Aftermath family.

50 Cent Defends Gangsta Rap, Speaks On Alicia Keys Interview

Postby IceAxe » Apr 21st, '08, 00:20

When it comes to "Gangsta rap" 50 Cent doesn't play around.

He's not happy about comments Alicia Keys was quoted as making in a recent interview with Blender, even though the R&B songstress later said the quotes were "misrepresented" by the magazine.

"'Gangsta rap' was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other," Keys was quoted as saying. "'Gangsta rap' didn't exist."

According to the Associated Press, Keys issued a statement later saying that her comments were "misrepresented" and that she isn't a "conspiracy theorist" or "a racist."

"We stand by our story," Blender spokeswoman Kate Cafaro told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Regardless of Keys' explanation, 50 Cent wasn't too thrilled with the comment.

"I don't like Alicia Keys no more though … the same reason why I said that I don't like Oprah Winfrey," 50 Cent toldThe Showbuzz. "I'm prejudice(d). I don't like people who don't like me. If you don't like the content that I write because of my experiences; I am being who I am when I am writing it. I fall into that 'label' as far as you considering artists creating 'Gangsta music,' we fall into that.

"If she don't like that, (then) I don't like that classical music s--- she be doing. At some point she's playing some s--- that don't relate to me. … We listen to it and try to figure out why people actually enjoy it. I am trying to enjoy it. That statement changes my perception of Alicia Keys totally. But the magazine is standing behind it, which means they probably have a tape of her in conversation saying it. It's just not really a bright comment anyway."

A multiplatinum artist ("Get Rich or Die Tryin" and "The Massacre") and business mogul, 50 Cent made a fortune from using rap to share his story of growing up hustling in the streets since the age of twelve.

He believes that hip-hop as an art form is often misjudged.

"I think hip-hop is so competitive, that the competitive nature, the art form makes it a competition," 50 Cent said. "I don't think that a lot of people who judge hip-hop actually enjoy it as an art form. They aren't into it enough to understand what they are listening to and they just hear disrespectful lyrics going back and forth and just say 'oh they're fighting' … so it's got to be negative if it's fighting. To just make reference to what hip-hop was from the very beginning was just two artists battling. Battling turned into beefing after Biggie and Tupac passed because unfortunately that turned into real incidents in the street."

50 Cent, who knows this way of life firsthand, said his mother (who was a cocaine dealer) was killed when he was 8 years old.

"Those things happen in that kind of lifestyle," he said.

50 Cent said that his "reference of nice things died with her." His grandparents, who took him in, had nine children, which meant finances were strained and times were tough.

Although 50 Cent was successful, Columbia Records let him go after he was shot 9 times on May 24, 2000. The rapper was in his car outside of his grandmother's house in South Jamaica, Queens when a gunman pulled up and shot him at close range while he was sitting in the car. He was shot in the hands, legs, chest, hip and left cheek.

He managed to redeem himself in the music biz once he healed and stopped hustling. He may be scarred, but he seems unscathed by the incident today.

"When you get shot, you just get up and go back to doing what you were doing and music was what I was doing," 50 Cent said.

Source

props to the ever watchful unscarred :y:
IceAxe
Soldier
Soldier

Re: 50 Cent Defends Gangsta Rap, Speaks On Alicia Keys Interview

Postby Robbie G » Apr 21st, '08, 00:45

Pretty good interview. :y:
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Emadyville » Apr 21st, '08, 01:11

Interesting
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby studberry 69 » Apr 21st, '08, 18:35

Man i'm tired of people hating what they don't understand. Gangsta rap is something that oprah or alicia can't understand so they need to both go back to their bullshit sheltered lifes.
studberry 69
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby squaneminem » Apr 22nd, '08, 17:40

What A. Keys did was just to open up another discussion about 50's past....with a good insight about his past. I didn't even know his mum was a drug dealer. People use music for different things, and if Rap-Artists are using it as a means to talk about their dreadful past & life-experiences, then they are not different from other musicians. This is just another promotion of gangster music....
square dance with me
squaneminem
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby DOPE » Apr 27th, '08, 15:48

If you don't like the content that I write because of my experiences; I am being who I am when I am writing it. I fall into that 'label' as far as you considering artists creating 'Gangsta music,' we fall into that.
"It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper."

My basic disk will make you take a razor to your wrist
Make you satanistic
Make you take the pistol to your face
N place the clip N cock it back
N let it go until your brains are rippin out your skull so bad
To sew you back would be a waste of stitches

hybridpurity.webs.com
DOPE
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Shady / Aftermath News