The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

D12 Speak On Mixtape, Eminem Will Not Feature

Check here to read and discuss latest news and media from the Shady / Aftermath family.

D12 Speak On Mixtape, Eminem Will Not Feature

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » May 13th, '08, 12:45

The return of D12
The Dirty Dozen's Kuniva talks mix tape(s) and more
By B.J. Hammerstein
Metromix
May 12, 2008

Email Print View Share Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Furl Google Reddit Spurl Yahoo Add To Favorites Add to playlist
Photos:
It’s been four years since the hard-hitting Detroit rap group D12 a.k.a. the Dirty Dozen was sitting atop the Billboard charts with its second major studio album, “D12 World.”

Marshall Mathers a.k.a. Eminem was arguably the largest pop star on the planet at the time. The unofficial D12 leader Proof was the reigning hip-hop mayor of Detroit. And pop fans around the world couldn’t get enough of the grim lyrics and grimy production style the group was known for.

A lot has changed since 2004. The April 11, 2006 death of Deshaun Holton (Proof) still sends shivers throughout the rap community in Detroit. Eminem, who toured with D12 in 2004 while finishing up his last studio album “Encore,” has had numerous rumors swirling about, but has kept an almost total lock-down low profile.

Denaun Porter a.k.a. Kon Artis has kept busy with acclaimed production work for acts like Guilty Simpson and Little Brother among many others while Rufus Johnson a.k.a. Bizarre has had media attention from his stint with VH1’s “Celebrity Fit Club” and dropping two solo albums, the most recent being 2007’s Koch Records’ “Blue Cheese and Coney Island.”

As the summer of 2008 heats up, D12 is set to make a big splash. Wednesday, May 21 they hit the Magic Stick for a release party for their new mix-tape “Return of the Dozen” and then they take off on a tour to support.

“It’s mostly original songs,” says Von Carlisle a.k.a. Kuniva while playing a couple of tracks during an interview conducted inside the Detroit Free Press office. “We all got together; Bizarre flew in from Atlanta and we just holed up in the studio and did it. (We’re) letting people know that we’re back and ready to work. We’re ready to go to out there and show people who we are. We’re not dead.”

Over the phone, Bizarre chimed in from Atlanta and answered the big question: Is Eminem on the record?

“Naw, he’s not on the mix tape,” Biz says. “We just kind of wanted to let the world see us without Marshall. He’s doing his own thing. He’s got his own album to worry about, to put out. We just wanted to just do it with the four fellas.”

So now Kuniva, Bizarre, Kon Artis and Ondre Moore a.k.a. Swift are entering a familiar world at an unfamiliar time. Kuniva, who was mostly known as the “quiet henchman” in the back of group, is opening up about life, music and the “Return of the Dozen.”

It’s been four years and a couple serious changes -- the death of Proof, and Eminem not being involved in the mix tape recording – since “D12 World.” What was the recording process like, you guys getting back together?
We never lost a step. It just comes back automatically. No matter what. No matter how far the distance. When we see each other and come back to work, it’s like we just left off from the last album. It’s comes second nature to us.

We just went in and we didn’t have a set marker of what we were trying to hit. We just went in and did the music how we felt at the time. I think for us, it’s a big step for people to look at us in a different light.

The tracks that you’ve played, on first listen they sound a lot different than “Purple Pills” and the older stuff. How has the music changed?
They’re used to seeing us doing this one-formula type of music. They’re not used to seeing the more serious side of D12.

Our fans will hear a more ferocious side – [but] a realistic ferocious, not a humorous ferocious…There’re a lot of more serious songs, but at the same time we’re having a lot of fun. We wanted to let people know where we really come from: The true origin of D12 is to be dirty, to be grimy. We were raised in the battle-type world as far as battling emcees. We’re just getting back to our roots.

So, you’re kind of moving into the role that Proof kind of had – the spokesperson of the group?
With everything that I do, I’ve always enjoyed playing the back and letting everybody else handle things. I’m usually the laid-back reserved one of the group. I don’t cause any ruckus. I usually don’t cause any bullshit or any kind of mess. I barely go out to clubs or anything like that. I’m always to myself. I’ve always been kind of isolated. I never really fought for the camera time.

It’s changed a lot because now everyone has to hold there own weight in this group. And I’ve learned that in this business, you have to step up, and be more aggressive -- more noticed, more seen. And Proof carried all that weight with everything, and nobody can do what he did. So what we’re doing now, everybody’s holding up their end -- and we’re all holding that shit up, holding it above our heads.

Proof really understood the rap game. What are some of the things he instilled to you, that you’re carrying on?
With the rap, he gave you a certain drive and a certain focus. And that focus was he taught you how to rhyme. He taught you how to make complete songs. I didn’t know how to really do it. He really sat me down and told me to write this amount of bars, and here’s the hook. You can’t just rap on and rap on. After a while someone’s going to start snoring.

You have to have a concept. You have to have some kind of a hook. You have to have a bridge. You can’t just write about the same thing on every single song. You can’t kill a person in each and every song. He taught us how to be versatile, but at the same time, be realistic. Then, sometimes, be unrealistic.

You always want to leave some kind of mark on someone’s brain every time they come across you -- and anyone who met Proof, he left an impression good or bad.

You have a solo project, too, that you are trying to finish up and release at the end of the summer. After fours years, it seems like you as an individual, and the rest of the members in D12, have a lot to say about a lot of different subjects?
As far as my style and my music and the mix-tape that I’m putting together, it’s more just getting into the mind of me because a lot of people tell me I’m too laid back. I need to step up more. People need to know what I’m thinking.

Most people already know the group and they know who’s who, but they always have trouble with me and Swifty. We are always the ones who really don’t get that recognition because they always call us the henchmen. Proof was so vocal. Bizarre is vocal without even saying anything and Kon Artis, people know him for his beats. And, of course, there's Marshall…

Now it’s to the point where we really have to step it up and also just show people who we are. And that’s what I’m doing on this mix tape here. I’m showing people who I am. What I go through. I’m addressing a lot of issues. Like people saying that he’s [Eminem] fat.

“Marshall’s fat. Bizarre is this.”

They’re taking our quietness for weakness.

D12 is here to stay. Everyone knows that D12 means Dirty Dozen. I’ve read the blogs where people are so fucking cruel: “Why do they call it the Dozen when two members are dead?”

We’re always going to be the Dozen. D12 isn’t going anywhere.

From: http://detroit.metromix.com/music/artic ... 24/content
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Re: D12 Speak On Mixtape, Eminem Will Not Feature

Postby fazt » May 13th, '08, 13:11

:y: propz good news

but its no surprise with eminem not beeing on the mixtape otherwise they would have advertised more with his name to get more pre-orders. but still looking forward to it :8)
fazt
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Rabbi » May 13th, '08, 13:29

Amazing read :b:

Never knew much about Kuniva :y:
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying. - Woody Allen
Rabbi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Dark Blue » May 13th, '08, 13:49

oh i still think the mix tape is going to be good
HATERS If you worked your dreams like you do your mouth - things would happen for you
Dark Blue
Addict
Addict

Postby Emadyville » May 13th, '08, 15:47

nice feed, thanks. Looks interesting can't wait to hear it.
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby biaaatchen » May 13th, '08, 17:01

I can't understand that they are saying Eminem isn't featured, cuz at they're myspace it says that there will be new music from D12 included tracks featured group members Eminem and Proof. :b:
"I'm so good that I'm so bad, I guarantee I'll be the greatest thing you ever had/ 'cuz you ain't never met nobody like me and you ain't gonna wanna fuck nobody else again."
biaaatchen
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Emadyville » May 13th, '08, 21:07

Maybe it meant on the album, not the mixtape?
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby Tash8 » May 13th, '08, 21:09

d12 wants to get out of Eminem's Shadow yet every time they release something they say Eminem will feature on it, then last minute after everyone's bought it they say just kidding he's not...

what does that tell you?

They don't want to be under his shadow yet they want to use his fame for promotion?
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Postby BigBangBazinga » May 13th, '08, 21:56

If it has more tracks like Plead For Your Life, then this is gonna be one hot mixtape. :smoking:
I'ma be BALLIN UNCONTROLLABLY

Have you guys ever rapped along with Almost Famous? You cant deny, its fun LOL. - Miller1121

we stans listen to Eminem like 12 hrs or when ever our eyes are open. :coffee:
. - MCSam
BigBangBazinga
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Robbie G » May 13th, '08, 23:00

Lmao..sounds like they aren't really tight with Em anymore. Whatever it will still be hot, I;ve always thought Kuniva was dope.

Edit: Lmao, there Myspace still says Eminem is on it..whatever I don't care. I'd like Em and proof but it won't make/break me listening to it.
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby shady_soldier_ » May 14th, '08, 01:48

Marshall Mathers a.k.a. Eminem was arguably the largest pop star on the planet at the time.

:confusion:
](*,)

Looks like Mr. Mathers needs to do another "Real Slim Shady" to remind these people he's not POP!
:fuming:
this looks like a job for me
shady_soldier_
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Tash8 » May 14th, '08, 03:23

Shady Babie wrote:Edit: Lmao, there Myspace still says Eminem is on it..whatever I don't care. I'd like Em and proof but it won't make/break me listening to it.

the person who runs the d12 myspace is the same as the person who posted eminem is going in the studio to record for the mixtape..
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Postby Tash8 » May 14th, '08, 03:25

Also if I were to make a assumption. I'd say that eminem will be on the mixtape, because Derty Jason is more reliable than an article on a site i've never heard of before, and that article could have been when eminem hadn't recorded his stuff yet.
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Postby Robbie G » May 15th, '08, 02:35

Tash8 wrote:Also if I were to make a assumption. I'd say that eminem will be on the mixtape, because Derty Jason is more reliable than an article on a site i've never heard of before, and that article could have been when eminem hadn't recorded his stuff yet.

True true.

I wouldn't rule him out yet. :y:
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Tash8 » May 15th, '08, 15:06

k now i'd rule him out, eminem will not be on the mixtape, according to kuniva.
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Shady / Aftermath News