The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Shady Records Releases Statement On Obie's Departure

Check here to read and discuss latest news and media from the Shady / Aftermath family.

Shady Records Releases Statement On Obie's Departure

Postby IceAxe » Jul 1st, '08, 04:27

Following the heavy circulation of Obie Trice's new single "The Giant" signaling the Detroit rapper's departure from his situation with Shady Records and it's parent company, Interscope, the brass at Shady issued a statement Monday (Jun 30) reaffirming its support of Trice's decision.

"Shady Records has agreed to allow Obie Trice to pursue his craft in a different forum free from the constraints of the current major label model," Eminem's long time partner and manager Paul Rosenberg told AllHipHop.com.

Sources on the web have erroneously reported that the new explanatory track released to the web on Sunday (Jun 29) included lyrics meant as a diss to his former label and Eminem, who added Trice to the label's roster in 2000.

At issue was the song's opening verse, on which Trice raps "Guess it was meant / for me to branch off from my Caucasian friend" and "Nope, no more 2nd place to Eminem / question if I was 2nd is the question to many men."

"Eminem will continue to support and work with Obie on many levels of his career," Rosenberg stated frankly. "He remains a close friend and member of the Shady family."

During his time as a Shady/Interscope artist, Obie Trice's two albums which were well received critically, established the artist as Eminem's heir apparent.

The first, 2003's Cheers, sold over 500,000 copies worldwide, while its follow-up Second Round's On Me found slightly less commercial support.

Source
IceAxe
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Shady Records Releases Statement On Obie's Departure

Postby Pistolpoppin » Jul 1st, '08, 05:07

"Eminem will continue to support and work with Obie on many levels of his career," Rosenberg stated frankly. "He remains a close friend and member of the Shady family."

Thats the most important part, and this whole obie leaving shady could be for the best :y: hope to hear new obie soon ;)
Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit
Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish
But I'm debated disputed hated and viewed in America
as a motherfuckin drug addict - like you didn't experiment?
Pistolpoppin
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Epidemik » Jul 1st, '08, 08:22

:'( :'(
the only thing that can save shady records is if they sign royce da 5'9'' lol! :confusion:
Epidemik
Omnipotent
Omnipotent

Postby Tomega » Jul 1st, '08, 09:07

man we got bob creek n cashis coming and stat too

time for something new. it's not that bad, even though im an obie fan
Tomega
Role Model
Role Model

Postby j_shady » Jul 1st, '08, 13:38

if you think about it, its better that Obie does his thing w/out a major label for a while bcuz going independent means he'll be making alot of cash for himself and he wont have to worry about his albums being put on the hold, yeah it might suck that Obie wont be around but he has to do what he has to do to survive
"I never bow down, and never say doubt/To whom it may concern and whom so ever may try/i'm forever westside and the feather-weight dies/Tell em take ya best shot gon get yourself hot/cus I yelled Bankhead and you felt left out
I ain't mention yo name thats what all this bout"
j_shady
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Jay-19 » Jul 1st, '08, 17:26

At first I was disappointed when I heard the news, but now I feel like, this is probably good for Obie. It helps him develop himself I think, and not just be stuck with the same ol' rappers around him. I wanna hear some new Obie Trice! :8)
Kickin' Incredibly Dope Shit
Jay-19
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby matz » Jul 1st, '08, 19:39

this looks more and more like an interscope thing than an eminem thing
matz
Role Model
Role Model

Postby codyp » Jul 1st, '08, 20:24

2v3n wrote:
j_shady wrote:if you think about it, its better that Obie does his thing w/out a major label for a while bcuz going independent means he'll be making alot of cash for himself and he wont have to worry about his albums being put on the hold, yeah it might suck that Obie wont be around but he has to do what he has to do to survive

co-sign

i dont like most of the newer shady records artists tho, i wonder how cashis and creekwater got their deals, cashis is lyrically far below the average and bobby creekwater seems like any other average rapper .. nothing special at all
but ill wait for their albums, maybe one of them will surprise me :smoking:

I agree, except I doubt the chances of the cd surprising me will happen since the chances of me getting them are slim to none. I would have to be hearing some rave ass reviews to even download them. Cashis sounds horrible to me, so creekwater is the only one with a little hope. Em is back on drugs! Look at the people he signed on.
codyp
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Emadyville » Jul 2nd, '08, 05:14

KillahGoat wrote:At first I was disappointed when I heard the news, but now I feel like, this is probably good for Obie. It helps him develop himself I think, and not just be stuck with the same ol' rappers around him. I wanna hear some new Obie Trice! :8)

True that!
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby dontapproachme » Jul 5th, '08, 16:28

KillahGoat wrote:At first I was disappointed when I heard the news, but now I feel like, this is probably good for Obie. It helps him develop himself I think, and not just be stuck with the same ol' rappers around him. I wanna hear some new Obie Trice! :8)

yeh im the exact same.. wel said :happy:
dontapproachme
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DrRapid » Jul 6th, '08, 16:59

dontapproachme wrote:

yeh im the exact same.. wel said :happy:

Yep, I agree. I hope he does well next and doesn't have to wait so much for a next release.
"A coward dies 1000 deaths, a soldier dies but once."
R.I.P. Guru
DrRapid
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby GingaNinja1610 » Aug 7th, '08, 18:49

i was annoyed about Obie first off... but there's no beef and if it makes him better at what he does then thats ace
GingaNinja1610
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby anniee » Sep 6th, '08, 19:16

codyp wrote:I agree, except I doubt the chances of the cd surprising me will happen since the chances of me getting them are slim to none. I would have to be hearing some rave ass reviews to even download them. Cashis sounds horrible to me, so creekwater is the only one with a little hope. Em is back on drugs! Look at the people he signed on.

agreed.
cashis is okay i think but hes nothing special at all, and creekwater the same. i probably wont bother with them either :whistle:
anniee
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Kez » Sep 7th, '08, 17:21

smh

No Obie, no Stat

But we get Ca$his and Bobby Creek

Something's wrong
Kez
Pill Popper
Pill Popper