The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Before I Self Destruct Is A Classic

Stay up to date and discuss anything related to the Aftermath family here.

Re: Before I Self Destruct Is A Classic

Postby macdaddy019967 » Oct 7th, '12, 07:46

Mathers wrote:No not even close, I actually enjoyed a lot of songs on Massacre more.

The Massacre was also a classic but nothing comes close to BISD except GRODT

Re-Listen to BISD and tell me i'm wrong
#JMG #SacJB #ToxicBuffy #Trinell #Meadows_Killas
macdaddy019967
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Man1x » Oct 7th, '12, 12:17

macdaddy019967 wrote:
Mathers wrote:No not even close, I actually enjoyed a lot of songs on Massacre more.

You're wrong... :coffee:

Virigin ass bitch. :y:
#TeamK.Dot
#TeamYeezy
#TeamBigM
Man1x
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby kingmathers85 » Oct 7th, '12, 20:23

^I say he's right that BISD is better than Massacre, Massacre was too poppy & had too many fillers.BISD has only 2 fillers IMO & they both singles that Interscope forced upon him I bet.Flight 187 & either They Burn Me/Get It In would've replaced them, maybe even the Curtis leftover You Should Be Dead :b:
kingmathers85
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby rapaddict92 » Oct 25th, '12, 01:25

bisd wasn't as bad as ppl make it out to be. :p
rapaddict92
Soldier
Soldier

Postby MistaVijilantee » Oct 28th, '12, 07:05

macdaddy019967 wrote:

No offense, dude.
But you are coming off as a massive dickrider, 50 Cent has put a lot of mediocre material since Get Rich or Die Trying, BISD being a fairly average album by 50 standards.

50 Cent isn't a lyricist, he never has been but he's a fantastic entertainer.
The fact that his lyrics aren't overly complex doesn't help, especially when his entertainment value falters.
GRDT is a classic because of how entertaining it is, not because he has some mind blowing lyrics.

He is a cultural icon, 9/10 people know about 50, but that doesn't make all his album classics.

A classic is ground breaking and/or revolutionary, with exemplary production and extremely well written bars, this continuous over the entire album.
This doesn't happen for BISD.
YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK

Check out my latest song: https://www.triplejunearthed.com/artist ... vijilantee

Vijilantee on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTN150 ... gEP76MWJZw

Like Vijilantee on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iamjvp
MistaVijilantee
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rafael » Feb 4th, '13, 07:09

BFISD gets wayy too much hate. Its got some great tracks. The Invitation, So Disrespectful, Psycho, Stretch, Strong Enough to name a few, are all great tracks. Same thing with Curtis. Some great songs on there, but once people think something is whack they'll keep on thinking that and from there the hate will spread. That's what I also think happened to WTOH.
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby N.W.A. » Feb 5th, '13, 05:05

I agree it doesnt deserve the hate it gets, I always thought it was his best since GRODT, but not a classic by any means.
N.W.A.
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Almostlity » Feb 5th, '13, 06:35

>BISD
>Classic

pick one
Trimss wrote:> Alm goat
> Alm still goat

> Alm goat

Kill You wrote:Almostlity GOAT poster omg
Almostlity
DA GAWD
DA GAWD

Postby Francesco » Feb 21st, '13, 16:38

I agree ''BISD'' is a classic, I won't compare it to other albums but it's a great album overall.
The problem came when Interscope lost the momentum which ''Get up'' created & waited for 50 to adapt to the new way radio friendly singles started to get done which made him do ''Ok, you're right'', ''Baby by me'' & ''Do you think about me''. It took too much time & made them cut off ''Get up'' which was the typical 50 single. It took time for 50's fans to adapt to those new kinda singles too so it kinda hurt ''BISD'' sales, apart the bad planning I was talking about. I think even without that much radio play if the album came on time with ''Get up'' then sales were gonna be way different.
It's great just now Top 100 added YouTube plays to their way of setting the charts... I can't wait to see the difference as EM & 50 are killing YouTube.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby Francesco » Feb 21st, '13, 20:03

MistaVijilantee wrote:
macdaddy019967 wrote:

No offense, dude.
But you are coming off as a massive dickrider, 50 Cent has put a lot of mediocre material since Get Rich or Die Trying, BISD being a fairly average album by 50 standards.
The fact that his lyrics aren't overly complex doesn't help, especially when his entertainment value falters.
GRDT is a classic because of how entertaining it is, not because he has some mind blowing lyrics.
He is a cultural icon, 9/10 people know about 50, but that doesn't make all his album classics.
A classic is ground breaking and/or revolutionary, with exemplary production and extremely well written bars, this continuous over the entire album.
This doesn't happen for BISD.

Well you got some great valid points out there but you missed out on a lot. It's like you look at it as an outsider of hip-hop culture... a lotta people do that actually.

I agree with you, 50's not great lyricist, and Mac would agree with you about it too, but that has nothing to do with his thread, obviously. Lyricism has nothing to do with classic albums at the first place, hip-hop is rich & rappers have different skills so I could put a list with 100 top notch classics which are less lyrical than ''BISD''
Both Dr.Dre albums are considered 2 of the best albums ever made... if it was just about lyrics they wouldn't be in top 1000. There are tens of hip-hop icons who are less lyrical than 50 & they still have stone cold classics. For example GZA is by far the best & the most sophisticated lyricist out of Wu Tang & his ''Liquid Swords'' is a masterpiece but Rae, Ghost & Method Man all have albums that have splashed harder & are considered bigger classics than that. Kanye is not lyrical too & he doesn't write most of his stuff but all but one of his albums are classics.
So I agree with you of course, ''BISD'' is not like some top notch classic that would be up there with the best albums but it left its mark & in my opinion is a classic album by normal hip-hop standards. The standards you put out there would mean there's like not more than 10 classic albums in the history of hip-hop. A classic hip-hop album is simply very well received album that has splashed & lasts... sometimes with just few songs that splash & last.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby MistaVijilantee » Feb 23rd, '13, 01:17

[/quote]

No offense, dude.
This doesn't happen for BISD.[/quote]

Well you got some great valid points out there but you missed out on a lot. It's like you look at it as an outsider of hip-hop culture... a lotta people do that actually.

I agree with you, 50's not great lyricist, and Mac would agree with you about it too, but that has nothing to do with his thread, obviously. Lyricism has nothing to do with classic albums at the first place, hip-hop is rich & rappers have different skills so I could put a list with 100 top notch classics which are less lyrical than ''BISD''
Both Dr.Dre albums are considered 2 of the best albums ever made... if it was just about lyrics they wouldn't be in top 1000. There are tens of hip-hop icons who are less lyrical than 50 & they still have stone cold classics. For example GZA is by far the best & the most sophisticated lyricist out of Wu Tang & his ''Liquid Swords'' is a masterpiece but Rae, Ghost & Method Man all have albums that have splashed harder & are considered bigger classics than that. Kanye is not lyrical too & he doesn't write most of his stuff but all but one of his albums are classics.
So I agree with you of course, ''BISD'' is not like some top notch classic that would be up there with the best albums but it left its mark & in my opinion is a classic album by normal hip-hop standards. The standards you put out there would mean there's like not more than 10 classic albums in the history of hip-hop. A classic hip-hop album is simply very well received album that has splashed & lasts... sometimes with just few songs that splash & last.[/quote]

You have a great point about the lyricism aspect of a classic album when you were talking about The Chronic but the big difference is that it was particularly innovative and revolutionary in the fact it changed the sound of the Hip Hop culture.
Same with the Wu's first album, although it wasn't just strong with lyrics, no one at that time had that style.

50 only really had an original style inbetween the "How To Rob" era and GRODT, sure he had his commercial music but he was a grimy motherfucker.
I've never heard a Method Man held above a GZA album but I'm sure some people agree with it.
Meth has more charisma and a better presence, but The Genius makes you think, and confused the shit out of you at time - same with Ghostface.
Rae on the other hand and blunt and straight to the point, his storytelling is superb and he's a great lyricist, Rae and 50 are very much alike with the mafiso style but it's obvious one did it better.

I honestly think 50 only had a big impact by classic standards was on Get Rich, both with "In Da Club" and other bangers.
YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK

Check out my latest song: https://www.triplejunearthed.com/artist ... vijilantee

Vijilantee on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTN150 ... gEP76MWJZw

Like Vijilantee on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iamjvp
MistaVijilantee
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Francesco » Feb 23rd, '13, 02:21

MistaVijilantee wrote:You have a great point about the lyricism aspect of a classic album when you were talking about The Chronic but the big difference is that it was particularly innovative and revolutionary in the fact it changed the sound of the Hip Hop culture.
Same with the Wu's first album, although it wasn't just strong with lyrics, no one at that time had that style.
50 only really had an original style inbetween the "How To Rob" era and GRODT, sure he had his commercial music but he was a grimy motherfucker.
I've never heard a Method Man held above a GZA album but I'm sure some people agree with it.
Meth has more charisma and a better presence, but The Genius makes you think, and confused the shit out of you at time - same with Ghostface.
Rae on the other hand and blunt and straight to the point, his storytelling is superb and he's a great lyricist, Rae and 50 are very much alike with the mafiso style but it's obvious one did it better.
I honestly think 50 only had a big impact by classic standards was on Get Rich, both with "In Da Club" and other bangers.

Well I agree with your for the most part & I'm glad you know a lot more that I initially thought. You just put the bar too high for a normal classic album. I mean ''BISD'' could never touch the classics from the caliber of ''The Chronic'', no doubt about that but you probably know 50's mixtape takeover of New York before ''GRODT'' is now legendary & all his material from back then is considered classic. People who know only the commercial side of hip-hop think 50 was introduced by EM, which is true only on international level 'cuz 50 came out with a bang on himself first... with JMJ on his side actually at first.

You know after Biggie left how NY was still the mekka of hip-hop & there were like 5-6 gigantic rappers fighting for the crown, in their pinnacle that is & that last several years... Hov, Nas, DMX, then you got Ruff Ryders & Wu Tang dropping group & solo classics, Mobb Deep, Pun, Big L, etc. etc. Then if you add the older rappers who were still dropping hot albums & the underground & commercial rappers that really makes it clear NY at that era was easily untouchable. Right about near the end of that era 50 took over NY, he just kicked the door in & came with a bang. This is not even my opinion, as I said his takeover is now legendary as he made such noise that a lot of those legendary & internationally known rappers I put out there came back at him after ''How to rob''
My point is ''GRODT'' is partially made from material done around that time & partially what EM & Dre did with 50 after that resembles that same thing... so does ''BISD''
''GRODT'' is by far bigger classic but to me ''BISD'' resembles the 50 you're talking about better. Check the mixtapes from the takeover & you'll see what I'm talking about. To me ''So disrespectful'' was ''The bridge is over'' all over again, even though I don't compare them to each other or as what impact they had on hip-hop 'cuz ''The bridge is over'' is one of the golden pages in hip-hop's history & ''So disrespectful'' is not close to it.
''Psycho'' & ''Stretch'' are simply genius... apart pure lyricism & the fact 50 was repeating himself with some records & style, it is very well crafted & most of it very authentic album overall.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby Rafael » Feb 23rd, '13, 15:56

^ THIS RIGHT HERE :worship: :worship: :worship:
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby Despicable » May 5th, '13, 15:18

:facepalm
Cry babies,maybe my way that i use words is loose
but you turds better be careful how you choose yours
Cause feelings scar,but egos bruise worse
And the truth hurts,shit no wonder youre sore losers
Despicable
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Francesco » May 7th, '13, 00:29

Despicable wrote::facepalm

Do you believe it's cool to just pretty much downgrade anything in any thread on the way? lol
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Previous

Return to Aftermath Entertainment