The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Kez - Unwelcome Back

The forum for TRshady family audio songs and albums / mixtapes.

Re: Kez - Unwelcome Back

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » May 29th, '11, 16:55

Kez - Unwlecome Back Review.

Ill be typing this as an overall review and not track by track. Ive heard every kex mixtape and track that there is so alot of this will be a review on the progress made. Im a general fan of kez's music and ill try pick up on things that i know could get a little mundane with the amount of similiar content.

The mixtape kicks of great man, it fits the mood of the cover and thats what you want from the cover through the music to the outro should be one full expeirence and you nail this through-out the mixtape.

All the way through this project there is multiple lines that could get quoted, lots of hard hitting lines and the delivery on them is always perfect, from thoughtful to a killer punch is always hit with the correct amount of emphasis.

"I Dont give a fuck, thats why when im having sex iam snoring"

"All i see is black and white like im a chess peice"

I could keep going on lines that i picked out while listening through, but i wont.

I feel your better at taking hooks yourself and thats evident in the mixtape, I really enjoyed "if you say so" but the beats with hooks you choose really did take away from you as an artists, i feel you do good hooks and having the hook with beat really doesnt sound like your style and you never catch the concept the way you would if you have created a hook yourself for it.

Breathe is another stand our track for me, love the change of pace and didnt expect you to be on a beat like this, your bring your own style to the lyrical content and thats what i love about this mixtape. The spin you take on normal concepts its always fun and great to listen to.

The downfall would be the overall content, Its a darker mixtape that is evident, but i would love to hear you branch out and start tackling different types of music, this feels like its the end game for the kez we all knew and loved, like youve mastered this style of your music, the angry pissed off mc who can take apart any concept with the lyrical aspect and humor you bring. Now i'd love to see you hit some concept tracks, start speaking on things that are less at home to yourself, even through something out there for the girls, really dig deep and start feeling the emotion that can be brough in a track.

There's another level to music and thats what i want to see you take next, underground scene youve got and you could spar with the best of them, but id love to see you step it up now to being a full rounded artist and start getting yourself out there and more acseible.

You have the skill to do it, you just need the push.

Overall, i enjoyed this mixtape, the content starts to drag a little but you do try keep it fresh with the punches and over lyrical aspect of the mixtape.

To rate this against your other mixtapes id put it easily the best ive heard from you, now i want to see you step your game up once again and start tackling the other aspect of music and get a full album project together because your more than ready for it.
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Kez » May 30th, '11, 01:26

,-,'-{Bar}-',-, wrote:The mixtape kicks of great man, it fits the mood of the cover and thats what you want from the cover through the music to the outro should be one full expeirence and you nail this through-out the mixtape.

Thanks man, I was keepin that in mind the whole time I was making it.

I feel your better at taking hooks yourself and thats evident in the mixtape, I really enjoyed "if you say so" but the beats with hooks you choose really did take away from you as an artists, i feel you do good hooks and having the hook with beat really doesnt sound like your style and you never catch the concept the way you would if you have created a hook yourself for it.

Yeah I know what you mean, some of the sample hooks I just didn't want it to get too repetitive. Plus people have complained before that they don't think I can really sing or shit like that (to which I disagree personally) so it pisses them off, so I was trying to keep it in mind. But I know what you mean.

Breathe is another stand our track for me, love the change of pace and didnt expect you to be on a beat like this, your bring your own style to the lyrical content and thats what i love about this mixtape. The spin you take on normal concepts its always fun and great to listen to.

Thanks haha, I always wanted to do a track like Breathe, I honestly love the idea of accoustic rap (like Instant Legend's song he posted); it's just hard to record is the problem. It would be great if I had many friends who play guitar, but only some of them do and past that getting their playing recorded would be hard as fuck. So when I found this beat I wanted to get on it.

The downfall would be the overall content, Its a darker mixtape that is evident, but i would love to hear you branch out and start tackling different types of music, this feels like its the end game for the kez we all knew and loved, like youve mastered this style of your music, the angry pissed off mc who can take apart any concept with the lyrical aspect and humor you bring. Now i'd love to see you hit some concept tracks, start speaking on things that are less at home to yourself, even through something out there for the girls, really dig deep and start feeling the emotion that can be brough in a track.

I know what you mean. I mean ever since Breakout I been trying to get away from this kinda stuff, but it continues to draw me in. This tape was heavily influenced by my life at the time, where I felt pretty shit, so it's bound to come out that way. The position i'm in in my life, this is just the kind of music it births. I'm sure you know entirely what I mean; before you got a bit big with Snow and shit you were making shit like the System EP (although that as a concept itself was still pretty impressive for a first EP).

Some positivity in my life related to the music would help a lot to be honest, but anyone who's on my side with the shit is halfway across the country if not the world, so it's hard. I honestly plan to visit some of these people someday soon (you being one of em) when I can, but being unemployed with no money, it's pretty much impossible.

As for stuff for the girls, that's honestly gonna be a stretch for me haha, when it comes to that kinda shit i'm completely distanced from it. I agree entirely on the "less at home to yourself" stuff. I mean I always make personal music cause that's how hip hop is, but I am keeping this stuff in mind. The tape i'm doing with Ax is going for a different direction; it's still about us, but it's not this dark. You'll see what I mean. I really hope it goes well cause it'll influence where I go next, depending on the feedback. I really am trying to go in a different direction to this stuff on the Ax tape, so you all better check that out. (It's gonna be fucking good trust me)

There's another level to music and thats what i want to see you take next, underground scene youve got and you could spar with the best of them, but id love to see you step it up now to being a full rounded artist and start getting yourself out there and more acseible.

I dunno if I could really be the kind of mainstream rapper if that's what you mean haha, honestly even as a person I go against most mainstream culture just on principle, not even on a "oh I wanna be hipster" kinda shit. Plus you know full well most UK hip hop is grime, and I am about as far away from that as I am from screamo. But I know what you mean.

Overall, i enjoyed this mixtape, the content starts to drag a little but you do try keep it fresh with the punches and over lyrical aspect of the mixtape.

I feel you about the content lol, there's a couple tracks I wish I had taken out of this to shorten it.

To rate this against your other mixtapes id put it easily the best ive heard from you, now i want to see you step your game up once again and start tackling the other aspect of music and get a full album project together because your more than ready for it.

That's my next plan :smoking: Next project will be a proper album if I have anything to say about it.

Thanks for the feed Bar :worship: It's good to know you especially felt it, one of the people on here who's opinion I most respect. And i'm still waiting on all the people in this thread who said they would leave feed lmao :p But yeah, I get that people are busy.
Kez
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » May 30th, '11, 03:19

Killa brought something up to me and i dont think i explained what i ment to well.

when i was talking about things for girls and stuff, i was just meaning you taking on the concept, not making it a track about girls.

You could kill a club track...litteraly take the concept "killing a club track" and rape it with your style, some direction on things like this would get you to vent your style on more ways i feel. Just being open to things you think you dont fit into, then molding it into you doing your on take on that concept. Best way to explain would be eminem back when he done kim, a song about loving someone so much you would kill them if they left you. Not soppy at all but an amazing take on "love".

like if i was managing you, id be telling you to take on those concepts and put your twist on it, it could be humor, or turning something that should be mellow really aggressive were it would shock and impress people.

keep churning out the music man, was curious way back when and even now im still impressed and looking forward to how far you can go man. :y:
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Kez » Jun 2nd, '11, 18:41

Again Bar I thank you a thousand times for that shit. Yeah I know what you're talking about, my next album will probably take a while with all this stuff to keep in mind.

I bumped this for a reason anyway, this is to the people who wanted to check it but didn't want to go through the arduous (I guess) task of downloading the .rar. I put the album on Bandcamp so you can just stream it now.

Link is in the updated first post, but i'll post it here all the same.

I hope some more people will give it a listen now, haha. It took me fucking ages to upload all the songs, so. You have no excuse now people :p

EDIT: Foresight is for some reason proving hard to upload due to a "sucky sample rate"; i'm trying shit to make it work, but if it doesn't, i'll just put a link to the song individually in the original post.
Kez
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Maybe » Jun 10th, '11, 07:04

Most people don't acknowledge the time and dedication it takes to successfully conceive a conceptual album, especially one with a single thought process scattered throughout a variety of ideas. The portrayal of emotions, lyrically and phonetically alike, place your album in a class far beyond that of a "netcee", and solidify your image as a "realist" in your art form. What initially detoured me was the choice of instrumentals; however, that minor flaw was quickly engulfed by deep, thought-provoking words, spoken with a clear, often times saddened emotional breakthrough, separating your voice from the beat, simply by controlling it. It's difficult to judge an album when considering the creation process. I write this with my personal taste in mind, and a heart on my sleeve (as this album baffled me with some of the connections made between personal life and the written material).

I was also surprised that your accent not only sounded smooth and understandable, but actually contributed positively to your flow and presence (which were both generally good, with a few minor exceptions that were easy to ignore). The only major inconsistency was your quality, which although always listenable, occasionally caught me off guard with odd mixing. Your simple approach to complex issues astounds me, and you actually back your "real shit" album with excellent lyricism and a nearly perfected flow.

The following is my song-by-song review (according to what I listened to first).

Breath
This was definitely my favorite song on the album. Your emotion and subjective lyrics were something this website has yet to see. Some of your notable lines here (such as the faith/atheist bit) were amazingly deep, and reflected my feelings on the subject beautifully. I don't have anything to critique because this is the type of song I truly enjoy.

Come Correct
My first impression of this track wasn't great because I disliked the beat before it even started completely. The song picked up when I realized how exceptional your flow had become, coupled with solid lyrics (and some very interesting lines).

Foresight
The lyrics and flow on this track were perfectly on point. The only major flaw was the mixing, which really stalled this song from becoming one of the best on the album. If I commented on all the great lines in this song, I'd run out of compliments and things would take a turn to gay-town really quickly.

If You Say So
I'd consider this track my second favorite, but that's probably because I can easily relate to your lyrics. I normally dislike premade hooks on tracks, but your content was REALLY good, and it actually brought the beat to life. I'm also a huge fan of how you say something silly, and comment on your nonsense in the next line. It's very entertaining and helps to break apart an otherwise "serious" song.

Jagged Pill
Easily my favorite instrumental on the album. Honestly, your lyrics on this song were excellently written (especially on the second verse, which was one of the best on the album), but unfortunately your flow in the first verse wasn't up to par with the flow in Breath or If You Say So, which is what pushed it beneath them for me. I do like that you sing the hook, which actually sounds pretty good. During this song I had one of those moments where I thought "damn, the accent really makes the song better".

Make Ends Meet
This song stands out for me, because it has my favorite hook of the album. Your voice sounds really good, and the style chosen for the chorus was perfect. The lyrics in this song were simply perfect, and the flow was outstanding. Actually, a few parts across the verses shocked me with how fluid they were. Your stop-go flow bits are excellent, and they compliment your 'hold-nothing-back-crude-and-shameless' approach to writing.

Poison
This song was simply great. The flow was good, the lyrics were good, and despite the content being slightly scattered, the song was a great addition to the album. It actually fits beautifully, since the subject matter is similar (without being repetitive), which is a feat in itself, really.

Tell Me Why
Your grasp on multies is pretty impressive (although you never sacrifice content for excessive rhyming), which is what makes this song amazing. The first verse displays your talent, but you really SHINE in the second verse (especially the first 6 lines). Around this song is when I found you to be one of the more established artists I've heard online.

Told Myself
Man, I myself have yet to accomplish a song with content like this. I've always wanted to write something like this, but you did it so well I don't even want to bother with the subject now. The lyrics are obviously great, and although the flow is slightly off at some points, for the most part it's on point. Regardless, this song almost made me reconsider my engagement. That's how much impact is has (or should have, actually).

Undecided
The way you come in is very interesting. This is another song being held back by it's odd mixing, but it still stands strong. When the guitar comes in, your flow goes from good to amazing in a seamless transition, which really impressed me. I really felt like your wrote to the melody, as apposed to writing to the drums, which proves that you're above most netcees once again.

When The Music Stops
I've noticed that you have a really interesting writing style that not many people manage to be consistent with. In this song it's almost like Eminem (in the MMLP days) wrote a song with meaning and a unique approach to flowing away from the snare.

Without You
At this song, I was still in shock that you managed to keep a single subject matter so damn interesting thoroughly. You say a lot of things nobody else does, and I think that really defines you as a rapper. This song easily reflects a true relationship with words, because although in a less-meaningful attempt, you manage to tie the subject matter to a simple "unnatural" rhyming style with the use of common and uncommon words alike.

Worth My Time
I loved this song, but it wasn't up to par with the rest of the songs content wise. Your flow was still great, and the lyrics were still excellently witty and entertaining. I don't have much else to say, other than that it was a generally good song.

You shattered my expectations in the best possible way imaginable. Also, you have an exceptional vocabulary and an amazing way with words. You're good at expressing your thoughts, which is a talent many novelists get rich with. This was in all honestly the best overall project I've ever downloaded from this site, and if the quality and mixing were professional, this would actually stand as an acceptable underground compilation that would with no doubt establish your position as a great artist.
classthe_king wrote:
If you and Siinide don't start recording soon I'm going to fly to where ever you live, tie you up, put the mic in front of your faces and force you to record.
Bronies: Kez, Yoshi, Slimm, Satire, Block, Xray, Dr3, Killa, VenomBlackViper, C.R.E.A.M, SWEET_TOOTH, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie & all the citizens of Ponyville.
EG. wrote:and i dont even like hot dog
Maybe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TheGentlePlayer » Jun 23rd, '11, 14:19

Pressing on is dope as hell! :o :worship:

Mad props bro :y:
I wanted an album so rugged nobody could touch it.
Spent a million a track and went over my budget.
Now how in the fuck am I supposed to get out of debt?
I can't rap anymore, I just murdered the alphabet.
TheGentlePlayer
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Rapsoldier101 » Jun 26th, '11, 11:30

I was really into the production... I like the cover to. The lyrics were good for most of it. Wasnt crazy about alot of the hooks. It sounds like you should tighten up the flow.. but it might only be because of your accent, im not sure, ill have to listen a little more. Favorite track of mine is actually the first, great way to introduce the project. I give it a 8/10 :y: good work!
Rapsoldier101
Soldier
Soldier

Previous

Return to Audio Stage