The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Rivahflow - This Is It

The forum for TRshady family audio songs and albums / mixtapes.

Rivahflow - This Is It

Postby VanillaSkittlez » Jan 2nd, '13, 05:55

"You always thought that I was so stupid to write rhymes
Thinking I would never make it and lose with the white eyes
But this formula I created proved I was Einstein
Now I've done more shit than you'd ever do in your lifetime." - Hopsin
VanillaSkittlez
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Re: Rivahflow - This Is It

Postby Eedee » Jan 8th, '13, 06:28

You seem to rhyme well. I liked that.

You immediately came in with a high clip, didn't bode well for quality for the rest of the song. Do you use a pop filter? Sounds like you need one desperately.

Anyway, content was okay, lyrics were cool but nothing really jaw-dropping.

I assume you got the hook premade on the beat? Doesn't sound like the rest of the song.

Not much else I can say. You seem hesitant with your voice and flow... Don't worry. I was like that too when I started rapping (not sure how new you are though).

Keep it up and keep making songs and posting and you'll only get better. :y:
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby VanillaSkittlez » Jan 8th, '13, 23:05

Eedee wrote:You seem to rhyme well. I liked that.

You immediately came in with a high clip, didn't bode well for quality for the rest of the song. Do you use a pop filter? Sounds like you need one desperately.

Anyway, content was okay, lyrics were cool but nothing really jaw-dropping.

I assume you got the hook premade on the beat? Doesn't sound like the rest of the song.

Not much else I can say. You seem hesitant with your voice and flow... Don't worry. I was like that too when I started rapping (not sure how new you are though).

Keep it up and keep making songs and posting and you'll only get better. :y:

Thanks!

Yeahhhh I'm still trying to get a hold of playing with Audacity... it was my first song ever recorded really so I'm still trying to learn how to mix and master and everything. Funny thing was that it was recorded with a pop filter... I didn't think popping was the problem necessarily, just some of the input might have been too much for the USB mic to handle. If you have any tips I'd really appreciate it.

The hook came with the beat - by "doesn't sound like the rest of the song" do you mean our subject matter/lyrics or quality-wise?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty new haha. I'm 17 and just started actually recording and getting serious about writing so I'm really new to the process but thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

VanillaSkittlez
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Eedee » Jan 9th, '13, 05:20

What kind of microphone do you use? And at the top of Audacity there's a little mic volume level, try turning that down to around .1 or .2, that can help a lot with volume levels.

And the hook sounds different quality wise, is what I meant.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby TripleNineThree » Jan 9th, '13, 05:34

Chorus - This is sick. I'm guessing it was on the beat when you downloaded it? The quality is very professional on the vocals for the chorus.

Your vocals are REALLY distorted but I think Eedee hit on that so listen to what he has to say lol. I'm guessing you're new to rapping? Your lyrics are actually pretty good, you have some decent multis in it. Your delivery is probably the best thing about this song because I can hear your emotion. Your flow is okay.. You fall off quite a few times but that all comes with practice.

Stay on your grind fam and keep working on music!
TripleNineThree
Soldier
Soldier

Postby VanillaSkittlez » Jan 10th, '13, 00:08

Eedee wrote:What kind of microphone do you use? And at the top of Audacity there's a little mic volume level, try turning that down to around .1 or .2, that can help a lot with volume levels.

I use a Sampson Meteor Mic USB Studio Headphone, it was a gift from my gf and the best I have besides my computer mic and I just recently got a pop filter but I'm still trying to get better quality.

You mean the input volume? Are you sure that it won't be too low to record?

VanillaSkittlez
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby VanillaSkittlez » Jan 10th, '13, 00:10

VanillaSkittlez wrote:
Eedee wrote:What kind of microphone do you use? And at the top of Audacity there's a little mic volume level, try turning that down to around .1 or .2, that can help a lot with volume levels.

I use a Sampson Meteor Mic USB Studio Headphone, it was a gift from my gf and the best I have besides my computer mic and I just recently got a pop filter but I'm still trying to get better quality.

"Chorus - This is sick. I'm guessing it was on the beat when you downloaded it? The quality is very professional on the vocals for the chorus.

Your vocals are REALLY distorted but I think Eedee hit on that so listen to what he has to say lol. I'm guessing you're new to rapping? Your lyrics are actually pretty good, you have some decent multis in it. Your delivery is probably the best thing about this song because I can hear your emotion. Your flow is okay.. You fall off quite a few times but that all comes with practice.

Stay on your grind fam and keep working on music!"

Thanks man - yeah, the hook was premade with the beat. Yeah I'm new to rapping haha, it's the first song I've ever actually seriously written and recorded. I agree haha, the quality should be much better I'm just unsure how to go about doing that without spending a lot of money that I don't have. Thanks! I have some more in the vault but I tried to make this one sound unique through its emotion and yelling but unfortunately it was a double-edged sword and the yelling distorted the quality even more... Yeah, I've gotten mixed reviews on the flow and hearing it back I can see where I went wrong but I really appreciate the feedback, thank you so much!

VanillaSkittlez
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Eedee » Jan 10th, '13, 00:25

VanillaSkittlez wrote:

Well, it should be okay once you put some compression on the vocals. That way the peaks and such are all level.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby VanillaSkittlez » Jan 10th, '13, 00:27

Eedee wrote:
VanillaSkittlez wrote:

Well, it should be okay once you put some compression on the vocals. That way the peaks and such are all level.

Yeah definitely - I was unsure on how to do that. Should I invest in a compressor then? Or is there a compression function in Audacity? Sorry - I'm so new to all this, still trying to get a hold of how to make the best quality possible.

VanillaSkittlez
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Eedee » Jan 10th, '13, 00:31

Highlight your vocals and go up to "effects" and then "compressor" - put the ratio at around 3:1 ~ 6:1 depending on how "wet" you want it to sound. Then fiddle with the decay/attack till it sounds good. Then I'd play around with the EQ levels by boosting and cutting your low/mid/high frequencies, not by too much, and hit "preview" near the bottom of the EQ screen to see how it sounds. Boosting your mids will make it a bit more wet, sometimes that sounds good on a beat, but other times cutting (putting the EQ bands lower under the black line) makes it sound a bit more clean and dry, which can also sound great depending on the beat.

Feel free to hit me back for more questions.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Trimss » Jan 12th, '13, 00:56

Yeah, so like Eedee said your voice came too loud compared to the beat and the hook, and you were also kinda "screaming" (you know, not actually screaming but rapping with a loud tone) so it sounded even louder because of the high volume.

Your writing wasn't bad, but yeah with Eedee's tips it should get better.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Return to Audio Stage