The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Catastrophic (Mixtape)

The forum for TRshady family audio songs and albums / mixtapes.

Re: Catastrophic (Mixtape)

Postby KoLyric » Oct 6th, '13, 00:32

Currently listening. Will do a track-by-track review shortly.
Due to length, each song review will be a little more condensed than usual.

Withered Wallflower- Coming soon.
KoLyric
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Eedee » Oct 6th, '13, 00:34

No problem, lookin' forward to what you think!
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby KoLyric » Oct 6th, '13, 01:17

All in all, the tape was good. You and DGAF shared the art evenly, and complimented eachother well. Quality is pretty good, though I feel that Eedee's quality is better than DGAF. Unless he just mixes his material differently, that would be the only thing that sort of clashes negatively.
The album art is great, too. What is the story behind that? The asteroid-type object hitting Earth reminds me of the opening sequence to Lars Von Trier's "Melancholia".

Catastophic- A nice strong opening. This time the hook was done well, but was completely murked by the verses lol. Which is completely a good thing, mind you. Eedee, your verse starts strong, and ends strong with that Citizen Kane line, but some of the lines felt rushed in the final 8 bars. DGAF, I love the way you start slowly, then speed it up after the first few bars. For a while the quick flow was steady, but it fell off a couple times. Maybe not fall off as much as the pronunciation of the words was scrambled, thus making the lines sound sloppy. Your delivery/flow mixed together had a dope Kendrick Lamar feel to them.

Come Together- Yes, piano. Emotional tracks are my favorite, so my expectations are high. Eedee starts off again, I like the progressive sense of emotion. Although it was building up, to go softer by the end of the verse. Nonetheless, the calmer voice here gives it a more melancholic feel. No hook=great idea for this song. The strings sound fantastic on their own. There was no need to have anything else here!
DGAF, good energy and flow. For some reason I'm never a fan of how your verses end lol. The emotion was all here. I like the back-and-forth bars that follow, any sense of change ups sound great in music. I wish more artists could take turns like this more often.
Relateable lyrics. Props

Sincerely Yours- YES! EMOTION! The piano here is BEAUTIFUL. The drums, not a fan of, but fuck it, the beat isn't the star of the show. DGAF, starting here for a change of pace, I enjoyed the energy like always. Eedee, your part came in strong but you fell off like once or twice. I liked the sharing of the first verse, that whole concept of interacting with each other. Good change.
The hook, I liked it a lot! Not much to leave on that.
The final two verses, Eedee you had a relateable verse definitely here. DGAF replying to your letter was a good swith here. DGAF, I liked the layers to your voice (Same with yours earlier, Eedee)

Falling Tears- Big fan of the sample. Sets the song to have an intense feel. DGAF, awesome energy here. "To the bottom of the food chain" line, with its build up, was awesome. Your mix sounds different here. Not sure if that's good or bad, but it's different o.O . Eedee, Good emotion here, and the flow is great. This might be my favorite verse from you. Relateable and executed well. The drop out part sounded like it fell off a little, though. Forgivable, obviously, because this is probably one of my favorite verses on the tape itself, too!

That's You Talking- I heard this so I'll comment on the end of DGAF's verse. Yup, verse still ends the same abrupt way. But, that was already discussed!

Pandora's Box- Might be my favorite instrumental off this tape. Allrounda=Shadowville=My first rap board ever. DGAF, starts strong but your words slightly get muddled in the middle. Redeemed yourself in the next verse, definitely. I liked that you shouted out eminem! Eedee, good crisp flow here. Your verse that follows was good. I liked the references to MJ. The hook is good! I like the concept of Pandora's Box, so naturally this track caught my attention. Verse three was a good exchange between you two. It reminded me of Sing For The Moment, due to music's effect on people (which, evidently, is the entire theme of this song.

Thunderstorms- 2deep is dope, and this sample is cool. Old school vibe. DGAF, your flow is sick and fits with the vibe the beat gives. Probably my favorite verse of yours just due to that opening. "life that I fought for" section and the second to last bar fell off slightly. Eedee, intense verse. Delivery is always strong, so I'm glad to see that as a consistency for you throughout this tape.

Headed for the light- The inspirational beat/hook lead me to believe this will be quite an uplifting end to what is a pretty diverse tape in terms of emotion. Eedee, "insane"? What happened there? Audio glitch? Lol, the last half of your verse is sickkkk. Great change up. Those reverb layers sound sick, too. The "bitch" end sounded rushed in there, though. DGAF, final verse on the tape, eh? This verse is your best, if not second best, on this tape. Props, saved the best for last? haha. (Best out of DGAF's verses, btw. I remain neutral upon who I think is better between you two. Both have an equal contribution to this tape.)

Good drop, guys! I liked most of the beat choices, too. I think I'm done... lol

KoLyric
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Mr.DGAF » Oct 6th, '13, 01:25

Definitely appreciate the feed man. The first song is a bit off flow wise due to some fuck ups on my part sending him my vocals. Some shit got messed up, but that's my bad. Also, his set up is a large portion better than mine is haha, which is why his verses sound a bit more crisp quality wise than mine do. Falling Tears is our newest song, and my newest verse, and I think the quality is a bit reflective of that haha.

Thanks for the feed dude, I'm not incredibly happy with my performance on this tape and I know Eedee is a perfectionist too but thanks man, also, sick sig.
You'd be surprised...
How many truths you can hide in flows

Quest for Six
Team Emma Stone
Buns till amazing... :')
Mr.DGAF
Renegade
Renegade

Location: In the back seat of your truck, with duct tape stretched out.

Postby KoLyric » Oct 6th, '13, 01:28

Mr.DGAF wrote:
Thanks for the feed dude, I'm not incredibly happy with my performance on this tape and I know Eedee is a perfectionist too but thanks man, also, sick sig.

haha you too! Heisenberg is the shit.

Anywho, don't beat yourself up over this. It was still a great performance. I'll be honest, there are some professional artist's that have evident slip ups in their most recent material. That's why you perfect doing the song live, then redeem yourself at a concert!!!! haha.
I'll be around here when you both release new music. Even established artists are still growing.

Props

KoLyric
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Eedee » Oct 6th, '13, 01:34

As for the album cover, well, this tape is kind of talking about shit through our own eyes. And an asteroid hitting the earth is catastrophic. But WE'RE Catastrophic. So... it's us, it's our eyes. Yep, plus it looks cool.

As for the "insane"... I laughed during the "insane" part haha, and there's an adlib layer underneath there so it kinda fucks up a bit. (YOLO)

Since you're here, you should check out my Summer Cuts tape as well! It's much newer stuff than this tape, I think my performance is better. Falling Tears is on that tape as well, because why not? Lol. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=164245
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Joel Venom » Nov 20th, '13, 01:04

that's a pretty ill cover to be honest, im gonna check out the tape
Joel Venom
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Just Silver » Nov 20th, '13, 01:07