The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Yelawolf on Radioactive

Everything related to the record label Shady Records, including Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf.

Yelawolf on Radioactive

Postby EminemBase » Jun 26th, '13, 06:04

Never seen this interview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXmc5oPUGxo

Good shit.

From the way he described the input of the forces of the label... that does make you question how much control Em truly had over Recovery. Maybe they let him do Relapse how he wanted as it had always worked for him but when it didn't sell as they wanted, they input directions.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Re: Yelawolf on Radioactive

Postby master360 » Jun 26th, '13, 07:07

EminemBase wrote:Never seen this interview...

Good shit.

From the way he described the input of the forces of the label... that does make you question how much control Em truly had over Recovery. Maybe they let him do Relapse how he wanted as it had always worked for him but when it didn't sell as they wanted, they input directions.

I dont think u can compare this situation with Marshall discography...we got Encore, TES, TMMLP etc...If they wanna control his music, they probably did also in the past. But music speaks for itself so...
"just let our spirits live on, through our lyrics that you hear in our songs and we can..."
master360
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Arrinef » Jun 26th, '13, 07:52

Im sure the label forced its nuts down on radioactive to compensate for yela' physical appearance. I know its a reach, it did cross my mind. I have yet to see the caliber of promotion slaughter got compared with yela.

---- Image-----
Arrinef
Knight Rider
Knight Rider

Postby Francesco » Jun 26th, '13, 09:01

It's not like they forced Em or whatever... just that he chose to trust/listen to them too much 'cuz he still cares a great deal about his commercial success.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby EminemBase » Jun 26th, '13, 12:25

master360 wrote:
EminemBase wrote:Never seen this interview...

Good shit.

I dont think u can compare this situation with Marshall discography...we got Encore, TES, TMMLP etc...If they wanna control his music, they probably did also in the past. But music speaks for itself so...

Yeah but as I said... Em's shit / total control of his shit always worked in the past.

All of his first four albums sold through the roof...

So that's why he probably just did Relapse with total control again too but then when they perhaps expected more sales for his return (note, he sold less than Jay on his return and Em has always been 100 times more gigantic; also further proof skin colour means fuck all doh) - and the mixed reaction... maybe they started saying to him "Well, what about if you just try working with who's hot right now and adapting?" and I get the sense Em felt he was losing touch so made that change...

I'm not saying anybody forced him, but I think it's probable they suggested some things aka work with these producers and aim for this and that and he decided to go for it to re-establish his spot as a dinosaur in the genre again.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby JAGODA » Jun 26th, '13, 13:16

Good shit, EmBase. :y:

It makes sense.... now I really wonder how the new album will look like.

Because they obviously want him to have huge sales again.

Alchemist said Em was going into further territories, now I'm curious if it was Em's idea or he was given it. :coffee:
JAGODA
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby OMEGA » Jun 27th, '13, 18:04

I'm surprised by how good of a speaker Yela seems to be. Good responses and makes me feel the frustration he had with how Radioactive was handled.

Also, amazing to hear that Country Cousins is in the making. That shit will be dope as fuck considering where Big KRIT and Yelawolf are right now (both dropped the best hh albums so far this year)
OMEGA
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Snakebeast » Jun 27th, '13, 18:20

Revolutionary wrote:Don't forget that the label had control over Em from the very first album.
But back then he was in a more hungry mind-state and made anthems like My Name Is and TRSS.
They only asked him to make something that the radio will play and he gave them those 2 songs, they didn't bother controlling the content so he clearly had full creative control.

So yeah, I do think they affected Em's direction but they had no control over the details of the project.
Like, they asked him to do something else other than Relapse, something that people might be able to enjoy more but they didn't tell him how to write things or what to write about. Not Afraid and LTWYL were clearly made because Em wanted to make them but the label might have made him work with producers that were hot at the moment.

Again, the label doesn't care about the details. They just want shit that's marketable, but because Em is better than most rappers, he doesn't compromise, he goes into an alternative road to reach his original destination (theme).

This is the reason why Em is so awesome, in my eyes. He manages to make radio-friendly songs without compromising his creativity or art. He's a genius.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)
Snakebeast
Renegade
Renegade

Postby EminemBase » Jun 27th, '13, 20:31

Revolutionary wrote:Don't forget that the label had control over Em from the very first album.
But back then he was in a more hungry mind-state and made anthems like My Name Is and TRSS.
They only asked him to make something that the radio will play and he gave them those 2 songs, they didn't bother controlling the content so he clearly had full creative control.

So yeah, I do think they affected Em's direction but they had no control over the details of the project.
Like, they asked him to do something else other than Relapse, something that people might be able to enjoy more but they didn't tell him how to write things or what to write about. Not Afraid and LTWYL were clearly made because Em wanted to make them but the label might have made him work with producers that were hot at the moment.

Again, the label doesn't care about the details. They just want shit that's marketable, but because Em is better than most rappers, he doesn't compromise, he goes into an alternative road to reach his original destination (theme).

They didn't really have control though...

They trust him to do his shit as... they didn't know, and he was under the tutelage of Dr. Dre who had much success already, and they were trying to enter a new phase, so they let it organically happen; they didn't make him make "My Name Is" - that was simply an accidental hit which Em then used as a formula for his future lead singles. The Slim Shady LP is 100% pure; completely unfiltered concepts, lyrics and beats from Em, Bass Bros and Dr. Dre.

Then you have MMLP - the only compromised song is 'Real Slim Shady', but the only pressure they put on was for him to have a hit single to accompany the album... and I mean, any label wants that, that's a given, they're a business, they need shit to blow up and make money...

But they didn't control his content or effect the album in any other way, and RSS still totally fits the album, he just broadened himself a little bit, and made it catchier and more condensed - and exactly the same formula with TES but again, still ALL him, and so is Encore and so is Relapse.

Recovery is the first Eminem album with true outside influence on his actual perspective, lyrics, concepts and production; up until that point - it was all him and his team, which includes Dre; they made pure hip-hop - good or bad, we got what Em wanted us to get.

Recovery is a good album but I don't think it's a coincidence he just happened to work with the hottest producers AND hottest guest stars at the time and of the last couple of years... and whilst Em himself could of course have chosen to do that... (and ultimately, he did... it's not like he HAD to do it) - seems like a suggestion to make a broader, more worldwide album...

Tarantino said what movie studios will do is, not force him to work with people but just be like... "is there any reason you don't wanna work with x, as he's hot right now' etc. - so I'd imagine somehow that, that's the kind of discussions the label may have had with Em like "okay, Relapse did okay but it dropped off quick and got a mixed reaction with mediocre hits... is there any reason you don't wanna work with... Wayne, get some of these hot new producers etc.?"

And then maybe Em thought "okay yeah fuck it, I'm in my late 30s, I could be out of touch and fuck this all up, leme see what happens"... I'm completely speculating of course but from what he's said and from what we know... this seems like the most likely reality to me...

Prior to this - he just basically got pressure to make another hit, but they didn't actually care about the rest of the album or his style or his producers etc. as it had all worked in a BIG way, up until Relapse.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Return to Shady Records