The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

HIPHOPDX reviews Trunk Muzik Returns

Everything related to the record label Shady Records, including Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf.

Re: HIPHOPDX reviews Trunk Muzik Returns

Postby Trimss » Apr 1st, '13, 22:48

Lol, deadendhiphop reviewed it too. And they said it's awesome.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » Apr 1st, '13, 22:49

Ignorant motherfuckers.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby PAINKILLƎR » Apr 1st, '13, 22:55

AbramIsaac wrote:Ignorant motherfuckers.
PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby Rattle1 » Apr 1st, '13, 23:37

Why are you mad ?
It's a negative review but hip hop dx gave solid arguments to back up their thoughts. I mean, this tape received generally positive reviews, is that a problem if some people think the tape was average ?

XXL gave TMR a XL !
Rattle1
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fury » Apr 2nd, '13, 02:45

Rattle1 wrote:Why are you mad ?
It's a negative review but hip hop dx gave solid arguments to back up their thoughts. I mean, this tape received generally positive reviews, is that a problem if some people think the tape was average ?

XXL gave TMR a XL !

The reasoning was poor.
Fury
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Francesco » Apr 2nd, '13, 13:26

Yelawolf is a true artist, and he should have room to experiment. But "Trunk Muzik Returns" essentially amounts to a missed opportunity.

I agree... Yela is a true artist indeed & he could have done better for sure considering his potential. This statement itself doesn't necessarily means TMR failed 'cuz it definitely didn't.
What it means is... It definitely won't splash like TM & it definitely won't make enough noise to make fans outside his core following appreciate it. Fair enough!

If the reviewer didn't make it sound like TMR was any kind of a fail & if he just added it was a very solid mixtape in general apart the good positive & negative points he made... I'd totally agree with him.
Esp. about the Paul Wall, Rae & Killer Mike part.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby TonyTilt » Apr 2nd, '13, 16:37

That was a poor review and SHIT thoughts to back it up.
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Rattle1 » Apr 2nd, '13, 17:08

Rattle1
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Chet Starr » Apr 2nd, '13, 17:17

Rattle1 wrote:themarshalltown gave it a 3/5 :facepalm
http://www.themarshalltown.com/zine/201 ... k-returns/

Trunk Muzik Returns strongest element is Wolf’s undeniable ability to rap.

how is that a bad review at all :unsure:
CSPRODUCTIONS918
#YellowChetTeam
Chet Starr
Role Model
Role Model

Postby AbramIsaac » Apr 2nd, '13, 21:17

To each their own, but to me, this was the best full-length project that Yelawolf has ever put out.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby TheGentlePlayer » Apr 3rd, '13, 14:07

Kinda agree
I wanted an album so rugged nobody could touch it.
Spent a million a track and went over my budget.
Now how in the fuck am I supposed to get out of debt?
I can't rap anymore, I just murdered the alphabet.
TheGentlePlayer
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Trimss » Apr 3rd, '13, 14:45

HipHopDX wrote:Yelawolf is a true artist, and he should have room to experiment. But "Trunk Muzik Returns" essentially amounts to a missed opportunity.

Yelawolf started from the bottom and sometime before the release of his major label debut, Radioactive, he was “here.” But where is the Alabama rapper now? With the release of his latest mixtape, Trunk Muzik Returns, he’s back to where he came from. And judging from both his new songs and appearance (grizzly facial hairs and concealing sunglasses), he’s content with never coming back.

Trunk Muzik Returns definitely ISN'T a missed opportuinity. Never coming back? This was an advanced come back to his roots. Like he came back to his real style, but executed it in a better way because he's more mature and skilled now.

HIPHOPDX wrote:Yelawolf put out two singles before dropping the mixtape, “Way Out” and “F.A.S.T. Ride.” On the surface, it’s signature Yelawolf doing what he does best, penning strangely delightful hooks to drive out to, backed by rapidfire bars. Getting WillPower behind the boards (on all the songs of this mixtape) was a solid choice as he complements the rapper extremely well. But when you take a second to listen to the lyrics, they’re empty and the rapper never really takes you anywhere.

Tenneessee Love is empty? Fame is empty? Rhyme Room is empty? Gangsta is empty? Hustle is empty? Fucking Catfish Billy is empty?

Are you kidding me? Half of the tracks are full of content and mature stuff, executed properly with some amazing beats and great flows. That's gotta be the dumbest shit ever wrote in a review.

HiphopDX wrote:There’s absolutely nothing wrong with riding a beat and rapping for the sake of the art, especially over great production. Lil Wayne did this on “A Milli” and threw in a bunch of half-assed metaphors that became quotables because they still sounded good. It’s not something everyone can pull off, and these songs are a good example of that. But Yelawolf can pull that stream-of-conscious thing off, and he did so on many of the original Trunk Muzik’s songs. It’s more than likely one of the reasons Eminem gave him a deal. Most importantly, it’s probably why Yela decided to dub this mixtape the “Return” to that sound. But rhymes like these will only have members of Slaughterhouse giving each other the side glance and leaving fans confused.

WHAT.THE.FUCK?

Hiphopdx wrote:Another common theme on this project is owning up to Radioactive, an album Yelawolf considers a failure. Every fan likes to hear a rapper open up and admit to music they’re not especially proud of. It humanizes the rapper and wins them back points (see: Noreaga talking about Melvin Flynt Da Hustler on “Invincible” or Canibus blaming Wyclef for spoiling his debut on “2000 B.C.”). But when Paul Wall sets you up to knock it out the park on some smooth shit for “Hustle,” you might want to follow suit. The same thing happens on “Rhyme Room.” Raekwon and Killer Mike hook him up with some cold, sly verses and Yelawolf follows suit for a bit and then the handkerchief comes out and he starts blabbering again. It’s a shame, because “Fame” sounds great but by the time fans get to it, it sounds like serial whining.

WHAT THE HELL? Are you motherfucking stupid? Raekwon's verse was boring and Yelawolf definitely had the best and most hard hitting verse on the song. His rhyming on it was great, but wait, is this guy hating on Yela because he's not "slow" enough?

I don't understand this reviewer. Damn. Fuck this review.
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » Apr 3rd, '13, 18:26

Yup.

It's so strange that this reviewer found TMR "empty" but didn't find the original Trunk Muzik empty at all. That makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Everything about this review is fucked.

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Trimss » Apr 3rd, '13, 18:34

AbramIsaac wrote:Yup.

It's so strange that this reviewer found TMR "empty" but didn't find the original Trunk Muzik empty at all. That makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Everything about this review is fucked.

Have you seen DeadEndHipHop's review?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O230RRPwRAQ
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » Apr 3rd, '13, 18:42

Nice.

I fucking hate HipHopDX so much right now. This review is piss-poor to the point of an obvious bias. This project is superior in just about every way to the original Trunk Muzik. Fucking...assholes.

That DEHH review is good. :y:

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Next

Return to Shady Records