The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Yelawolf - Pissin' in a barrel of beez

Everything related to the record label Shady Records, including Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf.

Re: Yelawolf - Pissin' in a barrel of beez

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 7th, '13, 05:51

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a Gangsta Grillz tape.

I didn't think it was very good, as Yelawolf doesn't fit the traditional mixtape format (to me anyway) and it was before he really found himself. There's some good stuff on there, it shows some of that early potential, but it's not something I would listen to. Creekwater was better to me, but that's more because of the potential shown, not the actual quality. Good stuff, just a little too rough around the edges.

Pissin' in a Barrel of Beez isn't talked about much because it's not that great, it isn't incredibly rare though. I would say that the reason it started getting more exposure over the last couple years is because that's when Yelawolf really started to garner a fanbase past the underground. 2011 was a great year for Yelawolf that just didn't end as well as it should have.

Ball of Flames: The Ballad of Slick E. Bobby was a little better, but suffered from some of the same problems in my opinion.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CanadaPure » Feb 7th, '13, 09:08

It's a Gangsta Grillz tape, it has "Gangsta Grillz" across the cover.
That was me in BK on Atlantic. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) BasedSig
CanadaPure
Cumlord Mila
Cumlord Mila

Postby TonyTilt » Feb 7th, '13, 22:26

CanadaPure wrote:It's a Gangsta Grillz tape, it has "Gangsta Grillz" across the cover.

Yeah it just confuses me, either Dj Drama was just on the come up or something because I thought they were just kind of for popular artists. Which he was not at the time.
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 7th, '13, 23:40

Well, the Gangsta Grillz brand took a little while to build.

Once upon a time, those tapes were pretty much only for artists in the South anyway. In 2005, I'm pretty sure they were still trying to expand the brand; there were like 16 or so different Gangsta Grillz tapes released that year. Before DJ Drama was *the* mixtape guy to go to, he was a DJ in the South that had a reputation for providing exposure to artists coming up.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby TonyTilt » Feb 8th, '13, 00:52

Interesting, learn something new every day!
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Previous

Return to Shady Records