The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Yelawolf XXL interview

Everything related to the record label Shady Records, including Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf.

Re: Yelawolf XXL interview

Postby EminemBase » Mar 14th, '13, 23:59

InsaneTRex94 wrote:
EminemBase wrote:
InsaneTRex94 wrote:Pretty sure most of Radioactive was made before Em came into the picture.

Nah Em was one of the ones who helped convinced him to do "Good Girl", that shows he was an active player in pushing compromises.

Are you sure that wasn't just a skit they decided to put on, sorta like something sarcastic? Or are you just being sarcastic? Not every skit needs to be taken seriously. Then again, it could be true. Whatever. It's just that people are always saying Em tells them to do them, I still find it hard to believe Em would push for such drastic compromise.

Nope I'm pretty sure I remember Yela specifically saying Em was one of the guys...

And even if not - even in doing that skit, Em's not stupid; he knows the score, he's advocating a broad and terrible compromise on the debut of one of his artists. That's bullshit.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby TonyTilt » Mar 15th, '13, 00:35

EminemBase wrote:
Radioactive was all over the place because fucking everybody that was involved with it. Other than that, my albums are pretty consistent, vibe-wise.

Music to my fucking ears. Yelawolf has done one of the greatest reverts to purity I've seen, and he's saying things that I've never heard other rappers say about consistency and concepts and production, that I always thought and always wished an artist would think too.

This stuck out to me as well, because everything he has done has been the same vibe wise besides Radioactive. Not because it was bad, it just felt somewhat off? This mixtape will be nothing short of amazing and it is going to shut up a lot of Yelawolf haters.
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Postby HeySamantha » Mar 15th, '13, 00:43

I'm personally not a fan of Yelawolf, but that's what happens when you get too many hands in the pot. It's a big clusterfuck of everything all at once. It doesn't work. Maybe he should have stuck with what he was used to and how he usually makes music. Seems like he knows that now, which can only be a good thing for him. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

This is also why I hope Eminem sticks to a few producers/collaborations with this new album. Keep it within a small group of people.
TRShady is shutting down, so we have moved.
Please join us at our new home!
http://www.HipHopShelter.com

HeySamantha
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Francesco » Mar 15th, '13, 01:55

Oh man that was bad... Yela shouldn't have said that. I'm really surprised. I'm not really sure now he will have another album on Shady/Interscope.
''Radioactive'' was all done before it got to EM. Yela said back then he called EM & when EM said ''What's up'' he said "Well I did my album.
Then EM just added shit & that was all. Plus Yela said it took a lotta persuading to get EM on ''Throw it up'' anyway.
I love Yela so I'm kind of disappointed he went so much ahead of himself. It's kinda pathetic when artists get too defensive & blame all to whoever else. I knew he was frustrated with Interscope cuz of the shit promotion, I get that... but like ''Me & WillWhoTheFuckIsHE are producing the album & then we'll sit & talk to EM & that's gonna be it'' Seriously? This is even disrespectful... like ''I am on Shady & the biggest rapper in the world is my boss but I'll go there & do my thang regardless cuz from there on they can mess up my album''.
His last EP was retail & couldn't even make top 200... ironically cuz EM wasn't part of it. The really annoying part is... the way he put it there means like he wants to be on Shady but only 'cuz wants to be on the fast moving wagon 'cuz apart that he wants to do everything on himself so his album won't get fucked by other people.
It's kinda modern now & way easier to just diss your last album that wasn't received well rather than go with it but still... ''I hate Radioactive''... Seriously? lol
Those people who went & supported Yela buying the album back when he ''loved'' it are gonna definitely be flattered now.
That was a step backwards in my opinion... if not worse than that. Fail!
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby AbramIsaac » Mar 15th, '13, 02:14

I see it differently.

I mean, he didn't say anything against Eminem. What he said was that the label influence (Interscope) impacted Radioactive negatively, quality-wise. He said that it wasn't a cohesive album, and the A&R's convinced him to do it a certain way, and then didn't support the album they asked for. That's a true statement, I think.

As far as the bit about WillPower producing all of it, I doubt it will actually only be WillPower. But on the Eminem part, he didn't disrespect him or say his taste was bad. He just said that he was going to have the album done with his own camp, and bring it to Eminem after it was completed. That's what happened with Radioactive too, but it was done with the input of Interscope as well.

He also is sure to mention that Love Story is an album "he and Marshall" are putting out. He wants people to know that Shady Records is behind him, and that Interscope is what negatively impacted his previous album. He was right too, because if you look at it from an outside perspective, he should have sold more. Instead, he matched his first week sales of Trunk Muzik 0-60, an album that was much less radio-friendly.

Also, he says he hates Radioactive because of what it almost did to his career. As far as the music goes, he just says that it was a little too scatter-brained, and there were some songs on there he wasn't comfortable with putting out. He did say there was some good music on there as well.

I agree that Interscope isn't going to like this though.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Francesco » Mar 15th, '13, 02:57

Honestly fans don't care when he goes at Intescope plus he already did that a few times now so it's all good 'cuz they did fuck up... promotion wise. I mean you're right they won't like it anyway though but I loved it when he went at them.

The rest is total bull... nobody from Interscope goes over EM if we talk about picking the songs for the albums, Dre & EM personally pick all the songs for theirs & their artists' albums & hand the albums to Interscope when they've cut what they don't want to be on it.

On top of it... he already said once Radioactive made everything for him 'cuz now (back then) he can buy whatever he wants to his son which he made sure was 'cuz of Eminem & the deal/album. Now he says Radioactive almost ruined it for him... Ruined what? Fuck that! This is double standards & I'm afraid EM will get offended. He has to be... he was offended by something way smaller Stat did back in the day. This producer didn't belong in a sentence in which Yela talks about his new album that suppose to be on Shady under Eminem. WTF? Elementary label ethics, keep that shit in house. Totally unprofessional.

I personally bought Radioactive twice, the first time while I was in America a little after it dropped & the second months after that while I was in Europe. I have to admit I've enjoyed it, haven't bumped it for a while now but I've definitely enjoyed it in general. I don't care if Yela HATES his album 'cuz of whatever reason, it is his own opinion. To me personally though what he said on this interview was disloyal, ungrateful & totally double standard so if he's getting on some Game ish I won't be buying his albums. I mean it could be a business strategy too, one I don't really understand but I ain't having it anyway. I know it's irrelevant & I'm not part of the big picture, that's just my humble opinion.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby AbramIsaac » Mar 15th, '13, 03:16

francesco wrote: The rest is total bull... nobody from Interscope goes over EM if we talk about picking the songs for the albums, Dre & EM personally pick all the songs for theirs & their artists' albums & hand the albums to Interscope when they've cut what they don't want to be on it.

That's true, but Radioactive was already done before signing to Shady Records. I mean, there were a couple more songs added to it, but Radioactive was an Interscope album before shifting over to Shady and then adding a couple songs to it.

I agree with what you're saying about Eminem not being forced to have Yelawolf put one song or another on the album though. I think if Yelawolf came to Eminem with a Trunk Muzik type of album, he would be fine with that too. I think Eminem gave Yelawolf confidence in songs that didn't necessarily work for him, because Eminem liked the songs regardless.

In the interview, he says a big part of the problem was allowing non-artists into the studio to decide what was going to be on it. That's true, and I know you agree with that. That's also a sure bet that he's not talking about Eminem, but rather the people at Interscope.

On top of it... he already said once Radioactive made everything for him 'cuz now (back then) he can buy whatever he wants to his son which he made sure was 'cuz of Eminem & the deal/album. Now he says Radioactive almost ruined it for him... Ruined what? Fuck that! This is double standards & I'm afraid EM will get offended. He has to be... he was offended by something way smaller Stat did back in the day. This producer didn't belong in a sentence in which Yela talks about his new album that suppose on Shady under Eminem. WTF? Elementary label ethics, keep that shit in house.

His deal definitely set him up, I think. What he's talking about almost being ruined was his perception from his fanbase. If you look at the reviews, Radioactive was received fairly well, and it did decent numbers when compared to 0-60. So, if he's not talking about critical reception, and he's not talking about money, then he must be talking about his fans.

There's nothing wrong with liking Radioactive. It's a decent collection of songs, but it was compromised, and a lot of fans saw that and felt disappointed. Yelawolf knows that, and I think that's what bothered him so much. He knows that his fans will support him as long as he keeps making music that is true to himself.

I don't think Eminem will get offended. It's possible, I agree. The point you brought up about the Stat Quo situation is a good one too, but I think Eminem is past that type of thing now. That was when he was still on pills, and I think he was self-conscious and easily offended. Now, he's more humble, and I think he realizes that even in this interview, Yelawolf always says something respectful of him.

On the production part, I don't think he meant that he didn't want Eminem beats on the album. I think he just meant that he's handling in-house. Since WillPower is the Ghet-O-Vision producer, it makes sense that he would produce all or most of it. I don't think that means that he doesn't trust Eminem's ear though, because he specifically said that it was going straight to Eminem when it was done. That means that he trusts his ear more than anyone else, and doesn't want someone else to get in the way of Eminem hearing it as Yelawolf thinks it should sound.

I personally bought Radioactive twice, the first time while I was in America a little after it dropped & the second months after that while I was in Europe. I have to admit I've enjoyed it, haven't bumped it for a while now but I've definitely enjoyed it in general. I don't care if Yela HATES his album 'cuz of whatever reason, it is his own opinion. To me personally though what he said on this interview was disloyal, ungrateful & totally double standard so if he's getting on some Game ish I won't be buying his albums. I mean it could be a business strategy too, one I don't really understand but I ain't having it anyway. I know it's irrelevant & I'm not part of the big picture but that's just my humble opinion.

You bought Radioactive twice because you're a loyal dude, and you appreciate what Shady Records does for the industry. Since the album wasn't bad, it makes sense that you liked it. I enjoyed it too. It isn't really a Yelawolf type of album though, he's capable of so much more. I honestly don't think he was coming across in an angry or disrespectful manner, because he only speaks highly of Eminem.

I get where you're coming from though. I think some time will show that this isn't what it might appear to be. Keep an eye out on the upcoming interviews, and I think you might agree that it's not like a Game or Stat Quo type of situation. :y:
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby flyingmonkey10 » Mar 15th, '13, 07:20

well love story is probably gonna be good, he probably fought for and got creative freedom with it, everything he's been dropping recently hasnt been whack

also this
whiteamerica2 wrote:yelawolf's attitude about all of this is so much better than slaughterhouse. i feel like slaughetrhouse is just going to do the same shit next album.

smh, i agree with the slaughterhouse part :shakehead:
How can hip-hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever?

Image ImageImageImageImage
flyingmonkey10
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Francesco » Mar 15th, '13, 08:49

@Abram
Abram homie, both of your posts responding to mine were well put & all the points you did were great as usual. I agree with you... esp. that Yela can do a lot more comparing to what he did on Radioactive.

Probably I either didn't make it look right or you got it wrong for whatever reason. I didn't mean Yela dissed EM on purpose or blamed him personally or that he even wanted to diss him. I know he didn't. I meant he got too defensive & over reacted & started to point fingers in all directions but his own which ironically went at EM's. Like even saying ''I hate Radioactive'' (apart from just been semi retarded & cheap after he has intitially been like ''Go buy my album, it's crazy'') definitely goes at EM 'çuz even if the album was done before it came to EM, he put the final touches & released it on his label as an exec. It's probably on that wall with the rest of the albums in the Shady Records office we saw a photo of the other day.
Plus all the rest of people he'd blame are either irrelevant or in Jimmy's case won't care at all about Yela's opinion so it really is on EM when he says that. Actually if it depended on Jimmy, Yela most likely would have been dropped by now, if not his conditions or whatever he puts out there wouldn't mean shit to Jimmy. Interscope is just the machine, the creative part weights on EM's shoulders.

Of course we all like his mixtape prior to the album better as we did that in SH's case as well so he just pointed out the obvious. Shady or any label that goes after numbers, have to make official albums marketable in today's standards which is kinda poppy. I mean more or less all albums gotta be compromised. So it's wrong if he's ok with Radioactive's commercial & critical reception but unhappy with the reaction of his core of fans about the album in general.
The thing is Yela first complained from Interscope about the promotion which I totally get, then he said they didn't give him enough singles & that's why the album suffered & now he says he hates the album overall 'cuz they fucked it up. I think he's way ahead of himself & unfortunately I expect that to backfire on him.

When EM dissed Encore & Relapse on his first Recovery single, he wasn't complaining from Interscope or whoever, or let alone Dre. He put it on himself so in this case it was both... a fair opinion & a great business strategy for his next album considering the last two weren't received well. If Yela tried to go there... I think he failed. If he thought him & that other dude should do this album on themselves first & then just let EM finish it, while in reality he'd be riding EM's huge wave... then I think that's a double standard for sure & most of it bad/biased self judgement.
I only hope he'll stop going ahead of himself but stay in his lane instead 'cuz if he keeps going that way he's gonna get dropped like a bad habit & this time it'd be fair for a change.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby TheGentlePlayer » Mar 15th, '13, 17:46

Love Story will only have beats from WillPower? Okey bye
I wanted an album so rugged nobody could touch it.
Spent a million a track and went over my budget.
Now how in the fuck am I supposed to get out of debt?
I can't rap anymore, I just murdered the alphabet.
TheGentlePlayer
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby cheeseburger » Mar 15th, '13, 18:06

Gentle

When working with Yela, WillPoer shits on any producer. The beat becomes one with Yelas style.
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
Theres no way you can save me
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby LEVITIKUZ » Mar 17th, '13, 20:34

Radioactive isn't completely bad. I love Write Your Name, Animal, Throw It Up, Let's Roll, Made In The USA, and Last Song. The album wasn't bad I just wanted more hip-hop collabs. Tech, SH, Kendrick, Game, Chamilionaire, Big Boi, Lupe, and many more where rumored to be on the album. What happened to them?
LEVITIKUZ wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:He would eat 2 steaks and still have room for a third. He went to a steak restaurant for his 40th birthday, remember?

No because Em didn't invite me.
LEVITIKUZ
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Trimss » Mar 17th, '13, 20:37

LEVITIKUZ wrote:Radioactive isn't completely bad. I love Write Your Name, Animal, Throw It Up, Let's Roll, Made In The USA, and Last Song. The album wasn't bad I just wanted more hip-hop collabs. Tech, SH, Kendrick, Game, Chamilionaire, Big Boi, Lupe, and many more where rumored to be on the album. What happened to them?

He's not really talking about the music, well that too, but more like about the whole project, studio sessions, marketing, promoting etc..

He hates the Radioactive era.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Previous

Return to Shady Records