The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

HIPHOPDX reviews Trunk Muzik Returns

Everything related to the record label Shady Records, including Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf.

Re: HIPHOPDX reviews Trunk Muzik Returns

Postby Francesco » Apr 5th, '13, 01:25

Fury wrote:We're talking about Trunk Muzik, what got him signed. That was not retail. And it didn't have as many downloads.
If Yelawolf sold Trunk Muzik Returns, there's no doubt in my mind that would outsell Trunk Muzik 060 pretty easily.
Yelawolf catered to the powers that be to go the single route. Lots of artists don't go for the hit till they've had a strong fanbase. And isn't Trunk Muzik Returns an indication that he's gone that way? Doesn't that defeat your argument? You just said that the singles didn't turn heads, well then, what is it? He's proven that he's not going for "hits" or "pop records", and he's followed through. So maybe you need to reassess what you're arguing.

Dude I wasn't trying to argue & I don't really get what you're saying cuz to me it feels like we're going in totally different directions with this discussion now... I mean I don't have a problem if you think this mixtape is better than Illmatic but you're obviously biased. I'll stop here 'cuz I do think only us the dedicated Yela fans care about this mixtape & it literally just came & went for the rest who even heard about it while for some reason you say that's normal or whatever. Anyway.. forget about it.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby Fury » Apr 5th, '13, 02:22

Biased about what? Is the mixtape Yelawolf's best work? Yes or no? That's all that mattes. Not some subjective making a splash bs.

I disagree that it came and went, btw.
Fury
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TRShitty » Apr 5th, '13, 10:20

Yeah, it turns out not everybody has boners for angsty white rappers. Who knew?
TRShitty
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Francesco » Apr 5th, '13, 10:41

Fury wrote:Biased about what? Is the mixtape Yelawolf's best work? Yes or no? That's all that mattes. Not some subjective making a splash bs.

Ridiculously biased about everything!
So ALL that matters is if that's Yelawolf's best work or not. :confusion:
That's pretty objective right there... way more objective than subjective bull about if the mixtape had an impact beyond a group of people who'd say it's a classic even before they heard it.

Fury wrote:I disagree that it came and went, btw.

Of course you do... you'll disagree with anybody who doesn't have Yela avatar & is not totally delusional about anything even when they are positive about the mixtape overall!
Like it isn't obvious if it wasn't for us the dedicated fans nobody would even mention the mixtape anymore.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Postby Trimss » Apr 5th, '13, 21:20

Francesco you're my buddy but I don't think you really understood what Trunk Muzik Returns was all about. I really don't think Yelawolf tried to gain new fans or to blow up with this project, in fact, it wasn't appealing to the mainstream at all.

What Yelawolf wanted to do with this project though, is to reconnect with his original fanbase before Radioactive fucked everything up. And everything after that is a bonus, and he definitely didn't fail at that.. Because more people downloaded this mixtape than any other Yelawolf mixtape.

Anyway, the reviewer is definitely down rating the quality of the album which is stupid.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » Apr 5th, '13, 21:34

TRShitty wrote:Yeah, it turns out not everybody has boners for angsty white rappers. Who knew?

Would you just shut the fuck up already? You're getting way too predictable. We get it, you think Yelawolf is an "angsty white rapper". You say that shit in just about every Yelawolf thread. Move on, please.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Fury » Apr 5th, '13, 22:01

francesco wrote:Ridiculously biased about everything!
So ALL that matters is if that's Yelawolf's best work or not. :confusion:
That's pretty objective right there... way more objective than subjective bull about if the mixtape had an impact beyond a group of people who'd say it's a classic even before they heard it.

I'm just gonna address this quote because your other point is a joke. Yes, that's all that matters to me. Whether not people feel like he blew up is irrelevant. I care if he puts out good music. He did. End of story. Everything else will take care of itself. Once you start compromising, wtf is the point? I want to hear what Yela thinks is good.

About this objective subjective stuff, I don't know in what way that pertains to this conversation. So you're objective because you agree with your point? Everything we're talking about is subjective.
Fury
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Francesco » Apr 6th, '13, 02:06

Trimss wrote:Francesco you're my buddy but I don't think you really understood what Trunk Muzik Returns was all about. I really don't think Yelawolf tried to gain new fans or to blow up with this project, in fact, it wasn't appealing to the mainstream at all.
What Yelawolf wanted to do with this project though, is to reconnect with his original fanbase before Radioactive fucked everything up. And everything after that is a bonus, and he definitely didn't fail at that.. Because more people downloaded this mixtape than any other Yelawolf mixtape.
Anyway, the reviewer is definitely down rating the quality of the album which is stupid.

Nah Trimsie, I got that & even agreed to it. I knew he did that on purpose... I mean most likely.
I said the reviewer downed the mixtape too, that's obvious. I do love Yela & I do love this mixtape overall.

What I mean is Yela is an artist on a major label who suppose to always upgrade his status like one... & I don't mean doing poppy songs or whatever at all. His mixtape definitely didn't fail at anything just that it'd be way better if it spread out better & people outside his core fans appreciated it. As I think of it Yela probably wanted F.A.S.T Ride or Way Out to mirror the way Pop the trunk was appreciated by both his core fans & the ones beyond that. I mean to me Pop the trunk defines him & his world & even though pretty hardcore it was still a blast all over the place. If he expected some of his new singles to go this way too, then it's a missed opportunity indeed... if he really didn't want that at all, then I'll go ahead with it too.

About the quality... I won't even bother to go into details 'cuz it's obvious it's a pretty solid mixtape all the way.
Francesco
Genius
Genius

Previous

Return to Shady Records