The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Do you think Slaughterhouse or Yelawolf

Everything related to the record label Shady Records, including Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf.

Will S/H or Yela will ever have a platinum album?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes : 14

Do you think Slaughterhouse or Yelawolf

Postby BlueberryWun » May 9th, '13, 14:52

Will ever have a platinum album like Obie and D12 did?

MURDER, MURDER YOUNG G STRAPPED WITH HIS BURNER BURNER
BlueberryWun
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Do you think Slaughterhouse or Yelawolf

Postby Trimss » May 9th, '13, 14:59

No. And 50 probably won't ever go platinum again either. Getting platinum records isn't as easy as it was before. Rick Ross is one of the biggest rapper out there, and one of the most popular but he doesn't even have a platinum album.

The only rappers that can reach platinum right (over a few weeks or even one week) now are Eminem, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z and Drake.
The ones that can eventually go platinum (over months) are Nicki Minaj (not anymore I think her popularity is decreasing), Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore.
Last edited by Trimss on May 9th, '13, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Trimss » May 9th, '13, 15:14

bigray wrote:Do you mean 1st week sales platinum or reaching platinum over time? I assume you mean over-time.

edit: What ever Trimss said is on point....not about Macklemore though.
-

I'm not sure myself either but he's still selling 40 000 and his singles are still selling..
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » May 9th, '13, 16:03

Tech N9ne is probably one of the most successful indie rappers ever, if not the most successful so far. If you're talking about album sales over the course of his discography, anyway. The other guys do really well, but I don't think they are eclipsing any other successful indie stable like Rhymesayers or Def Jux (RIP) as a whole. Of course, when you take touring into consideration, these guys really do more than just about anyone else in their bracket.

OT, I don't think Yelawolf nor Slaughterhouse will go platinum. It's much harder to do that now, and it would take something very big to make it happen for them. Obie Trice was positioned very well, with a high-powered production team and with Eminem supporting him at the peak of his success. D12 included Eminem, so they pretty much got a freebie there. Now, they probably wouldn't make it to platinum.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby BlueberryWun » May 9th, '13, 16:08

bigray wrote:Do you mean 1st week sales platinum or reaching platinum over time? I assume you mean over-time.

edit: What ever Trimss said is on point....not sure about Macklemore though.

Over time

BlueberryWun
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SoldierShady » May 9th, '13, 16:22

Nope. Considering I've NEVER heard played once on the radio. Not that I listen to that much radio anyway, but it's whatever. What was supposed/intended to be their breakthrough, huge, radio-friendly single (My Life) was a commercial flop. As was their album so....
Same for Yelawolf. Practically NO ONE knows who the hell he is....at least where I live and again, I've never heard him played on the radio aside from the Tim Westwood segment I guess. But that comes on UK radio at like 1am in the morning for one hour on Saturdays I think?
"So one last time, I'm back, 'fore it fades into black and it's all over, behold the final chapter in the saga, trying to recapture that lightning trapped in a bottle twice, the magic that started it all...tragic portrait of an artist tortured....trapped in his own drawings..." - Bruce.

SoldierShady
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AbramIsaac » May 9th, '13, 16:39

bigray wrote:
Tech N9ne is probably one of the most successful indie rappers ever, if not the most successful so far. If you're talking about album sales over the course of his discography, anyway.

I mean like over all in record sales, clothing items, concerts, tours etc.

Who did better in tours for 2012 FV or Strange music?

Oh, Strange Music, without much doubt. They did 90 shows in 99 days, it was a record breaking tour. Tech N9ne said they'll clear anywhere from 20k-40k in profit at most of the shows too, so...yeah. Funk Volume has a long way to go before they can compete with those numbers.
SoldierShady wrote:Nope. Considering I've NEVER heard played once on the radio. Not that I listen to that much radio anyway, but it's whatever. What was supposed/intended to be their breakthrough, huge, radio-friendly single (My Life) was a commercial flop. As was their album so....
Same for Yelawolf. Practically NO ONE knows who the hell he is....at least where I live and again, I've never heard him played on the radio aside from the Tim Westwood segment I guess. But that comes on UK radio at like 1am in the morning for one hour on Saturdays I think?

Well, even if their music didn't break through to the UK, they could go platinum in the US...but they won't, unfortunately. It's not impossible, but I really just don't think it'll happen.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Just Silver » May 9th, '13, 18:46

I doubt it but you never know with Yela
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby 12characters » May 9th, '13, 18:50

What's Radioactive at? Didn't it go Gold some time ago?
Golden God!Image
CanadaPure wrote:I'd fuck 12Characters
12characters
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Trimss » May 9th, '13, 18:51

Nah lol.. It sold like 180 000 albums
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Just Silver » May 9th, '13, 18:55

Yela needs to do a double album and focus on social media maybe work on choruses
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby BlueberryWun » May 9th, '13, 22:26

I can't see it ever happening

BlueberryWun
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Shady Records