The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Yelawolf talks Shadyxv, Eminem, Love Story

Everything related to the record label Shady Records, including Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf.

Yelawolf talks Shadyxv, Eminem, Love Story

Postby Slumerican » Nov 20th, '14, 21:28

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detr ... awolf.html

Yelawolf, born Michael Wayne Atha, is a 35-year-old rapper from Gadsden, Ala. (population 36,542 in 2013).

He currently lives in Nashville, but feels right at home in Detroit, often considered by locals a major metro area with a small town feel.

"Sometimes you just go to a city and think 'This is just a bigger version of where I'm from," Yelawolf said. "Detroit is that way."

This member of Eminem's Shady Records family will perform here on Dec. 6 at St. Andrew's Hall, has songs on the new Shady XV album coming out Nov. 24 and is getting positive reviews for his new single "Till It's Gone."

As the career opportunities keep coming for Yelawolf, he reminds himself to stay on firm ground and maintain the drive that got him this far.

"Giving up was never an option for me," said a man who reportedly was once homeless in Berkeley, Calif. "It was going to happen this way or another way."

What can fans expect at your next Detroit show compared to the one you had a few years back? You seem to be a guy with a variety of music taste who doesn't want to be labeled or put in some kind of box.

My shows are always a little different. Every time I perform, even if I'm doing the same song, it's always different. I'm bringing out some DJs and a buddy who plays guitar. We have some visual surprises, too. We stepped up the show compared to shows people saw before. For first timers, it's just a lot of fun. I just like to have fun at my shows and make sure everyone is having a good time. Performing is the best part of my job.

This way clearly has worked as Eminem and Shady Records have maintained their loyalty with Yelawolf since he was signed to a deal in 2011.

He released Radioactive in 2011 and had plans to drop a second Shady Records studio album called Love Story sometime in early 2015.

"It way, way different than the first album, said Yelawolf, who will release four singles and four videos before the Love Story release. "(The preparation for it with Eminem) has been lock the door, invite-only."

MLive.com caught up with Yelawolf to get his thoughts on a variety of topics, and the timing couldn't be better since he's involved with so much tied to Detroit.

Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Where do you think you would be career-wise if didn't get the support early on?

Giving up was never an option for me. It was either going to happen this way or another way, but it was going to happen. There’s too many places in the world for an artist — in these days especially — to live and have a career. There’s too many reasons not to give up. There’s so many different angles you can take in a career. There’s styles and different angles to get your music out and become who you want to become, so I just kept my head down and kept working, and I ended up where I ended up.

Your mixtapes seemed to really give you a boost with the public. What's your approach to them now that the music business is constantly changing?

I don’t take them lightly, that’s for sure. A mixtape for me is like … it’s like playtime. I don’t take them lightly, but at the same time rapping is just fun to me. It comes to me. When a beat is really driving and it inspires me to write, I’ll write a full record in an hour. It just really happens quickly. The reason I put out so much is because they get recorded pretty fast. I consider myself a pretty good A & R for myself.

I know how to do a beat and I know what works for me and my voice. All my projects start with titles — every one of them. So, for example, this project I was doing with DJ Paul was going to be called Black Fall and we knew we were going to do all heavy metal remixes. So then I just went ‘Ok, there’s the concept and all the titles.’ So that’s it with the cover of the books, and I thought ‘Now I just have to fill the pages.’

Here in Detroit fans not only know about your work with Eminem, but also with Kid Rock. What kind of influence has Kid Rock had on you knowing "Let's Roll" was as success?

Kid Rock is the OG. He’s the dude, man. He did it all first. He figured it out, man. The country/rock/hip hop dichotomy … he figured it out. I’m from Alabama so we have a lot of the same inspirations (music-wise). Some are from different eras, but a lot are from the same. I came up as a rapper, but I still love singing, rock and country — all this stuff. He figured it out, man. And I’m doing my thing with a very similar idea; it’s just my approach to the music. My approach is just a little different from his. I went to his house with Marshall one time and saw his studio and his collection of things at his warehouse.

I mean the dude owns the original General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard. He’s got the first Cadillac ever produced off a Detroit assembly line. I’m not saying this to throw Kid Rock’s money out there, I’m saying this to explain how cool it is. I mean he’s got a pair of Jam Master Jay turntables signed right next to a Johnny Cash guitar. So he knows what it is. I’m amazed. Waylon Jennings grandson and son are really good friends of mine and I told Kid Rock that and he’s like ‘Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I got Waylon’s golf cart.” He just one ups for every story. He’s got all the good stories.

Do you feel some kind of connection with Detroit since you've spent some time with Eminem, Kid Rock and others here working on music?

Yeah, man. Sometimes you go to a city and think ‘This is just a bigger version of where I’m from.’ Detroit is that way. I’m a fan of Marshall so when ‘8 Mile’ came out and he did that little freestyle ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ rap in the trailer park, that’s what it is (like where I’m from). You’re white rappers and you’re dealing with this (expletive). I think that’s one of the big reasons why Marshall understands what it is that I represent. It is a very similar atmosphere. Detroit is just enormous; that is a factory town.

What's the relationship been like with Eminem since he first started supporting you on the Shady Records label and how has that evolved?

I watch from afar, man. He basically turned himself into a superhero. I just watch, man. Marshall is who he is. We’re totally different in so many ways, but that makes it right. We’re the same in ways that makes it right, but we’re also totally different. It is a good collaboration, and this last album has been a real treat. We’re making it way, way different than the first album. It’s lock the door, invite-only.

What can you say about your Love Story album that's expected to come out early next year?

I recorded the majority of the album in Nashville, Tennessee where I live. And when I wrapped it up, I brought it up to Detroit and I worked on some records with Marshall in Detroit. So, yeah, he hasn’t been to Alabama with me yet. It’s like moving any army when you move him around.

What does it mean to you to have songs on this Shady XV album that's coming out next week and to have Eminem consider you another key member of the Shady Records roster?

It’s an honor, man. There’s nobody like him. And there never ever, ever will be again. To share the stage and to help me out, and to embrace me as a member is top shelf. There is no better feeling in the entire world than to have someone say ‘Yeah, I back this guy.’

What do you think about this "Detroit vs. Everybody" song on Shady XV and the whole movement behind it?

I’m going to do Alabama vs. Everybody (laughing). And it’s just going to be me and Lynard Skynard — that’s all. Me and Skynard vs. Everybody!

Are you serious?

I wish I had that kind of pull!
These rappers really think they got shit locked
But they gonna know about me when my album drops #LoveStory
Slumerican
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Re: Yelawolf talks Shadyxv, Eminem, Love Story

Postby PAINKILLƎR » Nov 20th, '14, 21:35

dope interview :y:
PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican