The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Greatest Voice of All-time ?

A place to discuss music other than hip-hop.

Re: Greatest Voice of All-time ?

Postby DƎRDYPK » Aug 8th, '11, 15:41

Imogen Heap :wub:

just for nowwwwwwwwww just for nowwwwwwwwwwww
just for nowwwwwwwwww just for nowwwwwwwwwwww
DƎRDYPK
Stanmilton
Stanmilton

Postby Sam. » Aug 8th, '11, 15:43

Enrique .

inb4hate/rage
[Rollefsen] - SajN retired, bitch got old, unlike Sams "ladies".
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Fa-Q » Aug 8th, '11, 20:05

Whitney in her prime....only voice to ever give me goose bumps :zipped:
Fa-Q
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Sekou » Aug 8th, '11, 20:09

Alicia Keys
Sekou
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BILI » Aug 8th, '11, 20:13

Marvin Gaye :coffee:
BILI
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby EyeSpick » Aug 8th, '11, 20:32

Bob Dylan
EminemBase wrote:Of course nothing is ever 100%, no questions asked absolute. We can't even prove we're not in fact living in a dream for example and aren't in fact the imaginations of some 'other selves' far far away. But that doesn't make the chances 50/50 like a fucking coin toss.
EyeSpick
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby NextEpisode » Aug 8th, '11, 23:42

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers of All-time:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... e-19691231

100 Mary J. Blige
99 Steven Tyler
98 Stevie Nicks
97 Joe Cocker
96 B.B. King
95 Patti LaBelle
94 Karen Carpenter
93 Annie Lennox
92 Morrissey
91 Levon Helm
90 The Everly Brothers
89 Solomon Burke
88 Willie Nelson
87 Don Henley
86 Art Garfunkel
85 Sam Moore
84 Darlene Love
83 Patti Smith
82 Tom Waits
81 John Lee Hooker
80 Frankie Valli
79 Mariah Carey
78 Sly Stone
77 Merle Haggard
76 Steve Perry
75 Iggy Pop
74 James Taylor
73 Dolly Parton
72 John Fogerty
71 Toots Hibbert
70 Gregg Allman
69 Ronnie Spector
68 Wilson Pickett
67 Jerry Lee Lewis
66 Thom Yorke
65 David Ruffin
64 Axl Rose
63 Dion
62 Lou Reed
61 Roger Daltrey
60 Björk
59 Rod Stewart
58 Christina Aguilera
57 Eric Bourdon
56 Mavis Staples
55 Paul Rodgers
54 Luther Vandross
53 Muddy Waters
52 Brian Wilson
51 Gladys Knight
50 Bonnie Raitt
49 Donny Hathaway
48 Buddy Holly
47 Jim Morrison
46 Patsy Cline
45 Kurt Cobain
44 Bobby “Blue” Bland
43 George Jones
42 Joni Mitchell
41 Chuck Berry
40 Curtis Mayfield
39 Jeff Buckley
38 Elton John
37 Neil Young
36 Bruce Springsteen
35 Dusty Sprinfield
34 Whitney Houston
33 Steve Winwood
32 Bono
31 Howlin’ Wolf
30 Prince
29 Nina Simone
28 Janis Joplin
27 Hank Williams
26 Jackie Wilson
25 Michael Jackson
24 Van Morrison
23 David Bowie
22 Etta James
21 Johnny Cash
20 Smokey Robinson
19 Bob Marley
18 Freddie Mercury
17 Tina Turner
16 Mick Jagger
15 Robert Plant
14 Al Green
13 Roy Orbison
12 Little Richard
11 Paul McCartney
10 James Brown
09 Stevie Wonder
08 Otis Redding
07 Bob Dylan
06 Marvin Gaye
05 John Lennon
04 Sam Cooke
03 Elvis Presley
02 Ray Charles
01 Aretha Franklin

------------
------------

Quite an "accurate" list I guess... (if that can be said about such a thing as subjective as music). It's all about taste in the end. I would've put Freddie Mercury much higher on this list. At least in Top 10.
NextEpisode
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NextEpisode » Aug 8th, '11, 23:46

My personal favourite, the person who...

- John Lennon said about: "Before X there was nothing, without X, the wouldn't have been the Beatles".

- Bob Dylan said about: “When I first heard X' voice, I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss...Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.”

- Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones' singer) said about: “He was a unique artist - an original in an area of imitators.”

- Elton John said about: "Ask anyone. If it hadn't been for X, I don't know where popular music would be. He was the one that started it all off, and he was definitely the start of it for me."

- Bruce Springsteen said about: “There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

- Celine Dion said about: "Greatest entertainer of all-time"

- James Brown said about: “I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. X was a hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at Graceland. We sang Old Blind Barnabus together, a gospel song. I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There’ll never be another like that soul brother."

- 50 Cent said about: "That period was different. When X was there, they were stopping everything. X had the moment for real. While I’m here, its not all about 50 Cent, but it was all about X.”

- President Jimmy Carter, his official statement following X' death in 1977: “X’s death deprives our country of a part of itself. He was unique, irreplaceable. More than twenty years ago, he burst upon the scene with an impact that was unprecedented and will probably never be equaled. His music and his personality, fusing the styles of white country and black rhythm and blues, permanently changed the face of American popular culture. His following was immense. And he was a symbol to people the world over of the vitality, rebelliousness and good humor of this country.”

- Robert Plant (singer of the super group Led Zeppelin) put it like this in the Rolling Stones article; "There is a difference between people who sing and those who take that voice to another, otherworldly place, who create a euphoria within themselves. It's transfiguration. I know about that. And having met Elvis Presley, I know he was a transformer."
NextEpisode
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EyeSpick » Aug 9th, '11, 01:53

Elvis was practically a pop star and had the status of Michael Jackson but that has nothing to do with his skill or singing ability.
EminemBase wrote:Of course nothing is ever 100%, no questions asked absolute. We can't even prove we're not in fact living in a dream for example and aren't in fact the imaginations of some 'other selves' far far away. But that doesn't make the chances 50/50 like a fucking coin toss.
EyeSpick
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Eedee » Aug 9th, '11, 11:26

Michael Jackson is up there. He had the voice of an angel... Really really beautiful to listen to.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby NextEpisode » Aug 9th, '11, 20:54

EyeSpick wrote:Elvis was practically a pop star and had the status of Michael Jackson but that has nothing to do with his skill or singing ability.

(i) Practically a pop star? I take it you know a lot about this guy?...

(ii) What are you trying to say? That Elvis didn't have a great singing ability?

(iii) It was Michael Jackson who - arguably - reached the status of Elvis Presley and The Beatles, not the other way around.
NextEpisode
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Trimss » Aug 9th, '11, 23:29

Christina Aguilera is one of my favorite voice of all time.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby EyeSpick » Aug 10th, '11, 00:21

NextEpisode wrote:
EyeSpick wrote:Elvis was practically a pop star and had the status of Michael Jackson but that has nothing to do with his skill or singing ability.

(ii) What are you trying to say? That Elvis didn't have a great singing ability?

(iii) It was Michael Jackson who - arguably - reached the status of Elvis Presley and The Beatles, not the other way around.

Really because I believe Michael Jackson is the highest selling artist of all time and The Beatles didn't get famous based upon dance moves and sex appeal.
EyeSpick
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby NextEpisode » Aug 10th, '11, 00:51

EyeSpick wrote:
NextEpisode wrote:

Really because I believe Michael Jackson is the highest selling artist of all time and The Beatles didn't get famous based upon dance moves and sex appeal.

(i) Greater record sales = Greater singer? No, no and no... (Check out Justin Bieber, he was in the Top 5 when it comes to global record sales last year... Was he among the top 5 greatest singers last year according to you?)

(ii) And... you've got it wrong. Michael Jackson is not the best-selling artist of all-time. He is in the top 3, though, behind - only - the Beatles (#1) and Elvis Presley (#2) (Elvis has sold most Singles and EPs, whilst the Beatles has sold most albums).

(iii) Elvis got famous because of his dance moves? (No, but of course, a great stage presence definitely helped him). But hey (!), how about that moondance, Michael Jackson... (hrrm...!). And... The Beatles... Take and read some about The British Invasion in the 60s… do you think the girls in the crowd screamed because they were hurt?...

Just to point out, I have nothing against MJ, he’s a great, great artist, and I enjoy listening to his music… And I own all of his studio albums. I bet you've - at maximum - heard maybe a dozen of Elvis' songs... He recorded over 700, FYI.

And... what genre is Elvis Presley? Rock, R&B, Soul, Blues, Gospel, Country etc.. etc... He is - actually - the only artist to be inducted to ALL of the 3 major Hall of Fames (Rock and Roll, Country and Gospel.).
NextEpisode
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EyeSpick » Aug 10th, '11, 03:00

(i) Greater record sales = Greater singer?

Strawman

Albums>>>Singles

Elvis was a great entertainer, wrote catchy songs, popular as hell, but when it comes to "Greatest voice of all-time" he's not a front runner.
EyeSpick
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Next

Return to General Music