The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Vinyl

A place to discuss music other than hip-hop.

Vinyl

Postby Slimm » Feb 9th, '12, 19:29

Anyone here into vinyl? I just bought a Dual 510 pick-up and an Onkyo A-7. Already bought some a couple of LP's and now I'm addicted. I like the feel and look of LP's, way more than I like CD's.
w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l ic
Slimm
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: Vinyl

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 9th, '12, 20:18

I have a Stanton table.

Straight-arm, not optimal for listening but I originally got it for scratching. That has yet to work out for me. Plays vinyl well enough though.

Vinyl is a beautiful format, much more personal, for some reason. I'm planning on picking up The Moon and Antarctica on vinyl soon.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Slimm » Feb 9th, '12, 20:46

AbramIsaac wrote:I have a Stanton table.

Straight-arm, not optimal for listening but I originally got it for scratching. That has yet to work out for me. Plays vinyl well enough though.

Vinyl is a beautiful format, much more personal, for some reason. I'm planning on picking up The Moon and Antarctica on vinyl soon.

I agree, and it's just a great feeling to have albums that are special to you on Vinyl. I wouldn't care about having them on CD, but Vinyl is different for some reason.

I just ordered two Godspeed You! Black Emperor LP's. Already have 'Nah und Fern' from GAS in a collectors edition, a WU LYF LP and a WU LYF EP.
w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l ic
Slimm
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Slim Fiasco » Feb 9th, '12, 21:08

I fucking love vinyl, it definitely feels a lot better than CDs. Now I don't have where to play them, but I do buy some of my favorite LPs every now and then. And it's not even about the songs, I already have them, it's the artwork and the whole vibe that vinyls give. I do plan to buy some player soon, though. Do you guys know the average prices? And I don't need anything for scratching, just a regular player. And it'd be cool if you tell me how the sound works, like do I need to connect it with some sound system, or does it have a "speaker" on its own?

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Slimm » Feb 9th, '12, 21:29

I love the artwork as well. And of course, the sound is arguably better (this depends on a lot of factors though). I got mine for 50 euro's from a website similar to E-bay. A friend of mine has a a real great one from a second-hand shop, costed him around 15 bucks. I would recommend checking out a second-hand shop first, and just research the player they got over there. Make sure the needle is still intact etc.

Some have speakers of their own, these tend to be of a lower quality though. It's best to hook it up to an electronic amplifier that you should then connect to your speakers. There are also players that have an USB entrance.

In the end you can always get better systems but that's going to cost you. Just find something reasonable for your budget and don't be afraid to buy second hand gear.
Slimm
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Slim Fiasco » Feb 10th, '12, 09:20

Slimm wrote:I love the artwork as well. And of course, the sound is arguably better (this depends on a lot of factors though). I got mine for 50 euro's from a website similar to E-bay. A friend of mine has a a real great one from a second-hand shop, costed him around 15 bucks. I would recommend checking out a second-hand shop first, and just research the player they got over there. Make sure the needle is still intact etc.

Some have speakers of their own, these tend to be of a lower quality though. It's best to hook it up to an electronic amplifier that you should then connect to your speakers. There are also players that have an USB entrance.

In the end you can always get better systems but that's going to cost you. Just find something reasonable for your budget and don't be afraid to buy second hand gear.

Alright man, thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind.

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Slim Fiasco » Feb 10th, '12, 14:15

I just went to pick up my Illmatic copy from the mail, and man the ish is much better than the CD, lol. Everybody reading this should go and get some vinyl for themselves, because trust me, it's worth it.

Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Slimm » Feb 10th, '12, 16:15

Awesome man. Illmatic is a nice one to have! Just took a picture of me playing my Wu Lyf LP

Slimm
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Slim Fiasco » Feb 10th, '12, 17:39

Slimm wrote:Awesome man. Illmatic is a nice one to have! Just took a picture of me playing my Wu Lyf LP

Thanks man, and that looks dope! I definitely need to get one of those :D . And one more question about the sound, should I be able to connect it with my DVD player? It has a great sound system, and the the audio signal is standard so if a special connector isn't required, that would be perfect.

Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby lifeadeath » Jun 8th, '12, 08:06

Vinyls rock. They are much more fun to listen to than on computer or CD. Don't have so much myself yet but definitely getting more. Plus you can't even find some older music on CD or internet easily. Nothing better than go through some old records and find some amazing albums.

Old vinyls <3
Life and Death Productions | Beat Store

P.S, Life and Death, are you god?
lifeadeath
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Emadyville » Jun 10th, '12, 04:51

I love vinlys in that they're old school and obviously bigger.

I have a bunch of em singles from europe when I was over there in vinyl and i love em
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby mdemaz » Jun 10th, '12, 05:38

I remember back in the early 90s when vinyl's sound quality was epic.
Like, stereo and all that, straight from the original master tapes.

Now, most CD reissues of old shit sounds like crap, or, it's not loud enough.
The only problem with vinyl is the lack of treble.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Return to General Music