The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

LedZep to release alt Stairway To Heaven after 43 years

A place to discuss music other than hip-hop.

LedZep to release alt Stairway To Heaven after 43 years

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 30th, '14, 00:00

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 35717.html

An alternative version of Led Zeppelin’s epic "Stairway To Heaven", never before released, will appear on the latest batch of reissues overseen by guitarist Jimmy Page.

An alternate version of the 8-minute 1971 track, famous for its acoustic guitar intro, much emulated by wannabe Pages in guitar shops across the world, will appear on the October re-release of an expanded version of the band’s album, Led Zeppelin IV.

A statement issued by Atlantic, the band’s record label, said the re-mastered version of the album will feature “the fabled, alternate version Stairway To Heaven, mixed at the Sunset Sound Studio in Los Angeles which lets fans hear one of the most revered songs of all time as they have never heard it before.”

Page, who rescued the mix from the vaults, declined to give further details of the new version. It is expected to shed light on the development of the multi-part song, which is now the subject of a copyright infringement lawsuit by the estate of the late Randy California, who argues that the instrumental opening is borrowed from his band Spirit’s song Taurus.

The lawsuit seeks a writing credit and a share in future "Stairway To Heaven" royalties, from sales of the Led Zeppelin IV reissue. The track, subsequently released as a single, is believed to have earned $550m in royalties so far.

Andy Johns, the engineer on the album, who died last year, had said that the LA mixes proved unsatisfactory. “It all sounded great at Sunset but the only mix that got used was When The Levee Breaks. We did this playback at Olympic Studios in London…the first song goes by and it doesn't sound very good at all. Jimmy and I are sitting on the floor with heads in our hands going 'What the hell is this?' Then we played the next one and the next one… and it all sounded 'orrible.”

As well as containing alternative version of classic Zeppelin tracks including "Rock And Roll", "Black Dog" and "When The Levee Breaks", the re-release includes unheard mixes of "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Four Sticks" and a version of "Going To California" heavy with guitar and mandolin.

The untitled studio album, referred to as Led Zeppelin IV, became a rock landmark, selling 37 million copies.

The 1973 album House of the Holy gets a similar treatment with seven unreleased tracks on the companion audio disc including rough mixes for "The Ocean" and "Dancing Days" and a different backing track for "Over The Hills And Far Away".

Re-releases of Led Zeppelin’s first three albums in June debuted in the top 10 of the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart. The bonus content included an unheard version of "Whole Lotta Love" which revealed a skeletal take on the band’s signature song without its subsequent overdubs.

Damn
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: LedZep to release alt Stairway To Heaven after 43 years

Postby shadyblogger » Jul 30th, '14, 00:13

Wow man. This should be interesting.
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby mdemaz » Jul 30th, '14, 03:54

HOLY FUCK
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Supershade » Jul 30th, '14, 03:58

Love that song
Cause I can’t explain to y’all how dang exhausted my legs felt, just having to balance my dang self but on eggshells I was made to walk but thank you, ma, ‘cause that gave me the strength to cause Shady-mania
Supershade
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Shpongle » Jul 30th, '14, 10:01

Even though i'm not that big of a fan of Led Zeppelin, i do love Stairway To Heaven :worship:
Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Return to General Music