The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Track By Track Review: Recovery. By Guilty and ladelsofgravy

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

Re: Track By Track Review: Recovery.

Postby Drax207 » Aug 29th, '13, 15:01

guiltyhiphop wrote:25 To Life

I'm still really confused over the meaning of this song, I think it's about Kim but I'm not really sure.
Great song though.

It's not about Kim but about Hip-Hop itself. But he talks about it like it's a girl he's on relationship with.

And which bonus track are you talking about ? Ridaz or Session One ? :happy:
My Music Box, #1 Em song              <Insert Insult Here>            #Slumerican

Mr. Porter wrote:
csw621 wrote:
Mr. Porter wrote:I also thought he sounded off-beat.

Porter plz, don't you have a youtube awards performance to fuck up

As a matter of fact I do. Thanks for reminding me.
Drax207
Soldier
Soldier

Postby pomp4434 » Aug 29th, '13, 16:14

oddly enough, maybe just the way of preference. But i find Seduction to be BY FAR my favorite song on the album and it always has been
pomp4434
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Mathers » Aug 29th, '13, 16:34

pomp4434 wrote:oddly enough, maybe just the way of preference. But i find Seduction to be BY FAR my favorite song on the album and it always has been

:y:
Fuck top five, bitch, I'm top four
And that includes Biggie and Pac, whore
And I got an Evil Twin
So who the fuck do you think that third and that fourth spot's for?
Mathers
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby ladelsofgravy » Aug 29th, '13, 18:55

IMO

Cold Wind Blows - A strong intro, bringing back many of his old personas, displaying his passion and vulgarity. By no means a masterpeice, but a fun song. 4/5

Talkin'2 Myself - One of the best songs on the album, full of passion, and I think this instrumental/hook despite being radio-friendly is strong. I do like his brutal honesty on this one, and it's much appreciated. 5/5

On Fire - His flow is on point, but as he said, it's just 2 verses glued to a bullshit hook. Mixtape material, but waste of a space for the album. 3/5

Won't Back Down - Perhaps the stereotypical Recovery-era song that all his other ones are compared to. Stadium-rock beat, incessant shouting, pop icon featured on the hook, and monotonous tone. Check. 2/5

W.T.P - I liked the instrumental and his flow was great, but it didn't quite come together so elegantly. It's not fun to listen to and there's nothing grand or meaningful about it. Nonetheless, a decent white trash anthem. 2/5

Going Through Changes - The high point on this album for sure, each verse introspective on a different matter of his life. Fitting instrumental, hook, and all the lyrics fit. 5/5

Not Afraid - Certainly has it's share of corny lines and cliches, but in the end, it still is a great song that's an excellent anthem for confidence and sobriety 4/5

Seduction - Reading this by transcript alone, the lyrics aren't impressive. But, this is one of the best flows on the album no doubt, and I do like the instrumental. 4/5

No Love - Wayne's verse is good, no doubt, but Eminem's verse is one of the best he's had since his hiatus. 5/5

Space Bound - I really enjoyed this song. Even if some of the rhyming was forced, the chorus was good, and the mood was there even when the lyrics weren't. 4/5

Cinderella Man - I don't like the hook at all, and I'm not a fan of the beat. But Em is certainly on-point lyrically. 3/5

25 To Life - Despite being a meaningful song, the flow feels very disjointed. Weak instrumental. Despite personifying his career, the storytelling here is just not up to par with his other work. 2/5

So Bad - Relapse-era production is appreciated. Hook could've been improved, but his flow is strong and the song was entertaining. 4/5

Almost Famous - Much of the lyrics of this song are stupid and really aren't relevant, but nonetheless, the flow is flawless and it totally evokes the right emotion in the listener. 4/5

Love The Way You Lie - Yes, this is the song hipsters love to hate. Lyrics, despite a few weak rhymes, display a very matured view of dysfunctional relationships. Rihanna was a strong choice for the hook. 4/5

You're Never Over - I wanted to score this high by his dedication alone, but the instrumental is not fitting, the flow is off and many weak lines ruin the mood. Still good though.3/5

Bonus Track - It had some interesting clever rhymes among god awful ones, but it was a waste of space and this song was more fit for a mixtape than an album. 2/5
TES > MMLP > MMLP2 > SSLP > Rec = Rel > Enc
ladelsofgravy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Track By Track Review: Recovery. By Guilty and ladelsofg

Postby s0258736 » Aug 31st, '13, 13:12

Cold Wind Blows - 3/5 - Good song, but I don't feel like it fits with the theme of the album.

Talkin' 2 Myself - 4/5 - Very good song, I really like the honesty.

On Fire - 3/5 - Filler song, doesn't really add to the album.

Won't Back Down - 2/5 - This song is a mess. Too much screaming and the beat is not the greatest.

WTP - 2/5 - Okay beat, but again this song doesn't add anything to the album.

Going Through Changes - 4/5 - Very good.

Not Afraid - 5/5 - One of my favourites. Although there are some corny lines, this songs really inspires me.

Seduction - 4/5 - Another excellent song. Eminem has a very good flow on this song.

No Love - 4/5 - I really like Em's verse and the hook, but while LIl Wayne is better than he usually is, I still think he is subpar.

Space Bound - 5/5 - I really like the emotion on this song.

Cinderella Man - 4/5 - Very good song, but the hook is strange and I don't like it very much.

25 to Life - 5/5 - Probably my favourite song on the album. The lyrics, the flow, the passion and the beat are awesome.

So Bad - 4/5 - Very good song. The beat is excellent.

Almost Famous - 5/5 - His delivery is this song is perfect for me. Great song.

Love the Way You Lie - 5/5 - Very deep and emotional song. Rihanna was a very good choice for the chorus.

You're Never Over - 1/5 - Not to be disrespectful, but I don't like this song at all.

Untitled - 2/5 - Totally unnecessary addition to the album and it doesn't belong.

Overall score: 3.6/5 - If Eminem would have removed a couple of songs (Won't Back Down, Untitled, WTP) and reworked You're Never Over I think this album could have been much better. Overall, a good but not great album from Eminem in my opinion.
s0258736
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Snakebeast » Aug 31st, '13, 14:48

Original Album:

Cold Wind Blows:
Great song. Just pure fucking energy on a track with a great hook (one of the few on this album). Fantastic opener. However, some of the lines annoy me a bit ie.

Fuck it a sick duck, I want my duck sicked, mommy
And my nuts licked, gobble them up trick, yummy
Bitch you don't fucking think I know that you suck dick, dummy?

4/5

Talkin' 2 Myself:
I despise the hook and the production. It feels like a very honest track, though I felt like Em went overboard with the Wayne and Kanye lines. Flow is great. Did not like the yelling. At all. Hated it on first listen, but now, I kind of like it. Maybe. Ish.

3.5/5

On Fire:
THIS is what I'm fucking talking about :worship: sick rhyming, awesome flow, and some rather nasty yet kind of comedic imagery (the "gizzard" line). Fantastic track. Em even has the audacity to throw in a shit hook then make fun of himself in the line after i. Fucking A.

5/5

Won't Back Down:
This is where things begin to fall apart a bit. This shit of a track shouldn't be on Recovery, or fucking anywhere near an Em album. It is basically a giant mass of corny puns and random punchlines mashed together and separated by a rather boring hook from P!nk. The only upside is that the yelling actually works, due to the loud ass instrumental. Shit song. Still sounds awesome live.

1/5

W.T.P.:
The epitome of a filler track. However, despite its rather shallow content, Em sounds more natural here than anywhere else on the album. Love the hook and the bridge, hate the instrumental. Flows great. Not a good track, though.

2.5/5

Going Through Changes:
And, just like Em went from fantastic to shit in a second, Em goes from shit to fantastic. I love this track. Once again, Em forgoes the goddamn yelling for some awesome storytelling that actually had me in tears (especially the Hailie part). Great Ozzie sample. This track is just....perfect.

5/5

Not Afraid:
And back to shit. Was Em going for a "schizo" feel when picking out what order the songs would go in? While Going Through Changes segways perfectly into a song like this, this song was still, and is still, shit. With a capital S and an exclamation mark. Shit! The only good thing about this song is the hook and the triumphant vibe it gives off, as well as the video. And the hook isn't even that good. First two verses were TERRIBLE, with Em confidently yelling out "QUIT PLAYIN WIT DA SCISSORS AND SHIT, AND CUT DA CRAP" and the third verse was meh at best. Fuck this shit.

2/5

Seduction:
I like this song. While I'm fairly sure that Eminem is not talking about Wayne in this song, I think he's implying that this song is about rap in general, and how he's simply better than any rapper in the game.
His experimenting with different flows on this was nice, as well as his delivery. Good song.

3.5/5

No Love:
There is one saving grace to this song, and that is Em's verse, which was absolute fucking fire. Other than that, bleh. Hook is too long, beat is retarded, Wayne's verse is actually good......for him, meaning it's meh at best.

3/5

Space Bound:
I fucking love this track. The rhyming in the first verse was awesome and his flow and delivery were on point. This is what a love song from Em should fucking sound like.

4.5/5

Cinderella Man:
We're back to bad again. I don't absolutely despise this track like WBD, but I definitely dislike it. More yelling. I fucking know that it's a stadium track, but my question is why the fuck is there another one of these in the FIRST PLACE? Also, Em apparently forgot how to rhyme. Anyways, don't like the song. That fucking steak line.....

2/5

25 to Life:
Conflicted about this song. On one hand, I like the song concept a lot. On the other hand, the production is garbage, the hook is okay at best, and Em is YELLING AGAIN THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE SONG FOR NO REASON. You know what, fuck it. I don't like this song.

2.5/5

So Bad:
Not bad. Content is pretty obvious and rather basic, but Em executes his lines quite well, and the rhyming is quite natural. Hook is fantastic, instrumental is good.

3.5/5

Almost Famous:
Just when I thought I was through with listening to the album, Em smashes my fucking eardrums with this. And I mean that in a good way. An awesome way. Because this song is fucking crazy as shit and awesome as fuck. THIS is the Em banger I wanted.

5/5

Love the Way You Lie:
The instrumental is one of the worst on the album. Rihanna's hook is actually quite good, but Em's verses aren't the greatest. His verse on part 2 shits on all three on this song.

2.5/5

You're Never Over:
MY FUCKING EARS!! GRATING MY FUCKING EARS!! LIKE NAILS ON A GODDAMN CHALKBOARD!!

1.5/5

Untitled:
Em's flow and delivery is just fucking godly. Production is awesome, and the hook at least sounds different from the generic poppy hooks we got from the other female singers on this album. This is Slim Shady shit right here.

5/5

Bonus Tracks:

Ridaz:
WHY WAS THIS NOT ON THE ALBUM? The rhyming and pure fucking imagery bombarded onto my ears was insane. His flow was fantastic, and I love the beat. The hook is a little meh, but it definitely doesn't bring this song down.

4.5/5

Session One:
Once again, I have to question WHY THIS SONG WAS NOT ON THE ALBUM. Em's verse is fucking awesome; his yelling actually compliments the beat, and he's accompanied by Slaughterhouse (save Joe Budden) every member of which ripped this track apart.

4.5/5

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)
Snakebeast
Renegade
Renegade

Postby superman11 » Aug 31st, '13, 19:14

I'll do a review later on, but when is Em going to learn to put some bonus tracks on his albums, every album there is like 2 or 3 duds and the 2-3 bonus tracks are sick.

EDIT: Here's Mine

Cold WInd Blows.

Love It. Classic Slim, one of the bright spots on this album and perfect way to start the album off. From hook to production to lyrics, awesome.

4.5/5

Talkin To Myself.

Most people hate this song, but I get it. Sometimes Em cant just always be Slim and make songs that everyone will love. He made this for a reason, he had to get shit off his chest. Could be a little better, production showing its weak side starting with this track.

3/5

On Fire.

I do love it, but this doesnt feel like a full album track. Untitled could have replaced it. I do enjoy it though, more vintage Em on a sick beat. The verses make up for it though, towards the top for me on Recovery.

4/5

Wont Back Down.

Why? Just Why? How did this even make the cut. Not even bonus track worthy.

1/5

W.T.P.

One of those funny tracks that make every Em album. Love the lyrics and flow. Silly hook but still enjoyable.

3.5/5

Goin Through Changes.

Best song on the album, and one of my overall favorites. The lyrics, content, delivery, sample and instrumental. Instant classic.

5/5

Not Afraid.

Don't dislike it as much as most. Another one of those songs where I get it. First single worthy? Nah. But I get it, he was going through shit, needed one of these to get out there. If it wasnt single, I don't think it'd be hated as much.

3.5/5

Seduction.

I go back and forth on this one. I like parts of it, but I don't think this would have made the cut if he worked on the album a little longer. So Bad's little brother for me.

3/5

No Love.

Bad production, meh chorus, Lil Wayne. Em's verse is great though. But 3 downsides make this meh for me, could have been a bonus.

3/5

Space Bound.

I enjoy it more than most. Chorus is beyond corny, but I enjoy the production and Em does it justice.

3.5/5

Cinderella Man.

Why does this get hate? I love this song. It's not perfect, but its one of those Em anthems that I can't get enough of. Shouting on this song makes sense, no complaints here.

4/5

25 to Life.

Not a stand out track, but I love the meaning behind it and actually enjoy the sampled hook.

3.5/5

So Bad.

Love this. Reminds me of Superman. His sarcastic hoe bashing is at its best here. Classic production as well.

4/5

Almost Famous.

Classic. Number 2 for me. It's just one of those Em songs that you have to list up high. Haven't heard one person ever complain about this song. Lyrics and production all on point.

5/5

Love The Way You Lie

Well written song. Rhianna is meh for an Em album.

2.5/5

You're Never Over.

Has its corny moments, and Em singing is hard on the ears at some points. But I respect it, its a tribute song. Not album worthy IMO though.

3/5

BONUS TRACKS:

Untitled.

Why wasn't this on the album. Classic Em beat and Slim flow/lyrics. 3 versus between a bullshit hook, better than two, lol. Would have been a perfect way to end the album.

4.5/5

Ridaz.

I actually didnt hear this one until a year after Recovery. No clue how I missed it. Love the delivery and lyrics. Feels unmastered for some reason. The hook holds it back, woulda fit on Relapse though. Could go either way on whether or not it was on the album.

4/5

Session One.

Love SH. Em kills it for sure, and the production. :y: Could have made the cut over WBD and YNO.

4/5

Recovery.

I get it. A stepping stone, a point he had to make. It will be more respected and enjoyed as it ages and when he's done. Doesn't have that replay value as much for me, production is overall weak and has some songs that are horrendous. But I think it's going to be a stepping stone to one of his best albums.

4/5
Last edited by superman11 on Aug 31st, '13, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
superman11
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ladelsofgravy » Aug 31st, '13, 19:19

session one wasn't album worthy imo, but ridaz could have at least replaced the forgettable bonus track
ladelsofgravy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Satan » Aug 31st, '13, 19:29

Session One was the most obvious song that would've been on Relapse 2, right down to Eminem using the Deja Vu voice and talking about relapsing.
I'm not a faggot, I enjoy vagina.
Satan
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ladelsofgravy » Aug 31st, '13, 19:35

I think everyone underperformed in Session One, especially Royce.
ladelsofgravy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to Shady Reviews