The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Jimmy Conway MMLP2 Review

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

Jimmy Conway MMLP2 Review

Postby Jimmy Conway » Oct 31st, '13, 14:34

The moment you guys have been waiting for is finally here. I am giving my review of Marshal Mathers latest effort the MMLP2. I have been a Eminem fan since he made his mainstream debut in 1999. I've also been a fan of hip hop in general for just about as long. Em set the bar high for himself by taking on the MMLP name. Let's see how he did. This will be rating on a 1-5 basis.

1. Bad Guy - Em begins his attempt at a return to glory with a powerful 7:14 minute intro to his album. Em has been plagued with poor production post Recovery. He wanted to get away from the safety that Dr Dre has always brought. A risky, but brave moved that allows him to attempt to grow. Unfortunately that hasn't worked well in the past. With this track the beat is a breathe of fresh air. It is very clean, pleasant sound. I've always thought the more Em on a track the better, and still do, but Sarah Jaffe compliments this song well. He has a nice flow throughout the song and decent lyrics. Including lyrics about Stan's brother taking Em for a death ride is a real Stan's dream come true. I enjoyed it and the desperado reference was especially pleasing to me, since it's one of my favorite old em non album verses. Then, the song goes to another level. A new beat, a dark, smooth and meaningful beat comes in as regret and passion flow through Em's voice. An insight at how many demons Em still has brought on by a life that we desperately, obsessively follow.
Final rating 5/5. I put out 5's very rarely. But the pain, passion and dedication in the songs demands nothing less.

2. Parking Lot (Skit) - The lone skit on the album is well made. I've never been huge on skits. While enjoyable and able to help paint a picture into the album or next track, I've never been big on them. Taking from the mid song skit on Criminal, it is well done. In this skit, Dre leaves Em at the bank on his own( probably because he killed the bank teller against Dre's advice). It's exciting and Em's laugh after shooting the dog (This puppy's lucky I didn't blast his ass yet") reminds me of a older Eminem. 5/5 skit.

3. Rhyme or Reason- He samples the Zombies time of season. A very risky move just because of the type of sound it brings. It works, just as not as well as you would like. Em's flow on the album leaves you wanting more. His lyrics has some high points, but a lot of waiting for something to happen. I'm giving it a 3, but part of me feels that's a little generous. I'll leave it like that, though I'm not sure I'll agree with this when I update for the bonus tracks.
3.5/5

4. So Much Better- Excellent beat, as most of the album has been so far. Eminem still doesn't like women. "I've got 99 problems and a bitch ain't one, she's all 99 I need a Ma chine gun" You can tell the effort that has been put into all these songs, even the ones that aren't working 100% you have to admire that you know he lost sleep over them. He did the chrous well and it's a good song. Nothing amazing, but it works.
3/5

5. Survival- Cod song that is pretty decent. It has some really high points and some filler points. This is a high octane song that's supposed to make you want to go blow stuff up. So it did what it was supposed to do,but while it was made to make you want to blow up the world on COD, it didn't blow me away.
3/5

6. Legacy- A lot of female features, but the work well. Another great beat. The album is so clean, well produced. Rubin won't get a lot of credit on this album, but his presence is felt on the album. Experience, pleasing the ear is felt here. Some the lyrics leave a little to be desired, but just about everything clicks. " I used the type of kid that would always think the sky is falling/ why am I so different wired" His wiring created another good track
4.5/5

7. Asshole (feat. Skylar Grey) - "Came to the world at a time when it was in need of a villain
An asshole, that role I think I succeed in fulfilling" This flow so well, the way he says asshole, the way to rides the beat. Skylar Grey drops the ball compared to the other female hooks so far on the album. This song has a lot of criticism already, but even with the lyrical flaws, chorus and not the most powerful beat, it's still a enjoyable song.

3/5
8. Berzerk - I find this song really disappointing. The beat is good, the chorus is good. But starting off the song so well with "Now this shit's about to kick off, this party looks wack
Let's take it back to straight hip-hop and start it from scratch" and having the lyrics fall of so hard is a let down.

3/5
9. Rap God - 4/5 The speed rap, the multiple flow, the hunger, confidence. So much going on in this song. He shows us how he lives up to the song title. Great song 4.5/5

10. Brainless - Another great beat. Another great flow. I really enjoy this song. He really shows off his lyricism and his ability to make a beat sound like it was just born for the lyrics he laid to them, that nothing else but what he rhymed would work. 4/5

11. Stronger than I Was - Em has always had a good singing voice. Sometimes there have been bad effects on vocals, sometimes he gets out of his range. But he sings beautifully on this soft, brilliant beat. After years of screaming and raspy voices it reminds you of how clean, crisp and powerful a soft Em can be. 4/5

12. The Monster (feat. Rihanna) - Em obviously likes to work with Rihanna. I've never thought they clicked well, she just sounds like, she's sounded in everything other thing she's ever done. But this song isn't too bad. It's too poppy. It's too mainstream. It makes you roll your eyes, it makes say "what was he thinking" all while you listen, not daring to skip the God of rap. 3.5/5

13. So Far… This song doesn't work. Classic hip hop beats use guitars. Em has used guitars very well over the years. But this beat doesn't work. The lyrics don't work. This song is a struggle to get through at points. 3/5

14. Love Game (feat. Kendrick Lamar) Another beat I don't like. I really have no clue what is going on in this song. It's all over the place. I thought this would be a really strong song, but it sounds like they were goofing around on a through away beat and someone put it on the album by mistake. 2/5

15. Headlights (feat. Nate Ruess) - Great beat. Very emotional and surprising song by Em talking about his mom without ripping her apart. Even though he's famous. Even though he's had a hard life. Even though his Mom did him wrong many times, you see another page in the book of Eminem. A guy that wanted the world and got it. But still wants the simple things that everyone wants. A family. People who love you and people you love. 4/5

16. Evil Twin- Em kills this song. It's hard to mess up a beat like this and Em goes in. Another look at the battle between bad em and evil Em. Top 4 Em says. I think we all agree Well done once again 4/5

17. Baby - Another Em beat. And it delivers. His lyrics are on point. 4/5

18. Desperation - A alex da kid beat, who had a lot of people worried. But it works on this song. A very unlike Em chorus for a song. But it sounds awesome Good song. 3/5

19. Ground Hog Day - One of the best beats on the entire album. Eminem kills this beat. 5/5
This album isn't the MMLP. It's the 8th album by a man in his 40's who has made thousands of songs. He still manages to find more lyrics, more passion and another album showing why he is one of the best to ever do it. I was hoping for a little more out of this album. But he still made a really good album that everyone should be happy with.

20. Beautiful Pain - A deep track that works well. Sia compliments the song well. 3/5

21. Wicked Ways - Not the strongest track ever, but enjoyable. 3/5

Overall score 4 of 5.

Much better than Recovery. This is an amazing album. Taking into consideration this is a effort by a man in his 40's who's already made thousands of songs the passion, dedication and lyrical abilities are truly stunning. You give Eminem good beats and three years to work on a album and he gives a classic.
Last edited by Jimmy Conway on Nov 2nd, '13, 09:36, edited 3 times in total.
It's the body bag game bitch I'm supplying coffins
Jimmy Conway
Renegade
Renegade

Re: Jimmy Conway MMLP2 Review

Postby Chazi » Oct 31st, '13, 14:38

You expected more right ?
Chazi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jimmy Conway » Oct 31st, '13, 14:48

Charlotte Mathers wrote:Yesterday you hated it more than life. But this seems fair enough, glad you gave it one more listen.

I was just being a dick, it was funny to me cause everyone was overreacting like all Em leaks, I went the opposite way for fun. I liked it yesterday too.
Jimmy Conway
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Never_Enough » Oct 31st, '13, 14:50

Good review, I don't agree about some things, especially about So Far, which I love, but you have a respectable opinion about everything.
Never_Enough
Renegade
Renegade

Postby alicia11 » Oct 31st, '13, 14:55

:flower: This review
alicia11
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jimmy Conway » Oct 31st, '13, 15:12

Never_Enough wrote:Good review, I don't agree about some things, especially about So Far, which I love, but you have a respectable opinion about everything.

I think I would have liked it better if the guitar wouldn't have been so loud and prominent. It's all I could really concentrate on. He had some decent lyrics here and there, but his flow/ lyrics didn't really go well to me. I liked the cat and onion ring references .
Jimmy Conway
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Jimmy Conway » Oct 31st, '13, 16:35

Bonus songs are great. probably won't go into depth with those, unless anyone wants me to.

They make the album better, that's for sure.
Jimmy Conway
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Destroyer » Oct 31st, '13, 16:36

how could you give so far 2/5? you a hip hop head faggot
Destroyer
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby trentimus » Oct 31st, '13, 16:37

There are a few Stans on this site that just go around trying to attack anyone who doesn't share their opinion.. lol you know who you are!
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Jimmy Conway » Oct 31st, '13, 16:38

Destroyer wrote:how could you give so far 2/5? you a hip hop head faggot

Because it isn't good.
Jimmy Conway
Renegade
Renegade

Postby trentimus » Oct 31st, '13, 16:41

Jimmy Conway wrote:
Destroyer wrote:how could you give so far 2/5? you a hip hop head faggot

Because it isn't good.

"Lol well fuck you for having an opinion, Jimmy" - Love Stan (AKA 1/3rd of TRSHADY)
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby trentimus » Oct 31st, '13, 16:47

Yeah I honestly don't even know what "Hip hop head faggot" means
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Destroyer » Oct 31st, '13, 16:48

hip hop head faggot = just because a song doenst sound 100% hip hop, dislike it

Love Game is DOPE, So FAR IS DOPE AF
Destroyer
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Jimmy Conway » Oct 31st, '13, 16:48

I like Eminem just as much as anyone here. But I don't let that biased my opinion. I take each song, track for track and look at that one song. I don't just say, well, Eminem is one of my favorite artists, so no song is ever under a 3 ever. That's just not how things work. No artists makes great songs every time, especially someone with as much material as eminem
Jimmy Conway
Renegade
Renegade

Postby trentimus » Oct 31st, '13, 16:49

Destroyer wrote:hip hop head faggot = just because a song doenst sound 100% hip hop, dislike it

Love Game is DOPE, So FAR IS DOPE AF

How about he didn't like it because he didn't like it.. Fucking moron.
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Next

Return to Shady Reviews