The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Marshall Mathers LP 2: 4Corners Review

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

Re: Marshall Mathers LP 2: 4Corners Review

Postby trentimus » Nov 1st, '13, 15:19

Em definitely took artistic risk and that's all I so badly wanted to see since Recovery. I felt like sound wise Recovery was just such a safe album for him.. and I just couldn't buy into the idea he was confident.
That might be my personal feelings too because he trashed Relapse which he obviously invested so much energy in.. I felt like his confidence really took a blow. Recovery just sounded hollow at some points for me.

This album when he says he is Top 3 & 4 I actually believe him. The confidence while telling his story of loser to Rap God is the beauty of Eminem to me.

I dunno, fuck.. it's just good. Great production too, minus a couple of songs.

I wont write an elaborate - track by track review because people would slam me for not liking a few songs musically (some that people obviously love) but I would say this album is a 4/5 in totality.
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby COLORADO » Nov 1st, '13, 15:21

4Corners wrote:
COLORADO wrote:Such a nice and worth review. (Y)

You from CO???

I'm from Brazil, man. :happy:
"So one last time, I’m back
Before it fades into black and it’s all over
Behold the final chapter in the saga,
Trying to recapture that lightning trapped in a bottle twice
The magic that started it all
Tragic portrait of an artist tortured
Trapped in his own drawings
Tapping the thoughts
Blacker and darker than anything imaginable
Here goes a wild stab in the dark
As we pick up the last Mathers’ last art"

Eminem, Bad Guy
COLORADO
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 15:23

COLORADO wrote:
4Corners wrote:
COLORADO wrote:Such a nice and worth review. (Y)

You from CO???

I'm from Brazil, man. :happy:

Damn haha

I'm born and raised in Denver. So that Bronco line was funny as fuck for me. I hate them though.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 15:28

trentimus wrote:Em definitely took artistic risk and that's all I so badly wanted to see since Recovery. I felt like sound wise Recovery was just such a safe album for him.. and I just couldn't buy into the idea he was confident.
That might be my personal feelings too because he trashed Relapse which he obviously invested so much energy in.. I felt like his confidence really took a blow. Recovery just sounded hollow at some points for me.

This album when he says he is Top 3 & 4 I actually believe him. The confidence while telling his story of loser to Rap God is the beauty of Eminem to me.

I dunno, fuck.. it's just good. Great production too, minus a couple of songs.

I wont write an elaborate - track by track review because people would slam me for not liking a few songs musically (some that people obviously love) but I would say this album is a 4/5 in totality.

Agree. I like all his albums, even Encore is decent given the great tracks on there, but there's obviously the horrid ones too. I'm probably one of the few who likes Recovery more than Relapse on here, I just couldn't wrap my head around the accents other than about 3-4 songs. I really wish he did the Elevator/Deja Vu/Music Box accent. Where it's there, but not quite as strong, he was more normalized.

SSLP: 9/10
MMLP: 10/10
TES: 10/10
ENC: 6.5/10
REL: 7/10
REC: 7.5/10
HTS: 8/10
MMLP2: 8/10.....could see myself giving it an 8.5 down the line if some of the weaker tracks grow on me, or if some of the 8 and 9's become even better.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby trentimus » Nov 1st, '13, 15:46

The great tracks on Encore are as great as ANY of his work. My list would probably be more like.. (luckily we have so much work from him to be able to do this)
SSLP 9.5/10
TES 11/10
MMLP 10/10
Encore 5/10
Relapse 8.5/10
Recovery 6.5/10
HTS 7/10
MMLP 2 8.5/10
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 17:13

I feel there's still too many good tracks on Recovery and Encore to put them that low.

Encore still had Never Enough, Yellow Brick Road, Like Toy Soldiers, Mosh, Spend Some Time, Mockingbird, Crazy In Love, We As Americans, Love You More, etc.

And Recovery still had Cold Wind Blows, On Fire, Going Through Changes, Seduction, No Love verse, Space Bound, Ridaz, Session One, So Bad, Almost Famous, Untitled.

But damn Marshall Mathers LP 2 has Bad Guy, Rhyme or Reason, So Much Better, Legacy, Rap God, Brainless, So Far, Love Game, Headlights, Evil Twin, Baby, Groundhog Day, Wicked Ways, etc.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby trentimus » Nov 1st, '13, 17:18

4Corners wrote:I feel there's still too many good tracks on Recovery and Encore to put them that low.

Encore still had Never Enough, Yellow Brick Road, Like Toy Soldiers, Mosh, Spend Some Time, Mockingbird, Crazy In Love, We As Americans, Love You More, etc.

And Recovery still had Cold Wind Blows, On Fire, Going Through Changes, Seduction, No Love verse, Space Bound, Ridaz, Session One, So Bad, Almost Famous, Untitled.

But damn Marshall Mathers LP 2 has Bad Guy, Rhyme or Reason, So Much Better, Legacy, Rap God, Brainless, So Far, Love Game, Headlights, Evil Twin, Baby, Groundhog Day, Wicked Ways, etc.

The whole album just falls short with how some songs just flat out lack any replay value.

I don't like Going Through Changes, Cold Wind Blows, Space Bound really. The content isn't bad they're just songs I have to skip 99% of the time.

Encore's shiney moments are some of Eminem's best IMO but the album as a whole just failed to delivery anything for me. So, I just have those songs really. Mockingbird is a good song again content wise but I just can't listen to it personally.
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby trentimus » Nov 1st, '13, 17:18

4Corners wrote:I feel there's still too many good tracks on Recovery and Encore to put them that low.

The whole album just falls short with how some songs just flat out lack any replay value.

I don't like Going Through Changes, Cold Wind Blows, Space Bound really. The content isn't bad they're just songs I have to skip 99% of the time.

Encore's shiney moments are some of Eminem's best IMO but the album as a whole just failed to delivery anything for me. So, I just have those songs really. Mockingbird is a good song again content wise but I just can't listen to it personally.
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Previous

Return to Shady Reviews