The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Marshall Mathers LP 2: 4Corners Review

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

Marshall Mathers LP 2: 4Corners Review

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 14:31

Okay. I figured after close to two days of listening, and now hearing the deluxe songs, I'd write a review for this.

Eminem delivers his Stillmatic

The funny thing is that this is probably Eminem's biggest risk he's taken in his whole career, naming his album the sequel to probably his greatest album, but I'll be damned if he didn't deliver something pretty good. Sure, the flow on certain songs at times isn't his absolute best, but everything works so well.....most of the time. It's Eminem's funniest album in a long time, and actually has moments that shocked or surprised in a good way. Now, let's go song by song.

1. Bad Guy - 9.5/10
The song starts off, and I'm sure everyone on their first listen is thinking it's about Eminem wanting to kill a woman after the first couple verses. Sure, the second verse the flow is off a little, the only thing keeping this song from a 10. But Em comes with a killer third verse, with an amazing flow and than drops the bomb that it's actually from the perspective of Matthew, Stan's little brother. He blames Eminem for his brothers death, and is coming to kill Em for revenge. It is definitely one of the two moments that really shocked me on first listen, but in a good way. Em executes the song perfectly, and the second part than fades into some of the dopest rhyming on the whole album. Great song to start out, of course Em always has dope shit to start his albums. Production from S1 and StreetRunner is surprisingly some of the strongest on the album IMO. On a side note.....being from Denver, I laughed out loud when I heard the bronco hat line, that was good.

2. Parking Lot (Skit) - 9/10
A solid skit, that served it's purpose. Any long time Em fan will appreciate this skit. It picks up where Criminal skit left off after Em robs the bank and what not. And not to mention the reference to '"this puppies lucky I didn't blast his ass yet" when he shoots the dog. Nice skit.

3. Rhyme or Reason - 8/10
Samples Time of the Season, and it works really well actually. With the What's your name....marshall, who's your daddy, I don't know him/I don't have him and in the end the "I don't give a fuck", There's also some dope yoda rhyming actually, which works better than any other time Ems attempted this IMO. Only thing stopping this song from being higher for me, is Ems flow leaves me wanting more. But definitely some memorable stuff on here, with Em talking about how he's the example of the rhymes falling into the wrong hands, and how hip hop ain't dying on his watch. A very good track. Definitely one of the best produced songs, handled by Rubin, as well as Eminem himself.

4. So Much Better - 8.5/10
Classic Shady fuck bitches song to say the least. But it works so well. This song makes something like Puke, which isn't a terrible song in the least, look like straight shit. Production handled by Eminem and Luis Resto, what an undeniable combo they are IMO, and it's one of the best handled tracks as far as production goes. What stops this song from being a 9 or higher for me is the bridge before the third verse, was not a fan of that, or the oink oink oink and doink doink doink line. But, there's too much right with the song for me to hate on it. The chorus is one of the better Em hooks as well, and not to mention the "I'm just playing Bitch, you know I love you". Classic shady song.

5. Survival - 5/10
First week song off the album. It just doesn't fit the rest of the sound, and it's not like Beautiful on Relapse, where IMO the song is undeniably good anyways. I really wish Eminem would stop working with DJ Khalil unless it's a track like Almost Famous, where the production suits him. Not a fan of the hook whatsoever, Liz sounds much better on something like Echo by BME, which is also produced by Khalil. Still, even with all the negatives, the track does have some stand out rapping, with most of the 2nd and 3rd verses being pretty solid.

6. Legacy - 10/10
I don't hand out 10's very often, but this song deserves it IMO. I fully expect this to be the most underrated song on the whole album. Aside from the flying italian sausage line, which doesn't kill the song whatsoever, this song fits perfectly and it works. It has me thinking this is what every girl hook on Recovery should have sounded like. Polina delivers a great hook, with some simple by very dope Em flows in every verse. I really love how it wasn't about his rapping legacy, and I love how he started with his troubles as a kid in school and growing up, and learning on how to rhyme. Great song IMO. Production handled by Emile, and you can feel it.One of the better outside producers who I hope Em continues to work with.

7. Asshole - 6/10
Ahhhhh. Alex da Kid made MMLP2, and one more than this song, but that'll come later. Even though I don't hate this beat, it is one of the weaker produced songs obviously. And the Skylar hook is fairly weak, and not fitting with Ems rapping in this song IMO. But, with that said.....Em delivers some bars in this song. There't too much wrong with the beat and hook combo or Alex and Skylar to give it a higher rating, but Em does spit some fire on this song. He's dissing ICP in this song, which he also did on the first MMLP. Also an Asher Roth jab in that first verse. But the wordplay and the rhyming at the end of the third verse is fucking dope. Still, a not very good song, which turned out to be decent due to Ems rapping. We also got a Colorado/Aurora theater shooting reference as well, a nice touch in the song and something that definitely gave that MMLP vibe.

8. Berzerk - 6/10
The song we all know, and some love, some think is alright, some really fucking hate. I fall into the middle. I initially hated this song, but it does have it's place on the album. Obviously paying homage to the Beastie's era in this song, obviously a Rubin beat on this track. Ems bars aren't anything really stand out, and there's definitely some cringe lines in the second and third verses, but the hook is dope (especially when he says crank the bass up like crazy in the 2nd and 4th time the hook is on). It's taking nothing away from the album, but it doesn't add anything really flattering to the album either IMO. But boy oh boy, man oh man....does it not work well going into the next track???

9. Rap God - 8/10
Em says he's taking it back to straight hip hop in Berzerk, and talks about never dumbing it down, and this is the PERFECT song to come after that one. A nice intro ending with this is exactly what the doc ordered, and than Ems starts the hook saying he's beginning to feel like a rap god (really Em? You're just now feeling like one, you've been one for awhile homie). Some incredible wordplay on this song, not to mention a jaw dropping "super sonic speed" flow in the third verse. Some great references to old school hip hop like Lakim Shabazz (I bet at least 9/10 people who out there who heard this did not know this reference), Heavy D, NWA, Rakim, Pac, Pharaoh Monch, etc. Only thing stopping this song from being a 9 or higher is the beat, which leaves a lot to be desired with the sirens and synths, and the meh hook. Still, dope track.

10. Brainless - 10/10
Once again....I don't hand out 10's very often, but this is well deserved. When I first heard it, I could have sworn it was going to say Produced by Alchemist, but nope....Em and Resto deliver another dope beat, see what I meant about pretty much an undeniable combo on the production side??? A great intro, a great Em hook talking about how his momma said if he had brains he'd be dangerous, who can't relate to that??? Didn't all of our parents say that to us??? Some straight up ill lyricism and spittin' on this track, one of the illest and rawest tracks on the whole album. Like to So Much Better, has a bridge before the third verse, but this time it works and fits PERFECT. Also like So Much Better, a classic Shady track. One of the best Eminem songs since his comeback in 2009. Dope shit.

11. Stronger Than I Was - 7.5/10
I know everyone loves this, and I like it. But I think Em really tries and thinks he can sing now. What made Hailie's Song amazing is the fact he knew he couldn't sing like that, and than delivered a fucking epic closing verse. This song has a very uplifting hook, talking about how even though she leaves, he won't break, he'll be stronger than ever. He does deliver a dope closing verse, though it doesn't quite match Hailie's Song, which is basically the same type of song structure wise on the TES. Produced by Eminem and Resto, the beat sounds solid. Just a solid song, not great or average at all IMO. Solid.

12. The Monster - 2.5/10
Just not feeling this track at all. Like Survival, I wish it would not have made the final cut. Too much wrong with the beat, especially the 2nd part of the hook, and nothing Em is saying or spittin' on the verses can save this one. Yeah it'll probably be a big hit, but it's by far the weakest song IMO. Frequency on the production, and though he's not a terrible producer, he by far didn't deliver on this. Only really really weak track on the whole album IMO.

13. So Far... - 8/10
Eminem sampled Joe Walsh....wow. Another moment that surprised the fuck out of me, but in a good way after hearing the song. Kiss my country bumpkin ass will be stuck in my head for weeks at this rate. Classic Shady verses, some of his funniest shit on this track. The Yelawolf line was funny as hell. Definitely a Rubin beat, you can hear that with the sample. The hook is alright, it works. There's just too much right about the verses, Ems last verse takes the cake for best one of the song IMO, and it's too classic funny Shady to be wrong. People that aren't open to anything other than straight hip hop beats will probably not like, feel, or understand this song. It's a very good track. Not a GREAT or potential classic track, but very good.

14. Love Game - 8/10
Another older sample, another Rubin track. I'll admit, wasn't a fan of Ems first verse. But Kendrick comes in on the hook, and it flat out fucking works. I know probably half the fans listening to this won't like it, but I truly believe they had an idea of what an Eminem Kendrick track would sound like. They fully probably expected a No Love type track, with both guys trading bars about the game, over your standard hip hop track. But no.....this song is a fun song. And both deliver with the humor, Kendrick killed me with that Zimmerman jab, I liked that. At first, after hearing Ems first verse and Kendrick's verse, I was thinking Kendrick just out shined Em on his own shit. But of course, the Rap God himself, delivers a killer third verse. Both tell a dope story, both are funny here, and the old sample there on the hook especially. A great song. Only thing dropping it from a 9 is Ems first verse isn't too good IMO.

15. Headlights - 10/10
Damn, this song has three 10's. Never would have though I'd say that after hearing the singles. The final moment of the album that truly shocked me. I never thought in a million years that Em would go here, but he did. He made basically an apology song to his mom. Ems most emotional track in years, hands down. If anyone's ever had strife with their mom, this hits home for sure. The flowing isn't perfect, but for fucks sake....this song isn't about the tight flows or anything. It's about the emotion. And with Em, just like someone like Pac, you can truly feel the emotion Em spills into this song. Nate Reuss works on this, and delivers a great hook. Definitely one of the highlights. Emile on the track, another great produced song. I really feel Eminem and Emile, they just make great emotional tracks. Going Through Changes, Legacy, and now this. Great combo there. Em should definitely stick with him in the future.

16. Evil Twin - 9.5/10
Em always fucking delivers on the opening and closing tracks, and this proves that again. Sid Roams on the beat, great production, they really really fit Ems style. Em just spitting raw and ill lyrics, with the comedic stuff too though. The hi....faggot line had me laughing, as well as the part where the judge asks where he got that quit and calls him a sexy mother fucker, classic shady shit. Love this track. Great closing track. Only reason it's not a 10 is the boner superman line, wasn't feeling that.

Bonus tracks

17. Baby - 9/10
Eminem produced Baby, and as usual, one of the better produced tracks. I really really wish this made the final cut, but glad nonetheless it made the bonus and it will OFFICIALLY be part of the MMLP2 ont he deluxe version. Em is perfect with the bars on this, and it's solid Em hook, but there's nothing special about the Em hook. Still, the beat and flows on the verses, it's classic Shady shit. Love this track.

18. Desperation - 8/10
Remember when I said Alex da Kid made more than Asshole, yeah this one. But.....this really fits well IMO. Jamie N Commons sounds GREAT.....GREAT on the hook. Em spittin some solid verses about a woman again. Alex da Kid works on the beat here, definitely a rock like track, but really really works well with Jamie and Em. Wish this or Beautiful Pain had made the final cut.

19. Groundhog Day - 9.5/10
Some of the best rapping on the whole thing, and definitely something the hip hop heads can listen to and say Em still has it. This is how I wish Em would spit 90% of the time now, it's near perfection on the bars. Not to mention Cardiak's production is dope as hell. This is definitely a hip hop heads record on here. Wish this would have made the album officially too.

20. Beautiful Pain - 8/10
Some people to dislike this, but I enjoy it. Sia works well on the hook, and though the beat is the weakest of the Eminem/Emile combos so far, this has it's place. Em delivers some great verses, and Sia fits well on the hook. Wish this one or Desperation had made the final cut.

21. Wicked Ways - 7/10
Alex Da Kid on production again, one of the weaker produced songs IMO. Still with the X Ambassadors on the hook, they really fit well. Em delivers some solid verses again, the rapping on this album was really on point, but there's no quarrels with me that this didn't make it. The Ken skit at the end was definitely definitely funnier than the one at the end of Underground though. A nice way to end the deluxe version.

OVERALL ALBUM: 8/10 or 4/5

A very very good album overall. Only a few missteps on the whole thing IMO. Something that can really be appreciated is that no Eminem album EVER.......EVER sounds the same. And moments like So Far..., Love Game, Rhyme or Reason can really only be a testament to his ability to make different sounds and songs. That can't be said about the two other relevant and current greats like Jay and Nas. They wouldn't touch something like So Far... or Love Game, because they couldn't make that work. It's refreshing to see Eminem and Kendrick didn't make the record the world expected them too, they made something truly original in hip hop. Something else he captured that the first MMLP did was the shocking moments. On MMLP, it was Stan, Kim, and many many other shocking moments. But he does capture that surprise and shock when you turn on Bad Guy and Headlights as well.

Now is this album a classic.....No. I don't think it is or ever will be, but does it add something to Ems legacy??? Yes, without question. It's hands down his best album since Eminem Show, and though I like Relapse and Recovery, and I like Encore too, Em really captured that raw feeling of MMLP on here. It doesn't sound like a carbon copy or even a repeat, it sounds like something built upon that feeling and the emotion of the first. This is Eminem's Stillmatic. Something that isn't a classic, but it doesn't have to be. It's a worthy follow up to the original, and builds upon it's legacy. Even though it's not as good as MMLP/TES/SSLP, I don't expect anything to ever match those. Those albums will always have a special place, but if this is the Eminem we're getting in 2013, than I'm happy as fuck about that. Good job Em.
Last edited by 4Corners on Nov 1st, '13, 15:09, edited 4 times in total.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Marshall Mathers LP 2: 4Corners Review

Postby Snakebeast » Nov 1st, '13, 14:45

Stronger than I was is from Kim's perspective, before switching up to Em's (hence the voice change transition).

Also, this belongs in the Shady Reviews section.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)
Snakebeast
Renegade
Renegade

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 14:51

Snake897 wrote:Stronger than I was is from Kim's perspective, before switching up to Em's (hence the voice change transition).

Also, this belongs in the Shady Reviews section.

My bad about posting here. I get that, I liked it still.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Troll » Nov 1st, '13, 14:53

An album with a song like "the monster" in it cant be a classic.
He should have put that song on the deluxe.
Jay-z is the best!!!!!
Troll
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby flyingmonkey10 » Nov 1st, '13, 14:54

i like the description of calling it eminem's stillmatic
very fitting :y:
How can hip-hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever?

Image ImageImageImageImage
flyingmonkey10
Role Model
Role Model

Postby mdemaz » Nov 1st, '13, 15:01

Cool review.

I agree for the most part.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby trentimus » Nov 1st, '13, 15:01

I did wanna point out that after "Hi...Faggot" on Evil Twin I felt he was transformed into Slim Shady
And on Bad Guy, when the car wrecks and the beat changes it's his alter ego again talking to Marshall. Did anyone else get that impression?

I agree with most of your review minus I would bump Berzerk up and STIW down.

Good honest review.
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 15:02

Troll wrote:An album with a song like "the monster" in it cant be a classic.

Didn't say it was a classic. Said it was his Stillmatic, a follow up to his original and something that is very good.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Troll » Nov 1st, '13, 15:05

4Corners wrote:
Troll wrote:An album with a song like "the monster" in it cant be a classic.

Didn't say it was a classic. Said it was his Stillmatic, a follow up to his original and something that is very good.

You didnt say it, but some other dudes in trshady say its a classic.
Anyway good review bro. :y:
Jay-z is the best!!!!!
Troll
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 15:06

Definitely not a classic, just like Stillmatic isn't.

Some heads and Nas fans want to say Stillmatic is Nas' third classic. Naw it's not that amazing or incredible, but it's fucking a very good album. Same here.
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby COLORADO » Nov 1st, '13, 15:06

Such a nice and worth review. :y:

But for me it is a classic.
Last edited by COLORADO on Nov 1st, '13, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
"So one last time, I’m back
Before it fades into black and it’s all over
Behold the final chapter in the saga,
Trying to recapture that lightning trapped in a bottle twice
The magic that started it all
Tragic portrait of an artist tortured
Trapped in his own drawings
Tapping the thoughts
Blacker and darker than anything imaginable
Here goes a wild stab in the dark
As we pick up the last Mathers’ last art"

Eminem, Bad Guy
COLORADO
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 15:08

COLORADO wrote:Such a nice and worth review. (Y)

You from CO???
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EriCartman » Nov 1st, '13, 15:11

I think enough time hasn't past yet. 13 years later this shit will be the modern day ... well MARSHALL MATHERS LP.
It shows growth as an person. He apologizes to his mom, admits he aint' as big as he was, Matthew mocks the album name being a publicity stunt, talks about mainstream accusations ...
It delievered man.. To say the least. It's a true pleasure for Hip Hop heads, especially for Stans.
It is great to have an album like this in 2013, man.

This is a great review.
Could have given Rap God 8.5 though ...
Last edited by EriCartman on Nov 1st, '13, 15:13, edited 2 times in total.
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAAH

Eminem wrote:Unfashionable and bout as rational as a rash in a fag's asshole
EriCartman
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby trentimus » Nov 1st, '13, 15:12

4Corners wrote:Definitely not a classic, just like Stillmatic isn't.

Some heads and Nas fans want to say Stillmatic is Nas' third classic. Naw it's not that amazing or incredible, but it's fucking a very good album. Same here.

He doesn't have the movement to make a classic. Just like you said. This is great for fans.. I really just feel this album was clearly made for us. We wanted him to go back so badly.. and instead he took his new style and went for closure of all those feelings.

It worked. I have moved past his change now. I feel most "Nostalgic Stans" as we're being called will be satisfied.
trentimus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby 4Corners » Nov 1st, '13, 15:15

trentimus wrote:
4Corners wrote:Definitely not a classic, just like Stillmatic isn't.

He doesn't have the movement to make a classic. Just like you said. This is great for fans.. I really just feel this album was clearly made for us. We wanted him to go back so badly.. and instead he took his new style and went for closure of all those feelings.

It worked. I have moved past his change now. I feel most "Nostalgic Stans" as we're being called will be satisfied.

Agreed. I don't think Em or Nas can make a classic at this point, because everyone has already been so invested in their classics. Even if they make something like their classics, it'll never be quite as good as the original. And even if they make something different and fucking incredible, people will say it's too different from their classics, ya feel me???

Reason why I love this album though and Em in general is because not only does he have the incredible lyricism, he has that pac like emotion in his music where he can make you believe everything he's saying and really connects with the audience. And.....like Pac.....NONE OF HIS ALBUMS SOUND THE SAME. NONE. You can't say the same for Nas and Jay.

Side note.....given the 4 reviews we have from people, it seems to be getting positive reviews.

5/5
4/5
4/5
Positive
4Corners
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Shady Reviews