The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Superman MMLP2 Review.

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

Superman MMLP2 Review.

Postby superman11 » Nov 1st, '13, 20:40

Whats up guys? Just wanted to do a full review after listening through about 5-6 times.. Let's jump right into it. Keep in mind, the ratings might change slightly as it ages.

Bad Guy

If anyone told us we would be getting sequel to Stan, some of us would cringe at the idea, or laugh at the troll who told us that. Bad Guy still has it's own identity, but brings us back to that storytelling we loved from the original MMLP, and was executed beautifully. Simple beat, chill vocals on the hook. Made me think, Anyone wanna complain about female hooks now? The beat changes up and I immediately got chills and still do after a few listens. To put it simply, a classic track and worthy follow up to Stan. A lot of you guys we're saying it should have closed the album, but I think it was perfect to pick up where the original left off before heading in a new direction.

Verdict: 10/10

Parking Lot (Skit)

As soon as I heard the end of the Criminal skit, I knew I would love it. One of my favorite Em tracks of all time is even better for me now. Also placed perfectly on the album IMO. Just like Stan on the original, it needed that skit afterwards to give your mind a break after such an epic track (Bad Guy in this case obv.) The one minute break allowed the first track to soak in, and gave you a laugh before heading in that new direction in the next track. Nothing much else to say, not going to put a numbered rating on a skit, but I loved it.

Rhyme or Reason

Eminem takes us into a new direction, something we never seen from him before. Obvious Rubin influence/production. At first listen, I didn't fall in love, but I liked it and it was very interesting to me. After a few more listens, I love it. Rapping about his dad, doing the personas, the chill overall sound to it, an awesome track.

Verdict: 9/10

So Much Better

Classic Slim. The beat and content bring me right back to The Eminem Show, this track could easily fit on that album. But this track is so relatable to me, been dealing with 2 people who I unfortunately cannot get rid of (it's up to family members) Long story but, this track hit home with me, as fucked up as that sounds.. Love listening to this one, that hook is just so perfect, along with that Em production, ugh, love it.

Survival

Let me start off by saying I don't hate this song at all, I like it actually. But it's replaceable and clearly bottom tier in comparison to the rest of the album. Groundhog Day would have been a much better replacement. Part of the reason why I dislike it on the album has more to do with the fact that it was made more for Call of Duty, and not as much for MMLP2. I'm sure the deal with Activision will boost sales, but still. Still a good song and doesn't stand out as bad as tracks like Won't Back Down did on Recovery.

Verdict: 7/10

Legacy

Another amazing track. So far, Rubin and Eminem have shined on this album production wise, now it was Emile's turn. Another well used female hook, which happened to be better executed than the two featured females. Amazing storytelling with the sound of rain in the background. Em takes us from his childhood before music being bullied to when he learned to use music to fight those demons to the genius he is today. Perfect verses, chill hook and beat. Classic track.

Asshole

I see a little bit of hate for this track, but I don't see it. The beat isn't the best, but this is the best ADK beat I've heard. Em does so well on it and Skylar delivers a decent hook with a funny but serious topic. I enjoy listening to it, but regardless, it's towards the bottom being one of my least favorites.

Verdict: 8/10

Berzerk

Loved this track from day one. Em and Rubin brought us to that era with the sample/beat and homage to Beastie Boys. Love the first verse, 2nd verse is lackluster and 3rd is a fun, well delivered verse that we're used to with Em singles. And that hook, one of the best Em has done in a long time. Sounds great with the other songs as well, and served it's purpose as a first single to bump and put us in that time period.

Verdict: 7.5/10

Rap God

Remember when this dropped and we all said it's probably a top 2 or 3 track. Shit blew my mind and still does. Lyrically he shines for 6 minutes and proves that he is the Rap God. The references and flows are amazing. Love this track but it doesn't sound 100% right on the album, still somewhat fits though.

Brainless

Probably the best produced track on this album (although Cardiak makes a run in the bonus tracks). But this is that Em prod. that we all missed. This reminds me of Relapse but is just so much sharper. That hook is classic slim. Love it. Although it's not a concept track as deep as Bad Guy or Legacy, I can't find one downside of this one.

Stronger Than I Was

More Em production. Brings me back to The Eminem Show days again with the singing. I do wish there was a little bit more rapping on this one, caused I love that part. But not at all a bad song, but towards the bottom as far as my favorites go on this album. Mood music for sure though.

Verdict: 8.5/10

The Monster

Again, I'll start off by saying that this isn't a terrible song. But I think it went in the wrong direction and is solely on this album for sales and radio play. It could have been darker and still been a hit, but I hate that someone could actually dance with the beat on the hook. Beautiful Pain would have fit perfectly here.

Verdict: 6/10

So Far...

Love this one so much. So much fun to listen to. More of that cool new direction from Rubin and executed nicely with great verses and hook from Em. My heart actually skipped when the beats from I'm Back and The Real Slim Shady came on before the hook.

Verdict: 9.5/10

Love Game

Anyone else feel like So Far.. and Love Game flow into eachother seamlessly? Not what I was expecting with this collab. but still a cool track. Another fun track that I found my self smiling throughout. Kendrick delivers as the only other rapper on the album. Em's last verse is just amazing. More of that direction and influence from Rubin that I loved. Other artists take notes, this is how you evolve. Could have been better, but enjoyable.

Headlights

Wow. SO many feels. Again, if someone told us we we're getting a song where Em apologizes to his mom, we might actually believe that cause who would even make that up.. Never expected this. Just shows how mature Em has gotten over the years. Such a beautiful track, Nate shines as being the best feature. I'm sure many people can relate to this track, and I know some people got emotional with this. I got chills myself, that's just great music. Hands down classic.

Evil Twin

Cool way to end the album. That Reunion flow returns in parts, as well as the Royce sample. More classic Eminem/Slim, and we all wanted him to make a track like this one. Amazing lyrics and flow to bring it all to a close. Another 9 or better for this album.

BONUS TRACKS

Baby

The amazing flow and content continues with the bonus tracks. I love the Em production and the verses are amazing. The hook is where I feel like this deserved to be a bonus. I know a lot of you guys love this one, but the mediocre hook IMO is where it falls short as an overall track for the album. But I do love the verses and will bumping it for a while.

Desperation

Very interesting. We all wanted him to work with Jamie N Commons. I like the verses and hook, but I think the overall sound will have to grow on me. It could have fit on the album before Stronger Than I Was, but I also got the bonus track feeling while listening to this track. Should have def. done Devil In Me. Still a good overall track.

Groundhog Day

Why the fuck did this not make the album? This track is start to finish perfection. Seriously, I can't find anything wrong with it. Amazing production from Cardiak, Em's lyrics and the small samples in the beginning and throughout the song, so well done. Em tells a story with this one considering there isn't a hook and he's going off. Amazing track that I want to listen to more and more. If not on the album to replace Survival, it should have made the cut regardless.

Verdict: 9.5/10

Beautiful Pain

Such a poetic song. Sia is well used here, nothing over the top spectacular, but she fits the song. Em's well written verses gives me chills as it leads up to the dark chorus. Probably the best written song Em's done in a very long time. Should have for sure replaced The Monster. Love it.

Wicked Ways

I really like this one. Nothing spectacular, but Em continues to deliver. I like the hook, and the beat is simple enough for me to not focus on anything but the lyrics. I think this would have been a great way to end the album, or maybe be a hidden track. Love it though and is a track I'll be bumping for a while.

At the end of the day, I'm so thankful that Em is still putting out music at his age and after all he's been through. A lot of us prepped for a subpar album that we just hoped would be better than his last few. I never thought he would put something out at this point that could share the same sentence as his first 3 classic albums. Eminem, Rick Rubin and Emile shine the most production wise and gave this album a great direction. I haven't had this feeling listening to new music in such a long time, Eminem Show to be exact. I smiled, I got chills, I teared up, I zoned out. This album is incredible.

My one complaint would be Survival and The Monster.. I know they aren't shit songs, but they are on this album for reasons that don't seem to be more for Interscope and money rather than Em's music. Either way, they did both serve a purpose, and they do fit on this album even though they are the worst 2 tracks. But just imagine Groundhog Day over Survival and Beautiful Pain over The Monster, that would have been perfection, and may even give TES a run for it's money.

But at the end of it all, this album is his fourth classic. And I love it. :flutter:

Overall verdict: 9/10 If we're being more precise, 9.2..

If anyone cares, to put it in perspective.
- MMLP - 9.8
- TES - 9.5
- MMLP2 - 9.2
- SSLP - 9
- Relapse - 8.2
- Recovery - 8
- Encore - 6

Feedback would be great, took me a while to put this together actually. It's been a fun ride since I been on here as well. Loved it. :y:
Last edited by superman11 on Nov 1st, '13, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
superman11
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Superman MMLP2 Review.

Postby Notalius » Nov 1st, '13, 22:05

Great review, I think Stronger than I was deserved a 9 but maybe that's just me. And thank god I'm not the only one that would rate it above SSLP. I'm not deciding "too early". I'll always say that this album is better than SSLP

My Last Shoutout - My Last Will

http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175438

So kids, am I worth it ? Did I put enough work in ?

#GiveCanadaPureTheDick | 04.12.2014 - The day TR was closed forever

We are here now --> http://www.hiphopshelter.com
Notalius
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby superman11 » Nov 1st, '13, 22:09

NotaliusThaGod wrote:Great review, I think Stronger than I was deserved a 9 but maybe that's just me. And thank god I'm not the only one that would rate it above SSLP. I'm not deciding "too early". I'll always say that this album is better than SSLP

Thanks for replying.. Tracks like Stronger Than I Was will grow on me I'm sure.. It's at least an 8.5, but I wouldn't be mad if someone gave it a 9..

It is better than SSLP, and I feel like people who are so against putting this album up there are people who act like his old shit is untouchable. No joke, MMLP is pretty much perfect, but TES is my favorite Em album to listen to, and if Groundhog Day and Beautiful Pain were on this album over Survival and Monster, they would probably be tied.

A lot of people also only gave it one or two listens in mediocre quality.. CDQ will enhance it that much. And I'm sure people who don't get this album, cause I've see a few people say that, will eventually understand it and it will grow on them I think.

EDIT: Just realized I had Stronger Than I Was at 8, that's a mistake, it was supposed to be 8.5.
superman11
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Notalius » Nov 1st, '13, 22:13

superman11 wrote:
NotaliusThaGod wrote:Great review, I think Stronger than I was deserved a 9 but maybe that's just me. And thank god I'm not the only one that would rate it above SSLP. I'm not deciding "too early". I'll always say that this album is better than SSLP

Thanks for replying.. Tracks like Stronger Than I Was will grow on me I'm sure.. It's at least an 8.5, but I wouldn't be mad if someone gave it a 9..

It is better than SSLP, and I feel like people who are so against putting this album up there are people who act like his old shit is untouchable. No joke, MMLP is pretty much perfect, but TES is my favorite Em album to listen to, and if Groundhog Day and Beautiful Pain were on this album over Survival and Monster, they would probably be tied.

A lot of people also only gave it one or two listens in mediocre quality.. CDQ will enhance it that much. And I'm sure people who don't get this album, cause I've see a few people say that, will eventually understand it and it will grow on them I think.

EDIT: Just realized I had Stronger Than I Was at 8, that's a mistake, it was supposed to be 8.5.

We basically share the same opinion :b:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=164959&hilit=sslp+can+be+topped

My Last Shoutout - My Last Will

http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175438

So kids, am I worth it ? Did I put enough work in ?

#GiveCanadaPureTheDick | 04.12.2014 - The day TR was closed forever

We are here now --> http://www.hiphopshelter.com
Notalius
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby superman11 » Nov 1st, '13, 22:17

NotaliusThaGod wrote:
superman11 wrote:

We basically share the same opinion :b:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=164959&hilit=sslp+can+be+topped

Awesome. I've been saying it. Once I seen the title MMLP2, I knew he wouldn't come soft like Recovery and I truly thought it would 100% be better than his last three, with a chance to top SSLP. Glad we both see it the same.

At the end of the day, if people disagree, let em. Us thinking this of the album lets us enjoy it that much more then them..
superman11
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Drax207 » Nov 1st, '13, 23:14

I absolutely agree with everything, every single word, except maybe the Monster's verdict. I would have given it 7.5.

I knew you were the GOAT poster, superman :y:
My Music Box, #1 Em song              <Insert Insult Here>            #Slumerican

Mr. Porter wrote:
csw621 wrote:
Mr. Porter wrote:I also thought he sounded off-beat.

Porter plz, don't you have a youtube awards performance to fuck up

As a matter of fact I do. Thanks for reminding me.
Drax207
Soldier
Soldier

Postby superman11 » Nov 2nd, '13, 00:21

Drax207 wrote:I absolutely agree with everything, every single word, except maybe the Monster's verdict. I would have given it 7.5.

I knew you were the GOAT poster, superman :y:

Glad you agree. :wub:

@menzo Thanks brother!

It makes me happy to know people love this as much as me.
This album was made for us Stans.
superman11
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nick29black » Nov 2nd, '13, 09:45

Great review

Eminem shines in this album once again

I rate it 9.8 of 10

Headlights gave me a emotional roller coaster he is the best modern storyteller of our time
Nick29black
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Sea triscuit » Nov 2nd, '13, 18:06

I pretty much share the exact same thoughts :y: good read
Sea triscuit
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby kpprasa » Nov 2nd, '13, 20:06

AWESOME Post buddy,
The only thing I disagree with is Evil Twin- only a 9! Maybe it's just me, but I honestly thought that song was GOAT. Shit referenced so many things, had incredible lyrics. For me, it was a 10/10 and gave Bad Guy and Headlights a run for their money.
Otherwise, I agree Classic album, somewhere in his top three- I need a few hundred more listens to decide. Great Review Man :b:
I walk around like a space cadet, place your bets
Who's likely to become a serial killer? Case of tourettes
Fuck, fuck, fuck! Can't take the stress
I make a mess as the day progresses
Angry and take it out on the neighbors hedges like this is how I'll cut
Your face up bitches with these hedge trimming scissors with razor edges
Imagination's dangerous, it's the only way to escape this mess
And make the best of this situation, I guess
kpprasa
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby superman11 » Nov 2nd, '13, 20:12

kpprasa wrote:AWESOME Post buddy,
The only thing I disagree with is Evil Twin- only a 9! Maybe it's just me, but I honestly thought that song was GOAT. Shit referenced so many things, had incredible lyrics. For me, it was a 10/10 and gave Bad Guy and Headlights a run for their money.
Otherwise, I agree Classic album, somewhere in his top three- I need a few hundred more listens to decide. Great Review Man :b:

Thanks. Evil Twin is dope, but Idk if it's more than a 9. Keep in mind I still can't even figure out what the best track is, it's still early. A few songs have been growing on me, and I probably listened to Evil Twin the least aside from the singles and bonus tracks.

I think when it's all said and done the top 3 on this album will be Bad Guy, Legacy and Headlights. But my favorite one to listen to is So Far... Shit is so awesome.
superman11
Soldier
Soldier

Postby kpprasa » Nov 2nd, '13, 21:31

superman11 wrote:
kpprasa wrote:AWESOME Post buddy,

Thanks. Evil Twin is dope, but Idk if it's more than a 9. Keep in mind I still can't even figure out what the best track is, it's still early. A few songs have been growing on me, and I probably listened to Evil Twin the least aside from the singles and bonus tracks.

I think when it's all said and done the top 3 on this album will be Bad Guy, Legacy and Headlights. But my favorite one to listen to is So Far... Shit is so awesome.

Agreed :flutter: Give ET a few more listens. I'll do the same with Legacy. We need more people like you on TR :wave:
I walk around like a space cadet, place your bets
Who's likely to become a serial killer? Case of tourettes
Fuck, fuck, fuck! Can't take the stress
I make a mess as the day progresses
Angry and take it out on the neighbors hedges like this is how I'll cut
Your face up bitches with these hedge trimming scissors with razor edges
Imagination's dangerous, it's the only way to escape this mess
And make the best of this situation, I guess
kpprasa
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Emadyville » Nov 3rd, '13, 08:30

i have nothing else to say but this was a great review. agreed with almost everything. thanks for taking the time to do this
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby Guess_Who » Nov 4th, '13, 14:28

I agree with you for the most part. I would give more puntuation to Stronger than I was though.

After listening the whole album The monster is the song I like less. But I'm really loving the rest.
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby superman11 » Nov 4th, '13, 18:44

^ Thanks guys.. I can't get enough of this album. Songs I feel are middle ground overall on the album are still 9's to me..
superman11
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Shady Reviews