The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Ladel's Take: MMLP2 Track-By-Track Review

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

Ladel's Take: MMLP2 Track-By-Track Review

Postby ladelsofgravy » Nov 4th, '13, 07:36

A few days in, I'll give my quick assessment of the songs track-by-track. I'll write a real review in time, but for now, I'll make something simpler and easier to digest.

Bad Guy 5/5
A sequel to the much popular Stan may not carry the same weight, but it completes the circle and after the 5-minute mark (including the outro), it expands beyond that into a strong introduction to what the album is essentially. Whether it's the fitting hook, strong storytelling, or variety of emotions it conveys, it's incredibly satisfying.

Rhyme or Reason 3/5
A unique sample, unlike anything he's even done, but perhaps too strange for the post-introduction song. And perhaps the beginning of the first verse was a bit too early for the Yoda impression. It's darker parts are redolent of the original MMLP, but it also wants to a comedy song, where many of it's jokes don't pan out as well as it well they try.

So Much Better 3/5
From a sound perspective, it's some of his best, with a strong hook which is pleasantly reminiscent of his older work. It conveys the right emotion (especially with the "throw a party after this" line). But it doesn't really say anything. It's an emotion without an actual story to tell. It's a yet another [insert random] diatribe against women [here] that lacks the shock value or satirical value of his older work. Just feels like a needless retread.

Survival 4/5
Most reminiscent of Recovery and the main reason it was included was due to corporate promotion. Art vs. pragmatism I guess. In some ways it's overwhelming, but in other's it provides the album with an uplifting energy that was missing in some of his other songs. Sometimes it's skippable and other time's it's exactly the kind of song I'm looking for.

Legacy 5/5
Perhaps it's the dark atmosphere juxtaposed with the flawlessly serene chorus or it's the sound filter that makes Em's delivery more effective. It examines deep into his childhood and his dreams being brutally honest and never looking away, but at the same time, not being excessively melodramatic.

Asshole 5/5
One of my favorite. Skylar does a great job on the hook and doesn't overstay her welcome. This is most reminiscent of the original MMLP in it's lyrical content (though Em's flow is quite experimental in this one). It probably dives into the controversy the original MMLP created the most. He's a sociopathic jerk, hypocrite, and people love to hate him. Exactly what I like to hear.

Berzerk 4/5
With strong production by Rick Rubin and a catchy chorus, this song is an instant classic. The verses certainly lack the lyrical prowess of most of the others in this album, but it has a lightness to it to brighten up the album. It's an easy breakout single and a good song in it's own right.

Rap God 5/5
Some lines in this song falter, but in such a dense song full of content, that's okay. It's efficacy is undeniable; it's Em's new moniker. There's enough lyricism in here for fans to analyze and discuss for years. In context of the rest of the album, it makes sense to have a 6 minute song where he just "goes off". It's an experimental song which tries many different style, and in the right mood, it's quite an adrenaline rush.

Brainless 5/5
Yep, another "guess what, i'm crazy" song, yet done very well. This is exactly the vibe that Relapse should have had. Tackles some tough topics, but with added exaggeration, humor and a wee bit of chaos, it's a flurry of a lot of things which make for a great song.

Stronger Than I Was 4/5
A mature sequel to "Kim", with the shoe on the other foot. As a singer, Eminem hits the right notes most of the time, yet is noticeable off-key at time, yet his vocals convey exactly the right mood. And, it's a good change of pace in this diverse album.

The Monster 4/5
Rihanna's performance is as good as ever and Em's delivery is sharp and on point. It's genuine and introspective, as well as listenable. At the same time, it doesn't examine the issue it takes on nearly as much as LTWYL did.

So Far... 4/5
Not one of the strongest tracks on the album, but still very good. It makes a lot of jokes, but none of them really hit hard. And the rock sample, while great, can get grating after a while. It's surely an improvement over WTP though.

Headlights 4/5
A long overdue apology to someone who needed it. On the first listen, it strongly resonated emotionally, and yes, it made me cry. It didn't have that impact on future listens as Tupac's Dear Mama had, but I do return to this song just to hear words that every man should hear. Giving Nate Reuss 2 minutes of solo-time was a gutsy decision to create a buffer. At the same time, a 3rd verse would've been better appreciated instead.

Love Game 4/5
Yes, you were expecting a song like Big Sean's Control or The Game's City. In time, we'll praise their foresight for not giving us what we wanted, but instead playing with our shallow expectations and giving us something unique. Still, it's a very good song. It doesn't get an advantage over the others for it's uniqueness. It's no better or worse than the other songs - just different.

Evil Twin 5/5
Ends the album with arguably it's greatest track, trading bars with his schizoid alter-ego, who has been forced to stick to the shadows a little too often. Delivers some of the most intense lyrics and memorable lines of the album. It also delves into the controversies of the album's predecessor whereas the other songs touched on them without diving into them. Add the album's greatest beat and hook and you have a perfect song to create that final lasting impression.
TES > MMLP > MMLP2 > SSLP > Rec = Rel > Enc
ladelsofgravy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Ladel's Take: MMLP2 Track-By-Track Review

Postby Emadyville » Nov 4th, '13, 15:13

great review. well written with an intriguing view of each song in ways. thanks for taking the time to do this
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby Notalius » Nov 4th, '13, 16:40

I like the review but imo your rating system sucks. I mean, asshole 5/5 but Headlights 4/5 ?

My Last Shoutout - My Last Will

http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175438

So kids, am I worth it ? Did I put enough work in ?

#GiveCanadaPureTheDick | 04.12.2014 - The day TR was closed forever

We are here now --> http://www.hiphopshelter.com
Notalius
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby ladelsofgravy » Nov 4th, '13, 18:41

NotaliusThaGod wrote:I like the review but imo your rating system sucks. I mean, asshole 5/5 but Headlights 4/5 ?

usually em's introspective songs have that 3rd verse where he totally kills it, like deja vu for example. i felt shortchanged. i liked nate reuss's singing but not in place of a third verse.
TES > MMLP > MMLP2 > SSLP > Rec = Rel > Enc
ladelsofgravy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Hamza1972 » Nov 11th, '13, 10:44

Good review! :)
But Rhyme or Reason 3/5? Ehh
Hamza1972
Soldier
Soldier

Postby The Asshole » Nov 11th, '13, 12:23

Enjoy the review even though I disagree with Rhyme or Reason only getting a 3 and The Monster a 4, that's just me though.
The Asshole
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Tom313 » Nov 13th, '13, 23:20

Good review. Disagree with some ratings. Evil Twin is too weak at the end to be 5/5. I think the only 5/5 songs are Bad Guy and Rap God.
So you be Thor and I'll be Odin
Tom313
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to Shady Reviews