The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

The Eminem Show - Track by Track Review

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

The Eminem Show - Track by Track Review

Postby Satan » Jan 10th, '14, 23:12

White America - Jesus is this song incredible. While a very overwhelming stray from the sound listeners have become accustomed to, it feels like a growth, rather than going from accents to screaming about hoes & McDonalds. The beat is one of many 2000-2009 guitar beats that Eminem always seemed to kill (besides Beautiful). The sound is actually a welcome change from the simplistic style of the instrumentals he had during his 1999-2001 years. Lyrically, it's brutal. While he has many classic tracks, this is one where you could pick any random two bars and be able to dissect them properly. Depth that was shown in glimmers on MMLP (that is in no way an insult), is in full force on this song. The intense vocals make me miss when Eminem being in your face was something done occasionally, rather than on nearly every other song. It's political concept is done in a way that doesn't feel too simplistic ("I ain't no friend of Bush!"), but not too in-depth for it's own good. It's near-perfection, and one of the staples of the undeniable growth that was destroyed by D12 World and Encore. 9/10

Business - This is where the problems with the album begin to sprout. The song is basically rapping just to rap, with a barely held onto concept of being the "superhero" of hip-hop that is only expressed in the intro & outro, and a few bars, which isn't a bad thing, because Criminal was a rapping just to rap song and turned out fine. He just doesn't pull this off well, instead backfiring himself into immature nonsense at times (the fruits bars, for example). The chorus is well done, actually, most likely the best part of the song. There are a few specific bars that are pretty good, but the bland and sometimes even awful bars kill it. The majority of the song is him ranting about how he's so insane and witty, which grows old pretty fast. It's a watered down version of the non-serious songs on the album, at best. 6/10

Cleanin' Out My Closet - While technically near perfection, overplaying has taken a toll on my ability to play this song more than occasionally. That being said, it's one of his best "family" songs, if not THE best. I do have a problem somewhat, however. Despite it being near perfection, it has the same problem that a few of pre-2005 "personal" songs have. Eminem, before 2005, sometimes had a problem with being unable to strike middle ground between silly and serious. Either he is dead fucking serious, or just being silly. This problem isn't persistent on the album, except for this specific song. Another song I can think of with this problem is Love You More, which borders on being too damn serious for it's own good. That being said, I don't feel it affects it too bad compared to, say, Like Toy Soldiers, or Love You More. The rhyming scheme mostly being somewhat simplistic for Em, somehow shows that he cared a lot about the lyrics on this song. I don't listen to it much, but that doesn't bring it down much imo. It's pretty damn great. 9/10

Square Dance - This song is basically, at least to me, a more mature Business, though that isn't saying much sometimes. Case in point? The chorus, which feels like a placeholder chorus where Eminem is just fucking around, rather than something official. The verses range a lot, because either they can be in-your-face embarrassing ("no friend of Bush") or astoundingly fantastic. The political lines, unlike White America, can sometimes be either juvenile or tired. That being said, some of it can manage to be great, specifically after the middle of the second verse. His insults/disses are also pretty tired for his style, strangely (though "Can-I-Bitch" was never a prize-winning insult even in his prime). The few bars that come across as below average are few in-between. However, the third verse, is somewhat unremarkable and comes across as contrived with a few bars. But while it can be a mess, it's a fine listen, and one of the unskippable songs from the album. 7/10

Soldier - This song, while not in his top 10, is a good insightful song. The verses are great, it's always good to hear songs that take a look into the mindset of Eminem (even G.O.A.T, due to the sheer insanity of it). The hook, on the other hand, is one of the most laughably generic things he has ever written in his prime. Which is somewhat sorry for this song, considering it's nowhere near generic. The lead-in from The Kiss is purely fantastic, along with the buildup. While some of the lyrics can get too indistinguishable from a few other songs on the album, some lyrics can be pure genius. It's imperfect because of a few issues, but nonetheless, it's an unskippable song. 8.5/10

Say Goodbye Hollywood - The transition from Soldier to this is purely fantastic, and is very obviously deliberate. This is the definition of a perfect Eminem song, 10/10, from the beat, the flow, the hook, his voice, and the lyrics, it's all purely the definition of godly, and in my opinion, the best song from him to date. I wouldn't change a thing about it. It's a perfect reaction to the fallout of him as a person and rapper. The rhyme scheme here is genius, and one of his best, without risking having some, for lack of a better word, dumb lyrics. The lyrics range from simplistic yet remarkable, to some of the most complex things you could get from a rapper in 2002. The "I don't wanna quit, but shit, I feel like this is it/For me to have this much appeal like this, is sick/This is not a game, this fame, in real life this is sick" bars, truly give a perfectly mature look the mind of 2002 Eminem. Introspective songs like this tend to be great (at least if you don't count 2004-2007), and tend to be AT LEAST one of the best of the album (Rock Bottom, Kill You, this, Never Enough, Deja Vu, and GTC so far). It truly proves that while rapping was one of the few things he did without effort, nearly nothing else did. 10/10

Drips - He can't stay on a roll with above average songs forever on even his most well respected albums, and this is proof. What a step-down from Soldier & Stay Goodbye Hollywood indeed. Though, I couldn't put it in a better spot, because any song would feel underwhelming after those two songs. Obie's spot on this album feels strangely out of place, but his spot also feels needed because of Eminem obviously needing to advertise him. It makes me wonder why Yeller and SH weren't on MMLP2's regular edition (if they are on the deluxe edition). Anyways, the hook is strangely catchy, but still below average for Eminem in his prime. The beat, is just a cheap imitation of Dre's style, and is just somewhat of a backfire because of Eminem's unbelievable producing talents in 2002. Obie's verse is unfathomably bad, disgusting, and just a chore to listen to. With Eminem's verse, well, technically, it's not bad. It is, on the contrary, unremarkable. It's one of the few times where any Stan who is also a rapper could've written his verse for him. That being said, if he, one day, would drop this verse out of nowhere, it probably would be pretty great for new Eminem standards. 5/10

Without Me - Okay, while this is without a doubt his best first single, I can't say that it's in my top 5 best singles from him. That being said, it is in the top 5 from this album. It's pretty damn great. It's a good way to make a comeback after The Marshall Mathers LP gave confusion about what he would rap about. I'm not much a fan of the superhero concept, but it's use in the video makes it somewhat excusable. The third verse has some of his most spectacular rhyming on the album. The "Fix your bent antenna tune it in and then I'm gonna/Enter in, getting under your skin like a splinter" bars are one of the best bars on the album. But, with that being said, few bars can come across as somewhat attention whore-ish, but then again, it's pretty obvious why, when he had to make a poppy yet still edgy comeback single. The beat is somewhat fun to listen to, and is a good signature Eminem sound. While somewhat suffering from overplay, just like every one of his first singles besides We Made You, it's, again, unskippable, and while flawed, it's a great listen, even on it's own.

Sing for the Moment - Great, and nearly perfect song. Good sample (can you even call it a sample? It's just a hip hop interpretation of Dream On, in which the beat IS that song), perfect verses. Yeah, that's the second song I'm describing as having 'perfect' verses, but I still believe that I'm right, because without a doubt, there's no category or angle where they fall short. This is the most inherently interesting song on the album, but it's executed so perfectly that there's really nothing to analyze or say. 10/10

Superman - Okay, I'm not going to make any friends with this review, but I'm standing by my opinion. This song is one of the laziest songs he's ever done, and is actually the true definition of filler. The concept is tired and for Eminem to be doing it, just isn't right, ESPECIALLY during the beginning of his prime stages. The beat is probably the best thing about the song, which isn't saying much. Eminem trashing women has always been a part of his music, but the creativity and dark & bitter nature of it strayed from "get out my bed hoe yo" type of women bashing that has always been a part of rap. Eminem's take on this concept doesn't have any sort of a twist, it's just the straight-forward concept done with about the same quality. It's purely a chore to listen to and review. The hook is laughable, and generic, much like Soldier. However, unlike Soldier, where the actual verses had real depth, this song's verses are just as bland and paper-thin as the hook and concept (which while being a somewhat original one, isn't done originally enough to give it a pass). All around, it's unremarkable, bland, skippable by far, and just a chore to listen to. 6.5/10

Hailie's Song - I take back everything negative I said about this song, it's great. From memory, it was worse, but upon relistening, I can't believe myself. This song is fantastic. While I stick to my opinion that the singing portion isn't executed that well, but that's the point, again. This is so much more honest than the previous track that it bears pausing the record to regain your composure. He manages to take the sentiments of Soldier that I sigh at and flip them in a way that makes me empathize with him. The 'my insecurities could eat me alive' bars are purely fantastic. The rapped verse is flawless. 9/10

When The Music Stops - Eminem has a purely flawless verse. That's all that needs to be said about this song by far. It's another definition of filler, next to Say What You Say, which happens to come next. The beat is fantastic. D12's verses are a chore to listen to, let alone enjoy. Bizarre is half-cringeworthy half-laughable like always. 5.5/10

Say What You Say - From a long streak of amazing collaborations with Dre & Eminem, comes this. The beat is a bunch of random underproduced production noises set on loop. This should've been put on some Jermaine Dupre mixtape from 2003 that only 42 people would hear anyways. Eminem's verses are about as generic as The Eminem Show's version of generic can get, with him sloppily rhyming, and more rambling about how he's totally cool, also some rambling about how great it is that him and Dre are friends. It's not that they're specifically "bad", but who really is interested in hearing Eminem talk in a fake tough voice about how amazing it is that he can get you blackballed because you said he was Canibus, and being fake-ly overprotective over Mr. Detox himself. The last 6 verse bars are actually pretty good, but even the decent bars are overshadowed by Eminem's struggling to sound like he doesn't give a fuck but is totally cool over Dre's painkiller looping beat. Dre's verses sound like the most drugged up uninterested un-pissed-off things a non-writer can do. 4.5/10

Til I Collapse - ALL HAS BEEN SAID. 10/10

Mah Dayds Gon Craaaazy - I think everyone knows how every review of this song is supposed to go - the first two verses are kinda just there, while the third is exceptional. I actually think the song is better than almost anyone else does. All the first two verses have to do to make the song's point is be central casting versions of Eminem's music to this point in his career, and they're enjoyable at that. While I don't enjoy the hook sonically, the notion that Eminem's in on the joke and knows the appeal of him is that he really is everything his detractors say about him (at least in 2002). The third verse (with that brilliant, brilliant last bar) seals the song as a classic. 9.5/10
I'm not a faggot, I enjoy vagina.
Satan
Soldier
Soldier

Re: The Eminem Show - Track by Track Review

Postby Raul » Jan 10th, '14, 23:26

Python's reviews Image

Well, here are my thoughts on this review. I disagree with every Encore bashing you did.

Square Dance is perfection, Business is perfection, rating for Superman is kinda low. Say What You Say rating is too high.

That being said, great review from a top 3 member. whew.

#encorefam
Raul
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Jaba » Jan 11th, '14, 04:28

raul-valente wrote:Python's reviews Image

Well, here are my thoughts on this review. I disagree with every Encore bashing you did.

Excatly, even though he didn't get better on Encore, Encore had good tracks. (YBR. ED, Puke, LTS, Encore, 1S2S, etc.)
Singin' "Bagpipes from Baghdad" again
In my dad's drag draggin' a faggot in a Glad bag
Won't be the last time I make a dramatic entrance like that again
You thought I was lyin' when I said I think that I'm crossin' the line again
I've lost my mind, caution oh God I think I've just thought of another fucking line
Forgive me father, for I have sinned
But hip hop has left me brainwashed with a violent streak
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brainless BadGuy » Jan 11th, '14, 14:31

I thought this was a well written review although obviously I disagree with some parts of it. Do you prefer TES or MMLP?
Q. What did Eminem say to 50 when he caught him wearing a sweater?
A. GEE YOU KNITT??

I ain't no fucking G, I'm a cannibal
I ain't tryin to shoot you, I'm tryin to chop you into pieces and eat you
Wrap you in rope and plastic, stab you with broken glass
And have you with open gashes strapped to a soakin mattress
Coke and acid, black magic, cloaks and daggers
Fuck the planet, 'til it spins on a broken axis
Brainless BadGuy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Notalius » Jan 11th, '14, 17:35

Encore deserves every bashing it gets, don't be butthurt guys.

I agree with almost everything except what you said about Business. Yeah, maybe it's 'just' a rappidy rap track, but even if it is, the album is called Eminem show, with everything that Em felt at that time made Eminem, Eminem. He even tells everyone that this shit is too easy and he basically implies that he's the best without even really trying. The song fits perfectly where it is. Square dance is way off but heeey .. it's your opinion

Oh and I disagree with Soldier being a 8.5 .. the song is a 10 WITH THE HOOK .. the fact that you lower a rating based on a generic hook, how you called it, is funny as fuck. The hook is goat, the verses are goat, the song is goat. Case closed.

And superman's rating is too low .. just like 2 other songs, but not by much.

My Last Shoutout - My Last Will

http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175438

So kids, am I worth it ? Did I put enough work in ?

#GiveCanadaPureTheDick | 04.12.2014 - The day TR was closed forever

We are here now --> http://www.hiphopshelter.com
Notalius
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby shadyblogger » Jan 11th, '14, 18:24

Notalius wrote:Encore deserves every bashing it gets, don't be butthurt guys.

I agree with almost everything except what you said about Business. Yeah, maybe it's 'just' a rappidy rap track, but even if it is, the album is called Eminem show, with everything that Em felt at that time made Eminem, Eminem. He even tells everyone that this shit is too easy and he basically implies that he's the best without even really trying. The song fits perfectly where it is. Square dance is way off but heeey .. it's your opinion

Oh and I disagree with Soldier being a 8.5 .. the song is a 10 WITH THE HOOK .. the fact that you lower a rating based on a generic hook, how you called it, is funny as fuck. The hook is goat, the verses are goat, the song is goat. Case closed.

And superman's rating is too low .. just like 2 other songs, but not by much.

I agree with your corrections to OP's review on The Eminem Show.

I don't agree with your opinion on Encore however :shakehead:
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby stylzjaw » Jan 12th, '14, 18:52

Brainless BadGuy wrote:I thought this was a well written review although obviously I disagree with some parts of it. Do you prefer TES or MMLP?
stylzjaw
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Satan » Jan 12th, '14, 19:04

bigray wrote:
chikachika wrote:Superman is one of the best songs on the album

Business, square dance, are GOAT songs

and the chorus on soldier>

Yep agree 100% but I never take anything python says literally.

Ah, yes, you almost forgot to comment on this one! You're doing a super job keeping up.
I'm not a faggot, I enjoy vagina.
Satan
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UofLCard » Jan 12th, '14, 23:44

Do this for Encore.
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Postby Snakebeast » Jan 13th, '14, 02:13

UofLCard wrote:Do this for Encore.

He did. It was shit though.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)
Snakebeast
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Trimss » Jan 13th, '14, 02:20

Say Goodbye Hollywood 15/10

will listen right now.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Notalius » Jan 13th, '14, 02:42

Trimss wrote:Say Goodbye Hollywood 15/10

will listen right now.

totally off ... 20/10 tbh

My Last Shoutout - My Last Will

http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175438

So kids, am I worth it ? Did I put enough work in ?

#GiveCanadaPureTheDick | 04.12.2014 - The day TR was closed forever

We are here now --> http://www.hiphopshelter.com
Notalius
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby unmissingpiece » Jan 13th, '14, 02:56

I agree with most of this. Soldier is a 10/10 for me though.

I never liked Square Dance as much as most people here do... don't really know why.
unmissingpiece
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby UofLCard » Jan 13th, '14, 02:57

unmissingpiece wrote:I never liked Square Dance as much as most people here do... don't really know why.

I like the verses, but the beat gets on my nerves.
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Postby unmissingpiece » Jan 13th, '14, 03:03

UofLCard wrote:
unmissingpiece wrote:I never liked Square Dance as much as most people here do... don't really know why.

I like the verses, but the beat gets on my nerves.

Yeahhh, it could be the beat actually. It's also a little slow, too.
unmissingpiece
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Next

Return to Shady Reviews