The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Guts Over Fear

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

Re: Guts Over Fear

Postby shadyblogger » Aug 26th, '14, 01:02

excitaz wrote:I was honestly amazed when i realized he used the same rhyme scene trough the whole song, just like in Legacy.

Me too brotha. It was way more noticeable that he was using the same rhyme scheme on Legacy. This was a lot more subtle imo.
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Excita » Aug 26th, '14, 01:09

Blogs McGooch wrote:
excitaz wrote:I was honestly amazed when i realized he used the same rhyme scene trough the whole song, just like in Legacy.

Me too brotha. It was way more noticeable that he was using the same rhyme scheme on Legacy. This was a lot more subtle imo.

The way he ended to it also was pretty dope :y:
Excita
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DetroitSkills » Aug 26th, '14, 01:10

10/10
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby shadyblogger » Aug 26th, '14, 01:34

Love the part:

"But thank you, ma, ‘cause that gave me the
Strength to cause Shady-mania"
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Excita » Aug 26th, '14, 01:40

Blogs McGooch wrote:Love the part:

"But thank you, ma, ‘cause that gave me the
Strength to cause Shady-mania"
Excita
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TheBoss123 » Aug 26th, '14, 01:59

StayWideAwake wrote:This song really mellows me out for some reason. In a good way though.

me too, I feel that was part of the intention, with some of the lyrics being directly aimed at his listeners.. more so than normal... like the "let the a-holes talk, take it with a grain of salt, ear their fuckin faces off" part.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mwm5952 » Aug 26th, '14, 03:06

Agree with the poster who said it was the first time they thought about Em retiring. I've been listening to em since the SSLP, and have heard basically everything ever since. This was the first time I thought about him retiring and it made me a little melancholy.

I feel like this song could have been the intro to his final cd, or the last song on his final cd, and I would have been extremely pleased either way. Verse 2 is fucking awesome. I love it. No one has mentioned this yet, but it completely reminds me of his feature on SH's "Our House" as far as flow, but I'm not comparing the two in any other way (even tho I really like his our house verse). Anyone else hear that?
the criminal cop killing hip hop filling minimal swat to cop millions of pac listeners
mwm5952
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Sea triscuit » Aug 26th, '14, 05:52

mwm5952 wrote:Agree with the poster who said it was the first time they thought about Em retiring. I've been listening to em since the SSLP, and have heard basically everything ever since. This was the first time I thought about him retiring and it made me a little melancholy.

I feel like this song could have been the intro to his final cd, or the last song on his final cd, and I would have been extremely pleased either way. Verse 2 is fucking awesome. I love it. No one has mentioned this yet, but it completely reminds me of his feature on SH's "Our House" as far as flow, but I'm not comparing the two in any other way (even tho I really like his our house verse). Anyone else hear that?

I feel ya on the Our House comparison, I was thinking the same
Sea triscuit
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby shadyblogger » Aug 26th, '14, 05:57

Sea triscuit wrote:
mwm5952 wrote:Agree with the poster who said it was the first time they thought about Em retiring. I've been listening to em since the SSLP, and have heard basically everything ever since. This was the first time I thought about him retiring and it made me a little melancholy.

I thought the same thing as well
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Excita » Aug 26th, '14, 06:24

Blogs McGooch wrote:
Sea triscuit wrote:

I thought the same thing as well

Same, it has some type of Our House vibe.
1k posts btw
Excita
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Shpongle » Aug 26th, '14, 10:31

I love it, love the lyrics and everything about it :y: 9/10
Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mr Evil » Aug 26th, '14, 13:44

It's a good track, I wouldn't say great because the lyrics are nothing new + the chorus is far too long.
I don't love it as much as most
S/O to Bizarre for wearing a WonderBra

CanadaPure wrote:Mr Evil and I will have to mud wrestle with Hesky to get him under control
Horse wrote:Evil for 2015 vet
Mr Evil
Soldier
Soldier

Postby kkaniff » Aug 26th, '14, 14:29

Mr Evil wrote:It's a good track, I wouldn't say great because the lyrics are nothing new + the chorus is far too long.

They aren't?
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
Stuck out like a sore thumb, so I gave them the finger
There is only one God, the Crippled Godd
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mr Evil » Aug 26th, '14, 14:45

kkaniff wrote:
Mr Evil wrote:It's a good track, I wouldn't say great because the lyrics are nothing new + the chorus is far too long.

They aren't?

Seems like he's said it a kabillion eighty times. I likes how he admits this tho
S/O to Bizarre for wearing a WonderBra

CanadaPure wrote:Mr Evil and I will have to mud wrestle with Hesky to get him under control
Horse wrote:Evil for 2015 vet
Mr Evil
Soldier
Soldier

Postby kkaniff » Aug 26th, '14, 17:53

Seems like he's said it a kabillion eighty times. I likes how he admits this tho

Forgive me if it feels like I'm on your case, but actually, no, he hasn't.
Entire first verse was new to me.
You could say that the second verse was him rehashing old topics, but that would be equivalent of saying all Wayne raps about is pussy, money and weed.
Or Drake only raps about women.
You understand?
I feel that that "I have nothing else to rap about" line is going to be the new "If I was Black, I would have sold half"; quoted indiscriminately, and without regard to context, to support asinine arguments.
The context of this song being, "here I am, naked, with all my insecurities and fears laid out, I will not run".
Upon reflection, I understand why people would prefer a "We Made You" to a "Not Afraid", why people would appreciate your art when you don't give a fuck.
Because showing insecurity, showing that you care, is very often mistaken for weakness.
But it isn't, really, which is why this song is probably the bravest thing Eminem has ever done.
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
Stuck out like a sore thumb, so I gave them the finger
There is only one God, the Crippled Godd
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Shady Reviews