The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Was 'Encore'... Changed?

Here you can review anything related to Slim Shady

Re: Was 'Encore'... Changed?

Postby Spyder » Jan 12th, '10, 21:58

EminemBase wrote:1. Curtains Up
2. Evil Deeds/ i hate this song
3. Never Enough
4. Yellow Brick Road/ never really felt it
5. Like Toy Soldiers/ to bland for me actually
6. Mosh/ got boring after first time
7. Puke/ very bad structurally, though its ight to listen to
8. Ricky Ticky Tock
9. Paul (skit)
10. We As Americans
11. Bully
12. Em Calls Paul (skit)
13. Just Lose It/ goofy single yes.. but worse than WMY or MNI or TRSS
14. Love You More
15. Spend Some Time
16. Mockingbird
17. Crazy In Love/ didnt like
18. One Shot 2 Shot/ worst D12 collab
19. Final Thought (skit)
20. Encore

not arguing, just i think those 4 songs being on there wouldnt make that much of a difference when Em wasnt concentrating on multies and serious content...
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby EminemBase » Jan 13th, '10, 00:03

Spyder wrote:
EminemBase wrote:1. Curtains Up
2. Evil Deeds/ i hate this song
3. Never Enough
4. Yellow Brick Road/ never really felt it
5. Like Toy Soldiers/ to bland for me actually
6. Mosh/ got boring after first time
7. Puke/ very bad structurally, though its ight to listen to
8. Ricky Ticky Tock
9. Paul (skit)
10. We As Americans
11. Bully
12. Em Calls Paul (skit)
13. Just Lose It/ goofy single yes.. but worse than WMY or MNI or TRSS
14. Love You More
15. Spend Some Time
16. Mockingbird
17. Crazy In Love/ didnt like
18. One Shot 2 Shot/ worst D12 collab
19. Final Thought (skit)
20. Encore

not arguing, just i think those 4 songs being on there wouldnt make that much of a difference when Em wasnt concentrating on multies and serious content...

Well I don't agree about multis, that's not the most important thing. His music became more and more content driven each album and less about rhyming. But he still always kept it tight and experimented / pushed the word-boundries in some way.

I dunno how you can say it's not serious content though. "Yellow Brick Road" touches on the 'racist' tape and explained the whole background scenario and another section of his childhood. In a great, sober tale. "Like Toy Soldiers" is as serious as a heat attack. I don't particularly like it but you couldn't make a more serious song lol.

"Mosh" is a direct attack at the president, the way on Iraq and a stomping political thumper. You got "Never Enough" too which touches on his position / legacy as a rapper. You got "Crazy in Love" where as apposed to killing Kim he's saying how he can't live without her, poetically and maturely.

It's some of his most serious and mature content period. Like I said, take away those four joke songs that very likely replaced "Ricky Ticky Toc" - "We As Americans" - "Love You More" and "Bully" and you've got an even more serious album. Those four being very serious in subject matter and execution too.

I think if he stuck with the concept more, lost the silly shit, tightened it up a bit. Would of been close to another straight classic.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby Spyder » Jan 13th, '10, 00:16

tru at those songs being what u said
but Mosh doesnt touch White America
and Crazy in Love was goofy and wasnt lyrically great
Relapse has fantastic rhymes and multies but is mostly silly, and is better than Encore for that reason
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby EminemBase » Jan 13th, '10, 04:15

Spyder wrote:tru at those songs being what u said
but Mosh doesnt touch White America
and Crazy in Love was goofy and wasnt lyrically great
Relapse has fantastic rhymes and multies but is mostly silly, and is better than Encore for that reason

Well "Mosh" doesn't touch "White America" as a political song in some aspects. But they're different songs with different goals and inspirations. It's like I find it hard to compare any two Eminem albums because they're so different. The Eminem Show and Encore would probably be the easiest to make a true vs. comparison. Obviously TES wins.

But just because "Mosh" didn't beat that in some aspects, it achieved other lyrical heights in different ways. It was more mature, more poetic, thumping chorus, felt braver... They're both great.

Also I wouldn't say Relapse is better just because he rhymes better. And most of it isn't silly to me either. Most of it is murder. With twisted humour. Big difference between that and silly to me. He says silly stuff but it's presented in a crafted, professional and precise way. It's sharp and crisp.

Relapse is just better to me because the theme works, aside from "Crack a Bottle". It feels like a complete album. Where as Encore feels like a mixed bag. But I don't rate albums or his albums just on how well he rhymes. A lot of factors come into it.

I totally disagree about "Crazy in Love" being goofy and not lyrically great though.

"You are the ink to my paper, what my pen is to my pad
The moral, the very fibre, the whole substance to my rap
You are my reason for being, the meaning of my existence
If it wasn't for you, I would never be able to spit this as intense as I do
and the irony is you rely on me as much as I rely on you, to inspire me like you do..."

"Your my entire supply gas, the match and igniter
The only way that I'm able to stay so stable is your the legs to my table
If you were to break, I'd fall on my face"

It's beautiful poetic lyricism. It's not pompus though. It's poetic love-poetry, done with the same badass subversive-tint as everything else he does and the flow as magnetic. Some of his best lyricism on that song to me.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby Emadyville » Jan 13th, '10, 04:37

I htink crazy in love is one of his dumbest songs, like it sounds good and the sample in its good, but idk people like it, I'm not sure why :unsure:
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby EminemBase » Jan 13th, '10, 05:38

Emadyville wrote:I htink crazy in love is one of his dumbest songs, like it sounds good and the sample in its good, but idk people like it, I'm not sure why :unsure:

Dumb :confusion:

Well I like it for the reasons I just explained. It inhibits some of his most expressive, poetic and mature lyricism. It's an evolution and the flow is superb.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby 2sDay » Jan 17th, '10, 06:28

Geno wrote:Crazy In Love isn't about Kim?

Sounds like it is.

I think it's Tonya :confusion:
The 2sDay Massacre
Props to Solace and dR.dR3

3 AM>Relapse, Beautiful>Deja Vu, 2sDay>Every Other Day, dR.dR3>Dr. Dre
2sDay
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Relapse.LP » Jan 17th, '10, 08:30

Crazy In Love has the most ridiculously sing-song, in a bad way, beat on Encore, IMO, excluding some of the other disgustingly terrible songs like Big Weenie and One Shot 2 Shot.

Despite his consistent flow, his voice fucking annoys me on that song. It sounds like he's talking to some kid on drugs instead of rapping and it also seems like he's on the verge to sing, but he's too fucking drunk to hit the notes/pitch right, so he resorts to saying it in a la-la tone. :confusion:
Yo, from the first to the last of it; delivery is passionate/
The whole and not the half of it; vocab and not the math of it/
Projectile that them blasted with; accurate assassin shit/
Me and Kweli close like... Bethlehem and Nazareth/

-Black Star, Definition

Live free. Die hard.
Relapse.LP
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Tornado » Jan 17th, '10, 20:17

Crazy In Love is hated on because it sounds corny-sing songy rap but to be honest, iy's a fucking awesome track, i mean to flow that good and still have good lyrics and meaning.you must not like the sound of em's singing.

Aside from the stupid shit, Encore wouldn't have been as good any anything before because not everything is fire. One Shot Two Shot? I personally like it but it's nothing speical, bland 6/10ville. Spend Some Time? 3 features get destroyed by em's verse which drags the track down...and Encore/Curtains Down?....it's good 7/10 but it'snot fire like you know he could spit
3K & Out
Tornado
Role Model
Role Model

Previous

Return to Shady Reviews